Bring luggage on/off board

I am waiting anxiously for my cruise coming up on August 17 on the Enchantment of the sea :D But i have a few questions i'm hoping someone can shine some light on.

I was wondering if i can bring my "checked" luggage on board the ship my self? Last time i went cruising it took almost 2 hours for my luggage to come and i ended up staying in my room until it came. The port im departing from is Port Everglades so i was wondering if anyone knows if Royal Caribbean or the port authorities have restrictions in regards to this. (that's both on and off board).

Also, do taxis in Ft. Lauderdale follow the one price system like Miami where i pay a flat rate to get from FL airport to the sea port? And once i do get dropped off how do i know where to walk to get checked in?

Obviously from my questions i am new to cruising : )

Thank you for any help

I am waiting anxiously for my cruise coming up on August 17 on the Enchantment of the sea :D But i have a few questions i'm hoping someone can shine some light on.

I was wondering if i can bring my "checked" luggage on board the ship my self? Last time i went cruising it took almost 2 hours for my luggage to come and i ended up staying in my room until it came. The port im departing from is Port Everglades so i was wondering if anyone knows if Royal Caribbean or the port authorities have restrictions in regards to this. (that's both on and off board).

Also, do taxis in Ft. Lauderdale follow the one price system like Miami where i pay a flat rate to get from FL airport to the sea port? And once i do get dropped off how do i know where to walk to get checked in?

Thank you for any help

Why did you wait for 2 hours for your luggage to get to your room?? Most of us spend that time having lunch, having a drink, touring the ship, having a drink...:)

There really is no reason to wait. Simply pack a carry-on with anything you might need for the first several hours you're on board, and then do whatever you want on the ship...and sometime later that day...or early evening...your luggage will show up and you can unpack.

I've not cruised out of Florida so I can't answer your question specifically, but again..there isn't any reason to wait around in your room. (Did you find out if anyone else did? Probably not!)

Once you get dropped off at the port there are generally either signs, or people with nametags on with your ship's name on them (or at least the company name). You tell the porter -- who will meet your cab (or other transportation) -- which ship you're on (and presumably you have your luggage tags on your luggage with that information on it), and look for someone with your ships name on their nametag, and ask. There are usually plenty of signs all around pointing out the direction. And just go, and have fun!

Make sure you have your cruise documents, passport and other identification with you, though, and not in that checked luggage! :) Have a great cruise!

If your bags will fit through the xray machine at the cruise terminal, you will probably be able to carry them onboard, but consider that schlepping several bags through the relatively narrow passageways on the ship and into and out of the elevators can be a cumbersome process and may create problems for both you and your fellow passengers. Your carryon should contain any medicines and valuables and perhaps a change of clothes that you might need once you board. However, my inclination would be to leave the larger bags to the porters and the personnel on the ship who will deliver them to your room. I can't imagine a scenario where I would stay in my stateroom until the bags were delivered.:rolleyes:

Thank you for any help

You can bring your bags, but why? Pack a small carry on and enjoy the pool, WJ, have an adult beverage. 2 hours is brief, we board at 12noon and generally don't see our bags until 6-7pm. Enjoy yourself!

Thanks everyone for your replies. I actually did wait last time, however it was my first ever cruise, and was quite afraid someone might snatch it. Won't make the same mistake this time.

As I arrive at the taxi dropoff points I should look for a porter first? How should I tip the porter as I do not remember the correct tipping procedures.

You can bring your own luggage as long as it will fit in the x-ray machine. If it's too large, they may hand-inspect it, or somehow divert it to the checked luggage.

There's no need to wait in your room, as long as you are prepare with what you will need for the few hours while they load the luggage. There is lots to do on the ship, so enjoy yourself. Don't sit around waiting for luggage...that doesn't make any sense.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I actually did wait last time, however it was my first ever cruise, and was quite afraid someone might snatch it. Won't make the same mistake this time.

As I arrive at the taxi dropoff points I should look for a porter first? How should I tip the porter as I do not remember the correct tipping procedures.

The porters are unionized longshoremen earning about $60 an hour to take your luggage. No need to tip them. A lot of people do, but I think it is because they do not realize that they are being payed a hefty salary that is not expected to be supplemented by tips.

If you tell your taxi driver what ship you are leaving on, they should know the right spot to drop you off. If for some reason they don't, ask any employee at the port and they will be able to direct you.

As the others have said, no need to wait for your luggage in your room - go out and explore and have fun; it will get there. Do bring all valuables and medications with you in carry on baggage just in case.

Have a nice cruise. :)

The porters are unionized longshoremen earning about $60 an hour to take your luggage. No need to tip them. A lot of people do, but I think it is because they do not realize that they are being payed a hefty salary that is not expected to be supplemented by tips.

Please cite the source of your information.

Usually $1 -$2 per bag is more than sufficient. Someone said they're well paid. True, but the tipping still is customary. Annoying, but customary.

Usually when you arrive at the port, as someone said the taxi driver will drop you off generally in the area where you ship is docked. Usually porters will find you. They watch for cabs, knowing that folks are getting out with luggage. Just make sure you have tags on the luggage indicating which cruise line and which ship, and tell the porter that grabs your luggage from you, and off you go.

Last time we cruised, when we arrived at the dock there was no porter to be seen, just a large cart with the same of the cruise line/ship on it. We deposited our luggage on the cart (no tipping! :) ) and went on our way. Sure enough it arrived at our stateroom around 2:30 that afternoon.

No, you really don't have to wait. Sure, there's a possibility your bags will be snatched...but I've not heard of that happening.

Please cite the source of your information.

Customer service at the port. There are numerous signs at the port saying no need to tip. One port in FLorida (I think Port Everglades) even forbids the porters to accept tips.

Customer service at the port. There are numerous signs at the port saying no need to tip. One port in FLorida (I think Port Everglades) even forbids the porters to accept tips.

Really. Since you mentioned it I actually think I saw one of these signs in Miami. Not completely sure however.

Any one know if cabs in Ft. Lauderdale follow a one price system like Miami?

Now I actually wish I lived near one if these ports (or in the US for that matter.) The cost of the air fare alone is easily the cost of the cruise it self!

Really. Since you mentioned it I actually think I saw one of these signs in Miami. Not completely sure however.

Now I actually wish I lived near one if these ports (or in the US for that matter.) The cost of the air fare alone is easily the cost of the cruise it self!

The Fort Lauderdale airport is 10 minutes away from the Pier so the taxi fare will be low.

Is this your second cruise with Royal Caribbean? If so, I hope you have joined their Crown and Anchor Society (their rewards program); check it out on their website.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Kathy:)

(P.S. At least from TO you can get direct flights to Florida.;)

Usually $1 -$2 per bag is more than sufficient. Someone said they're well paid. True, but the tipping still is customary. Annoying, but customary.

I am not really sure I'd say it is customary. People often do tip the porters, but it is almost always for one of the following two reasons:

1) They do not realize the porters are well salaried take your luggage and mistakenly think they are the equivalent of a skycap at the airport or bellhop at the hotel.

2) Although most of the porters are great, there are some uncouth ones who make passive-aggressive comments that if you do not tip them (or "make a donation" in ports where they are not allowed to accept tips) that something will happen to your luggage. These has led many people to "tip" the porter out of fear their luggage will be damaged or lost. This is not really a trip, but is paying a bribe. Fortunately the ports seem to be cracking down against this bad behavior and are encoruaging people to report porters who make comments like this.

Tipping $1 to $2 per bag is like tipping your dentist $1 to $2 per tooth. Sure they are providing a service, but just like your dentist they are paid a full salary that is not expected to be subsidized by tips. Unless a porter goes above and beyond what they are being paid to do (take your luggage from you) there is no need to tip.

Yes, Port of Mimai has several such signs saying tipping is optional. They are attached to the pillars. A poster on a related thread posted a picture of one such sign. In either Port Canevral or Port Everglades the porters are actually not allowed to accept tips - but a few rogue porters try to circumvent this by asking for "donations." The longshoremen in Florida earn approximatelt $40 to $60 an hour as their regular salary, and are often doing overtime (time and a half, so $60 to $90 per hour) when acting in the role of a porter.

Tipping $1 to $2 per bag is like tipping your dentist $1 to $2 per tooth. Sure they are providing a service, but just like your dentist they are paid a full salary that is not expected to be subsidized by tips. Unless a porter goes above and beyond what they are being paid to do (take your luggage from you) there is no need to tip.

I am in agreement with what you said...but I always wonder why we have to tip the hair cut person. Sorry off topic.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I actually did wait last time, however it was my first ever cruise, and was quite afraid someone might snatch it.

Don't worry about any1 snatching it.

They have enough security cameras to catch the purp.

Short of going into your room, no1 will be able to grab anything.

@tomko - that's is true. Daily flights to and from MIA and FLL on my prefered airline :). No, this is my 2nd cruise. I was on a NCL vessel before. Judging by the reviews and my obsession for cruising after the first go, rccl's awards program would be nice.

@gonzo - rouge porters? I hope I don't encounter one! $60/h? Exactly why does this sort of work pay so much? Baggage handlers at airports seems to be a tougher job, yet they get paid less, let alone tips! I would asume porters occupie most of the balcony suites :)

@ov8 - only if I knew that the first time. I sat in my room twidelling my thumb. Your sig of the freedom really sizes the ship up!

Thank you for any help

And please don't carry them off. I got off the Enchantment Monday and the hoards of people choking up the hallways and stairways before any numbers have been called is horrible, let alone those that have all their bags with them. Another thing.....why don't people look at the sheet of paper they give you the night before which states the order in which you are cleared off the ship??? One of those things that makes me think DUH!!!!:rolleyes:

Taxi for Port Everglades run on meters (not flat rate). Make sure they turn on the meter. Some taxis take credit cards. It is $15 to $20. I can't remember which way...but one is $2.00 more because the airport charges a $2.00 trip charge.

Why did you wait for 2 hours for your luggage to get to your room?? Most of us spend that time having lunch, having a drink, touring the ship, having a drink...:)

There really is no reason to wait. Simply pack a carry-on with anything you might need for the first several hours you're on board, and then do whatever you want on the ship...and sometime later that day...or early evening...your luggage will show up and you can unpack.

I've not cruised out of Florida so I can't answer your question specifically, but again..there isn't any reason to wait around in your room. (Did you find out if anyone else did? Probably not!)

Once you get dropped off at the port there are generally either signs, or people with nametags on with your ship's name on them (or at least the company name). You tell the porter -- who will meet your cab (or other transportation) -- which ship you're on (and presumably you have your luggage tags on your luggage with that information on it), and look for someone with your ships name on their nametag, and ask. There are usually plenty of signs all around pointing out the direction. And just go, and have fun!

Make sure you have your cruise documents, passport and other identification with you, though, and not in that checked luggage! :) Have a great cruise!

Something you didn't mention which I thought I should - while waiting for my bags I often have a drink - just a suggestion!:):D

Something you didn't mention which I thought I should - while waiting for my bags I often have a drink - just a suggestion!:):D

Oh, dear, I forgot the most important hint of all! While touring the ship and waiting for your luggage, be sure to try a drink or two. Puts you in the vacation spirit! :D :D

We always have our luggage locked with TSA locks or the plastic ties. If someone tried to open them they would have to take that extra second. Hopefully the camera's would see and we would also know.

Never put your luggage out for disembark without locks or ties that is the bigger temptation.

Never put your luggage out for disembark without locks or ties that is the bigger temptation.

That is debatable. IMHO locking a suitcase (kind with a zipper) is like locking an envelope you send in the mail. If a suitcase has a zipper, regardless if it is locked or not, all one has to do is stick a pen into the zipper to pry open the zipper. It is just as fast to open a suitcase with a zipper that is locked as one that is not locked. Furthermore, if a potential thief sees a lock on a suitcase - they might surmise there is something of value inside the luggage. I feel it is best to simply not put valuables in checked luggage; locking checked luggage (if it has a zipper) has no impact on theft deterrent aside from signaling to a thief there might be something of value inside.

And please don't carry them off. I got off the Enchantment Monday and the hoards of people choking up the hallways and stairways before any numbers have been called is horrible, let alone those that have all their bags with them. Another thing.....why don't people look at the sheet of paper they give you the night before which states the order in which you are cleared off the ship??? One of those things that makes me think DUH!!!!:rolleyes:

RCCL has express departure, you are the first to leave and carry off all your luggage, they were doing what they were supposed to do. Maybe you should read the sheet of paper you were given the night before.

Archived