Balcony vs. inside cabin when pregnant?

Cosmo013

Hi everyone,

I am pregnant and we are thinking about booking a Hawaiian cruise on Princess. I am already aware of the 24 week cut off, and that's not an issue. I will be in my second trimester, so I am hoping that morning sickness will not be an issue by that point. But to be on the safe side, I'm wondering two things:

1. I have only cruised along the coast before. Is a cruise like this, with 4 days across the open ocean, usually a lot rougher?

2. Would a particular type of cabin be better in case I do feel sick? I know we want midship, but we usually prefer to book an inside cabin so we can save the money. Is there anything about a balcony, or the ability to open a window, that would help if I'm feeling nauseous? It's a 2 week cruise, and approx. $1000 more for the cabin if we go up to a balcony.

Thanks in advance!

First, windows do NOT open on ships---only DOORS open! So, if you have a window cabin, it's only to let in light...not air!

You should talk to your doctor about what meds you can take should you experience seasickness. You won't be in your cabin 24/7---you'll be out and about...so the motion will affect you....the sea around the islands can get quite choppy.

You already know to book something mid-ships...and something in the center of the passenger decks would be good, too.

Talk to your doctor about what you might be able to take to quell any nausea...that would be a miserable trip, if you were sick!

My wife was 4 mos pregnant years ago on a Nov Caribbean cruise with one day of very rough seas. We had inside midship which I suppose helped but she had no real problem. We rested in bed like most OP while the ship was rolling through 20 ft seas. Did not seem to bother us laying flat. Never missed a meal, but I would definitely consult your DR for any contingency. Good luck.

Archived