ATT 3G Network Service?

downsized

I see from ATT's coverage map that their 3G network covers most of the islands, but the map very carefully only overlays the land. I'm wondering if anyone has succesfully been able to receive 3G service while underway?

I would suspect that the service is spotty at best (especially further from land) but am very much interested if anyone has any experience with this.

I'm able to tether my laptop to my phone, so at least in port (in theory anyway) I should be able to check my e-mails that way.

Most of the time, instead of 3 G, you get the edge network on the Iphone which is slightly slower, but still adequate for emails. Just be careful about the charges. If you are not in a US territory, like Puerto Rico or St. Thomas, those charges for data transfer will cost a fortune. Better to find a spot that offers free wifi, like a Starbucks and check your emails there or go to an internet cafe - fees are much more reasonable than through your cell phone.

Thanks Benita. I appreciate the quick response.

Yes, Edge is slower, but still more than adequate for my needs.

I've no desire to tether myself to my laptop for those 7 days, but (unfortunately) even while in Paradise, I need to check the darned e-mails. :confused:

I see from ATT's coverage map that their 3G network covers most of the islands, but the map very carefully only overlays the land. I'm wondering if anyone has succesfully been able to receive 3G service while underway?

I would suspect that the service is spotty at best (especially further from land) but am very much interested if anyone has any experience with this.

I'm able to tether my laptop to my phone, so at least in port (in theory anyway) I should be able to check my e-mails that way.

Once you are out of port cities and out of "line-of-sight" of those cities at sea you will encounter the dreaded "No Service" or even worse "Searching for Service" which will wear your battery down very quickly. We have broadband cards for the laptop and that's was the way it was for us.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the POA in June with my iPhone and was pleasantly surprised to have 3G service most of the time, even while sailing. There were no extra charges on my next month's bill. My hubby was on Nextel and had no issues, either.

Archived