Passport Card

a,j,&fam

. :) I think though, it would be more accurate to say that consulates may waive extra fees rather than don't charge extra fees.
Yes, that is probably more accurate. It does make sense that they might charge the expedite fee to someone without a prior passport; perhaps only in cases of drinking too much Carlos N Charlies vs. having a medical problem???? Just guessing......:p

• 3 weeks later...

Man...wish I had seen this post MONTHS ago. I booked our "first-time" cruise back in January for a family of four. At the time, I asked people at Carnival and my travel agent about the passport policy. NOBODY was able to give me a good answer other than a passport was "strongly recommended".

I'm the type that needs to see something in B&W to believe it. So, "strongly recommended" wasn't good enough. I needed to know for certain before spending the extra cash. All I could find out was that the passport card was definately good enough for sea travel. I didn't see how I benefited from an actual passport...my budget is such that I couldn't foresee flying to Europe anytime soon.

I had heard some horror stories of passports taking forever to be issued in recent years. That, plus the June (or was it July?) date that the new rules started, and I felt that I had to do SOMETHING before it was too late. So, I went ahead and ordered the passport cards without any evidence (in my mind) to not do so.

Of course, as most of you seem to know, since my cruise is closed-loop I don't even need these cards. So, if I had just wanted to be cheap I didn't even need to spend THAT cash. But, the biggest reason for the full passport (as has been noted in this thread several times) is if we need to fly home in an emergency. Oh well...lesson learned.

Besides...what are the chances of an emergency. Huh? (knock on wood)

Archived