Angkor Wat from Sihanoukville, Cambodia - Siem Reip, Cambodia - Bangkok, Thailand

Jade13

I am looking for both Tour guide information and flight information to leave our ship in February for an overnight trip to see Angkor Wat.

Our ship will dock in Shihanoukville, Cambodia (scheduled for 6:00am) on a Sunday and I understand it is a 4 hour drive to the airport? My understanding is that a flight to Bangkok the next day (ship scheduled to dock at 4:00pm for 2 nights) is only a 45 minute flight. Is the only option BangKok Airways? I just realized this is a Sunday so may be a problem (or limited schedule).

We would need a driver/guide from Shihanoukville, one in Siem Reip, including pick-up from the airport, drop-off at hotel and back to the airport the next day, and a driver from the airport in Bangkok, which may include a mini tour in Bangkok depending on our flight time (since our ship isn't scheduled to arrive until 4:00pm).

Any suggestions would be great.

I am looking for both Tour guide information and flight information to leave our ship in February for an overnight trip to see Angkor Wat.

Our ship will dock in Shihanoukville, Cambodia (scheduled for 6:00am) on a Sunday and I understand it is a 4 hour drive to the airport? My understanding is that a flight to Bangkok the next day (ship scheduled to dock at 4:00pm for 2 nights) is only a 45 minute flight. Is the only option BangKok Airways? I just realized this is a Sunday so may be a problem (or limited schedule).

We would need a driver/guide from Shihanoukville, one in Siem Reip, including pick-up from the airport, drop-off at hotel and back to the airport the next day, and a driver from the airport in Bangkok, which may include a mini tour in Bangkok depending on our flight time (since our ship isn't scheduled to arrive until 4:00pm).

Any suggestions would be great.

5 flights per day out of Phnom Penh to REP-all on prop planes. Earliest I would book is the 12:25PM flight. Just hire a taxi to get you from Shinanoukville to PP-pay NO MORE $75.00 (and even that is a little high, but you want a GOOD taxi). Taxis are found at the downtown bus station and also there is a taxi station on Street 108, so you have to figure out how to get from the port to the taxi/bus station. I would be leary hiring a local taxi hanging around the pier without the driver having a GOOD command of English and a VERY FIXED price. There are taxis that run daily between PP and Sville and there are local Sville taxis. I would choose the former.

There is also the bus-much cheaper and takes about the same time. The Mekong Express bus departs Sville at 8:30AM and drops you off on the Riverfront not too far from my hotel about noon, so it would be a rush to get on the 12:25PM flight. You have to get a taxi from the Quay to the airport.

Bangkok Airways has the only DIRECT flights. There is also JetAsia and a couple of other LCC's and Vietnam airlines, but you fly through Vietnam or via a round about route using the LCC's (JetAsia, Star Asia, etc). Vietnam Airlines is expensive most of the time. MAKE sure you find out which airport you arrive Bangkok. Not that it matters much, but sometimes they change the airport (the new airport is the international airport), but Bangkok Air is known to also fly into the older airport on occasion. Flight is generally an hour to an hour 1/4, depending whether you take the prop flight or the Airbus. There is a taxi service desk in the new airport. Have the name of the port written out in Thai-it will help. Really no need to get a specific driver from the airport back to the ship unless you want to. I would spend my time in Siem Rep since you are spending a couple hundred bucks per person just to get there plus hotel. Take a mid afternoon flight (3 ish) back to Bangkok and you should be just right on time to go to your ship.

You really don't need a guide at Angkor Wat, especially with the short time you will be there. BUT if you want one, EVERY decent hotel has guides either on staff or accessible, so don't even need to get one before you get there. And any decent hotel has airport pickup service. Some charge, some it is free. My favorite hotel in REP is the FCC. http://www.fcccambodia.com/angkor/. If available, book a pool side room. Very boutique, very nice and away from the "touristy" atmosphere of some of the hotels.

Guides and tuk-tuks available at the FCC (there are tuk-tuk drivers that hang out in the alley by the office and they are MUCH cheaper than the ones in the office, but they are TRANSPORT ONLY, not guides). The tour prices are posted on the FCC website. You have to buy a pass for the temples when you enter. There are also a couple hot air balloon rides which are simply spectacular. The one in front of the temple goes no place, but the other one flies you over the tops of the temples. IIRC-it was $150.00 for as many people as the basket would hold.

Enjoy!!!!

5 flights per day out of Phnom Penh to REP-all on prop planes. Earliest I would book is the 12:25PM flight. Just hire a taxi to get you from Shinanoukville to PP-pay NO MORE $75.00 (and even that is a little high, but you want a GOOD taxi). Taxis are found at the downtown bus station and also there is a taxi station on Street 108, so you have to figure out how to get from the port to the taxi/bus station. I would be leary hiring a local taxi hanging around the pier without the driver having a GOOD command of English and a VERY FIXED price. There are taxis that run daily between PP and Sville and there are local Sville taxis. I would choose the former.

There is also the bus-much cheaper and takes about the same time. The Mekong Express bus departs Sville at 8:30AM and drops you off on the Riverfront not too far from my hotel about noon, so it would be a rush to get on the 12:25PM flight. You have to get a taxi from the Quay to the airport.

Bangkok Airways has the only DIRECT flights. There is also JetAsia and a couple of other LCC's and Vietnam airlines, but you fly through Vietnam or via a round about route using the LCC's (JetAsia, Star Asia, etc). Vietnam Airlines is expensive most of the time. MAKE sure you find out which airport you arrive Bangkok. Not that it matters much, but sometimes they change the airport (the new airport is the international airport), but Bangkok Air is known to also fly into the older airport on occasion. Flight is generally an hour to an hour 1/4, depending whether you take the prop flight or the Airbus. There is a taxi service desk in the new airport. Have the name of the port written out in Thai-it will help. Really no need to get a specific driver from the airport back to the ship unless you want to. I would spend my time in Siem Rep since you are spending a couple hundred bucks per person just to get there plus hotel. Take a mid afternoon flight (3 ish) back to Bangkok and you should be just right on time to go to your ship.

You really don't need a guide at Angkor Wat, especially with the short time you will be there. BUT if you want one, EVERY decent hotel has guides either on staff or accessible, so don't even need to get one before you get there. And any decent hotel has airport pickup service. Some charge, some it is free. My favorite hotel in REP is the FCC. http://www.fcccambodia.com/angkor/. If available, book a pool side room. Very boutique, very nice and away from the "touristy" atmosphere of some of the hotels.

Guides and tuk-tuks available at the FCC (there are tuk-tuk drivers that hang out in the alley by the office and they are MUCH cheaper than the ones in the office, but they are TRANSPORT ONLY, not guides). The tour prices are posted on the FCC website. You have to buy a pass for the temples when you enter. There are also a couple hot air balloon rides which are simply spectacular. The one in front of the temple goes no place, but the other one flies you over the tops of the temples. IIRC-it was $150.00 for as many people as the basket would hold.

Enjoy!!!!

Thanks!

Right now the Phom Penh to Siem Rep Flight (AT R72) is $52.00 and Siem Rep to Bangkok (Airbus 330) is $130.00 or $133.00. I guess if we are going to do this we should not wait to book the flights? I could not find the baggage restrictions on the airplanes but would hope we could bring one small gym type duffle on the plane for the two of us plus our backpacks (mine is a really a camera bag but DH's would fit cloths for one night).

I thought I had read it was a 4 hour ride from Shinanoukville to Phnom Phen? The hot air balloon sounds great. How many people fit?

Enjoy!!!!

This hotel looks nice and airport pick-up is included. The best available rate pool view on our date is $160.00 plus 10% plus 2%. The web site says they need payment upfront and than it says you can fax a credit card hold. Is there a way to email credit card info?

Cancellation Policy

Full Prepayment is required by the FCC Angkor to guarantee a reservation. This may be made confidentially by secure server - Pay Pal at the time of making a reservation or by sending the FCC Angkor a credit card guarantee by fax.

I can recommend the Mekong Express, this way you'll see more of the countryside and less hanging around the airport, takes around 4 hours. Another hotel which you may want to look at in Siem Reap is the Bopha Angkor - very pretty pool area and close to the markets, restaurants, etc.

I can recommend the Mekong Express, this way you'll see more of the countryside and less hanging around the airport, takes around 4 hours. Another hotel which you may want to look at in Siem Reap is the Bopha Angkor - very pretty pool area and close to the markets, restaurants, etc.

Chris, thanks. I'll check out the hotel.

The only issue with the bus is that (per Greatam) it doesn't leave until 8:30am. We are scheduled to dock at 6:00am. If we found a taxi by 7:00am we could make the 12:30pm (ish) plane.

• 3 weeks later...
I would spend my time in Siem Rep since you are spending a couple hundred bucks per person just to get there plus hotel. Take a mid afternoon flight (3 ish) back to Bangkok and you should be just right on time to go to your ship.

Enjoy!!!!

Greatam, I am planning to book the 12:25pm from PNH - REP and 1:25pm the next day from REP to BKK, so will have 24 hours in Siem Reap. The next flight after 1:25pm appears to be 5:00pm. We would be back in Bangkok in time to meet the ship at 4:00pm. Also, possibility to take a ships excursion for dinner and show or dinner and river cruise departing at 6:00pm in Bangkok (I'd never get my Dh back off the ship and out again if it's not pre-paid).

My question is what is the best use of our limited time in Siem Reap. It looks like Angkor Wat closes at 6:00pm and opens at 6:00am. I understand there are lots of temples in the area. I also wanted to know if there is a web address for the hot air balloons that you mention? Also, this is still an international flight to Bangkok so do we need to be at the airport at 11:45am for a 1:25pm flight?

Jade 13 - Are you by chance on the Azamara Jan 9th sailing from HKG? I've been looking at this also and your dates are the same as ours.

No, our Azamara cruise starts in February. I was already planning but Azamara wants $1,600.00pp to do this as a 2 night excursion. Their itinerary includes a stop at the Palace in Bangkok prior to returning to the ship.

Greatam, I am planning to book the 12:25pm from PNH - REP and 1:25pm the next day from REP to BKK, so will have 24 hours in Siem Reap. The next flight after 1:25pm appears to be 5:00pm. We would be back in Bangkok in time to meet the ship at 4:00pm. Also, possibility to take a ships excursion for dinner and show or dinner and river cruise departing at 6:00pm in Bangkok (I'd never get my Dh back off the ship and out again if it's not pre-paid).

My question is what is the best use of our limited time in Siem Reap. It looks like Angkor Wat closes at 6:00pm and opens at 6:00am. I understand there are lots of temples in the area. I also wanted to know if there is a web address for the hot air balloons that you mention? Also, this is still an international flight to Bangkok so do we need to be at the airport at 11:45am for a 1:25pm flight?

Not much time to see anything. You won't get to your hotel until about 1:30PM. But you can make a short trip to the ruins, although if you go two days in a row, you will have to pay for a 3 day pass- $40.00pp. Unless they have changed it in the last 18 months, there is no discount for a 2 day pass-$40 for the 3 day or 2 single day passes for $20.00 each.

MAKE sure you get someone to take you for the sunrise over the temples the next morning-simply spectacular (ask your hotel to make the arrangements for car or tuk-tuk and driver. There are a LOT of temples, so do a little reading if you want to see more than the main temples (which are VERY close together). There is no website that I know of for the balloon rides. There are two balloon rides-one in front of the main temple which basically goes up and then down (but its cheap). And one where you actually fly around the temples. I arranged that in downtown Siem Reap at a backpacker travel agency. You really don't have time to find an agency to book it, so just take the up and down one. REALLY gives you a perspective of how massive the temples are. $15-20pp. There is also a helicopter ride around the temples.

http://www.helicopterscambodia.com/scenic.php

How are you handling the Cambodian visa????

IF you are at the airport by noon, you should be fine. The airport is relatively new and very small. Don't forget-you have to pay $25.00pp departure tax international and $6.00 domestic.

No, our Azamara cruise starts in February. I was already planning but Azamara wants $1,600.00pp to do this as a 2 night excursion. Their itinerary includes a stop at the Palace in Bangkok prior to returning to the ship.

It's a $3.00 water taxi ride from anyplace along the river to the Palace. Or from the airport, just have the taxi driver drop you off if you want to see the Palace. There are plenty of taxis around to get you back to the ship. Or book the river dinner cruise-a fine dinner and cruise for $30-40.00pp, then go back to the ship. Ship excursions are such a rip.

Not much time to see anything. You won't get to your hotel until about 1:30PM. But you can make a short trip to the ruins, although if you go two days in a row, you will have to pay for a 3 day pass- $40.00pp. Unless they have changed it in the last 18 months, there is no discount for a 2 day pass-$40 for the 3 day or 2 single day passes for $20.00 each.

How are you handling the Cambodian visa????

IF you are at the airport by noon, you should be fine. The airport is relatively new and very small. Don't forget-you have to pay $25.00pp departure tax international and $6.00 domestic.

I don't have a problem with the $40.00pp for the "3" day ticket. I looked it up earlier today and believe its still $20.00 or $40.00 for 3 days. Maybe we should book the 5:00pm return flight (I don't think there is anything in between) and skip trying to go out for dinner in Thailand? I want to make a decision in the next few days. My DH is going to want to go back to the ship anyway. I could also try to do a Cambodian show on our one night, although I don't know what's available on a Sunday. We actually have 2 nights in Bangkok.

As far as the Visa, I'll look into it tomorrow. I also have to get a Visa for Bejing, so need to coordinate. When I went to Brazil earlier this year it was easy because there was an embassy near our home and we could do a walk-in.

Btw, I may book the FCC Angkor on-line through a well-known hotel booking company. I emailed them directly last week and they never answered me. I wanted to know if payment was do in full. Since they want CC payment faxed its easier to book through someone else and the price is showing the same. I can't tell if they offer hotel pick-up no matter who you bok through?

Thanks for the tip. I would have eventually looked into it. They take US cash? (credit cards?), probably want $$$.

When you are researching what temple sites to visit in Siem Reap, there are two main complexes, Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom. We visited both, on different days, and each is extremely interesting. If you have time after visiting Angkor Wat, I would recommend visiting Angkor Thom--it has some amazing creepy petrified tree trunks that ooze onto the old decrepit buildings and it appears that they are reaching out to take you into their lair! It was truly amazing to see these ruins and whatever you see, I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

When you are researching what temple sites to visit in Siem Reap, there are two main complexes, Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom. We visited both, on different days, and each is extremely interesting. If you have time after visiting Angkor Wat, I would recommend visiting Angkor Thom--it has some amazing creepy petrified tree trunks that ooze onto the old decrepit buildings and it appears that they are reaching out to take you into their lair! It was truly amazing to see these ruins and whatever you see, I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

Yes, I saw some photographs on-line and I think it was Angkor Thom. Those old buildings and trees are a great photographic opportunity. Is this location usually very crowded? I really would like some photos without a mass of people. How large is this area and are these the ruins where some of Tomb Raider was filmed?

Also, are both covered under the same tickets?

Yes, I saw some photographs on-line and I think it was Angkor Thom. Those old buildings and trees are a great photographic opportunity. Is this location usually very crowded? I really would like some photos without a mass of people. How large is this area and are these the ruins where some of Tomb Raider was filmed?

Also, are both covered under the same tickets?

When we were there in April 2009 there were people, but not crowded. Tourism was way down according to our guide. We have tons of photos without people. And, yes, this is where part of Tomb Raider was filmed. Our guide took us to the exact place where they filmed.

Both Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom were covered by the tickets as we had 3-day tickets and wore those tickets both days we were there. Our tour company gave us plastic holders on a lanyard for our tickets (not sure if you get those when you get tickets or if this was part of our tour company) so we wouldn't lose our tickets.

Angkor Thom area is much larger than Angkor Wat, but the temple areas are comparable in size. There is a lot of walking and climbing, but in my opinion, so worth it! Angkor Wat was very crowded in the evening when locals arrive to see the sunset from atop the hill. We didn't stay for that and instead had a private dinner and Aspara dance program at one of the local hotels for our group of 12 (part of our tour package).

Isn't Angkor Thom the one with the elephant rides right in front?? Not like going through the jungle on an elephant, but if you have never been on one, it is another memory you can capture pretty cheap (IIRC, it was $15-20).

I was truly creeped out with the trees and the buildings and a guide who was scaring the sh*t out of me. I was by myself and while I had already been up in the balloon that day, the backpacker travel agency I booked the balloon with INSISTED I take the guide with me after the balloon ride. He wanted to take me to Angkor Thom, so I said OK. Little did I know how creepy it was. But he also made my day because a Cambodian wedding was in the area and he knew the groom. So I got to spend about an hour riding around on these elaborately "dressed" up wagons and eating Cambodian food while in the wagon. They kind of parade around the area when there is a wedding. It was fun and a true Cambodian experience.

There are dinner cruises on the Tonle Sap. I have been on this one http://www.taraboat.com/sunset/index.html and a backpacker one. The Tara was by far the better boat and had better food.

The Khmer Kitchen has very good, very basic Khmer food. And the place is PACKED. Just north of the downtown market (walking distance from the FCC).

If you want to see a Cambodian dance show, Raffles hotel has a show some nights. But the dinner show that is really special is at the Angkor Village. It was $25.00pp 2 years ago-good buffet and dance was excellent. Have your hotel make reservations AND provide transport, unless you hire a tuk-tuk. Cheaper than a taxi and a lot of fun.

You better change your plane to the 5:00PM flight and just go to the ship. You can do the dinner cruise the next night.

You better change your plane to the 5:00PM flight and just go to the ship. You can do the dinner cruise the next night.

Yes, I pretty much figured that out today.

Ok, this will be another thread but know I need to figure out our full day in Bangkok. We want to go to the tiger temple, but if I don't include the Palace & Wat Po, I may not find others on my roll call to join us..and course what about the show or dinner cruise in Thailand...

Greatam - single female here travelling to Vietnam/Cambodia in Oct/Nov this year. You mentioned that you were alone for your tour at Siem Riep - did you travel the whole trip on your own? Any security issues? My travel partner's mum has cancer, so not sure if she will be able to go or not. I figured I could navigate Asia easily enough. Just curious

The info on this thread has been helpful. Thank you.

I

If you want to see a Cambodian dance show, Raffles hotel has a show some nights. But the dinner show that is really special is at the Angkor Village. It was $25.00pp 2 years ago-good buffet and dance was excellent. Have your hotel make reservations AND provide transport, unless you hire a tuk-tuk. Cheaper than a taxi and a lot of fun.

Greatam, I booked the FCC Angkor at your recommendation. Now I am trying to get that on-line agent to honor their price match guarantee. What I have booked is a King Pool View room with breakfast. The other agency has the Pool View room with breakfast at $40.00 less (with taxes). However, online they say "Double Room" instead of "King Room". I am trying to tell them its a small hotel that only has three category rooms, Garden View, Pool View and Suites. The reason I don't just cancel and rebook (yet) is because the other on-line agency has a cancelation fee and the one I booked with has a free night after you book 10 nights (any hotel) with them, whivh is nice if you prefer one of a kind type of hotels.

Any insight on whether the FCC has both "Doubles" and "Kings" would be helpful. I suspect they are the same thing. Btw, I just ran into this same thing at the Grand Hotel in Oslo, however, I booked a Double and when I emailed them they said they were "Kings".

Greatam, I booked the FCC Angkor at your recommendation. Now I am trying to get that on-line agent to honor their price match guarantee. What I have booked is a King Pool View room with breakfast. The other agency has the Pool View room with breakfast at $40.00 less (with taxes). However, online they say "Double Room" instead of "King Room". I am trying to tell them its a small hotel that only has three category rooms, Garden View, Pool View and Suites. The reason I don't just cancel and rebook (yet) is because the other on-line agency has a cancelation fee and the one I booked with has a free night after you book 10 nights (any hotel) with them, whivh is nice if you prefer one of a kind type of hotels.

Any insight on whether the FCC has both "Doubles" and "Kings" would be helpful. I suspect they are the same thing. Btw, I just ran into this same thing at the Grand Hotel in Oslo, however, I booked a Double and when I emailed them they said they were "Kings".

Greatam, Please disregard, I just heard back from the big "on-line" internet hotel booking agency and they are issuing me the refund. The Pool View King with breakfast at FCC ended up costing me $122.76 (plus tax).

"Dear ( )I apologize for any confusion regarding our Price Match Guarantee policy. Since there is not a policy to cover a rate match in which the competing website has entered the room type in incorrectly I will, as a courtesy, issue a refund to you of the difference in rate.

A refund of 41.59 USD has been issued to you...."

This must be the show you recommend?

http://www.angkorvillage.com/theatre.php

Archived