Livorno, myself and 5 yr old

Maime

Doing my first cruise 4th -11th of August .It's just myself and my 5 year old. Have booked a Tunis tour and one to Pompeii for ease really (happy independant traveller most of the time) but worried what to do about Livorno.

Have posted in OV site and response suggests I am right in thinking the 9hr tours may be too much for a small child. The only morning trip is to Pisa but you don't get to go up the tower and have hear it's a rush.

Is there somewhere esle I can go that will give us respite from the ship but is fairly simple to get to? As theres two of us taxi's don't work out the cheap option unlike a regular family.

You could take the train to Pisa and come back when you're ready. There's a station (Pisa San Rossore) quite near the Campo dei Miracoli, so you wouldn't have to walk for miles unless you want to. That way you can have as gentle or strenuous a day as you prefer.

Lisa

Your 5 year old will disappointed that he/she is not allowed to climb Tower of Pisa. What about train to Florence? We took our 7 year old to the Da Vinci Museum. It's great for young kids because it's small and "hands-on," with working models of Da Vinci's drawings.

Keep in mind, that the Miracle Square is huge. Tour buses park about 10 minutes away too. It will be a lot of walking for your child to look at Architecture. You will spend time inside the Cathedral which may be boring. I am not sure a child will appreciate Pisa. We also stopped at Lucca on our Pisa/Lucca ships tour. Again the guide will walk you all over town looking at architecture. A child will not be impressed with the walls. It's not Dubrovnik. Lucca at least has some nice bakeries and cafes to stop a with a child.

After our morning Pisa/Lucca tour we went into Livorno. They have a shuttle. For us it was free. I hear they charge now. Not much to do in LIvorno. But I heard they have a HOHO bus. This might be better for a child. Check the internet for info on Livorno HOHO buses.

We are on the same cruise and wondering the same thing...how far is Lucca from Pisa? It would seem that Pisa could be done in half a day but I don't want to end up back at the ship by lunchtime!

Pisa to Lucca is 25-30 mins by train.

When we were in Italy in 2007 with our family (including a 4 year old) the minimum age to climb the tower was 8 years. I don't beliveve that this has changed, so in all likelihood your 5 year old will not be able to climb the tower.

Lucca is very beautiful and relaxing, and my children really enjoyed the stroll around the town walls.

Archived