Disappointed with upgrade

Kittycatwlv

Most of the people on this thread can read but don't comprehend. I did not ask for an upgrade, I asked for a downgrade to be on the same deck as my friends who would keep their lovely upgrade. I wouldn't dream to ask them to downgrade to my deck. RCL does give upgrades 21 days before sailing based on seniority, not random until they have upgraded all their top tier members, that's a real loyalty program.

My desire to be with friends required a downgrade which would mean Princess would make more money on my vacant ocean view cabin while i got what I paid for , an obstructed ocean view on deck 8. My friends got moved to the forward cabins on deck 8 which are unobstructed. I am quite pleased for them and when i told them they were not thrilled I would be on a different either. A simple request which caused so many people such angst. Most business' want to make their frequent customers happy especially when it saves them money as this request would. All this nonsense about entitlement is just that nonsense.

This is not about entitlement regarding upgrades.

I do believe Princess should reward their most cruised passengers with upgrades and go down the line in a consistent manner with their upgrades the way most business do to reward loyalty but that's not what my post was about, that's just what people want to read. How Princess handles their upgrades is separate topic.

I will come back and let you'all know how Princess handles my simple request, and for the person who asked, I have never taken a GTY I always book a balcony but the price was so good my friends said they'd try their cruise so I booked it for us.

Perhaps it is you who does not comprehend the following?

1) When you book a GTY cabin, you do not have any say as to that cabin's ultimate category or location, as long as it is AT LEAST the same category as you booked the GTY for.

2) Benefits for being an Elite passenger do not include preferential assignment of upgrades.

3) You did receive something for bringing new cruisers to Princess, you received a referral award, which is just what was promised.

4) Princess is under no obligation to move you -- either as an upgrade or a downgrade -- if it is inconvenient to them to do so. Yes, a good TA or an accommodating rep will sometimes be able to arrange this -- but it is in no way "guaranteed".

These, so far as I understand them, are the rules. Now maybe you can explain to me again why you think they do not apply to you?

Most of the people on this thread can read but don't comprehend. I did not ask for an upgrade, I asked for a downgrade to be on the same deck as my friends who would keep their lovely upgrade. I wouldn't dream to ask them to downgrade to my deck. RCL does give upgrades 21 days before sailing based on seniority, not random until they have upgraded all their top tier members, that's a real loyalty program.

I have also been reading this thread and decided to respond to your last post. You said RCL does give upgrades 21 days before sailing based on seniority. Now that is what stuck out at me. This is not RCL. You know I have been reading a lot lately about posters coming on and saying that RCL does this, and Celebrity does that. Well we are not RCL or Celebrity. This is Princess and each cruiseline has different rules. I know you understand guarantees but as soon as you put in RCL does this then I just had to make a comment.

Marilyn

Most of the people on this thread can read but don't comprehend. I did not ask for an upgrade, I asked for a downgrade to be on the same deck as my friends who would keep their lovely upgrade. I wouldn't dream to ask them to downgrade to my deck.

This is a bit confusing to me. It sounds like your friends were upgraded but you weren't. If Princess said that you could pay $410 pp to join your friends on their deck, which is what you've asked to do at no charge, then it DOES seem to me that you're asking for an upgrade. Yet you're saying that you asked Princess to downgrade YOU and somehow you'd end up on the same deck?

I suppose that there may be lower-grade cabins as well on their deck, and that's what you want? If so, I think that's reasonable to ask for but unreasonable to expect. Lower-cost cabins on a desirable deck must fill up pretty quickly, so perhaps there are only higher-grade cabins available on that deck (hence the extra $ per person to be moved there)?

This is a bit confusing to me. It sounds like your friends were upgraded but you weren't. If Princess said that you could pay $410 pp to join your friends on their deck, which is what you've asked to do at no charge, then it DOES seem to me that you're asking for an upgrade. Yet you're saying that you asked Princess to downgrade YOU and somehow you'd end up on the same deck?

I suppose that there may be lower-grade cabins as well on their deck, and that's what you want? If so, I think that's reasonable to ask for but unreasonable to expect. Lower-cost cabins on a desirable deck must fill up pretty quickly, so perhaps there are only higher-grade cabins available on that deck (hence the extra $ per person to be moved there)?

It sounds to me like they booked HH Guarantee (obstructed OV on deck 8), and they were all upgraded to unobstructed oceanview's, with the OP going down to deck 5, and the friends going to the front of deck 8. There are only 12 of those DD cabins on deck 8, so maybe there weren't enough for all 3 of them to go there. The OP didn't say what cabin on deck 5 they got assigned, but I'm willing to bet it was a P3xx cabin, which is an upgrade compared to what the friends got (based on category letters anyway), but I would rather a cabin on deck 5 that looks right onto the water, instead of a deck 8 cabin that has a lovely view of the promenade deck and railing in the way of the water.

I do believe Princess should reward their most cruised passengers with upgrades and go down the line in a consistent manner with their upgrades the way most business do to reward loyalty but that's not what my post was about, that's just what people want to read. How Princess handles their upgrades is separate topic.

Do tell, do tell, what business reward loyalty like cruise lines? I can think of my local grocery store with weekly coupons. In this case I think Princess reads this board and know for all the whining most of you aren't going anywhere. Some can't think Carnival Fun Ship without saying or thinking Walmart (shame on you, Carnival is fun:D), NCL doesn't dress the part, and the rest is afraid of the monstrosities RCCL is now calling ships (still visually breathtaking). Yes, there are other options but the value and product Princess delivers is how many got enough trips to be Elite. IMOP Princess might follow in the footstep on RCCL and strip the loyalty program. This sending a clear message, sail with us because you like our product, if not don't let the cabin hit you where the good Lord spl!t you. Stop acting as if you are doing Princess a favor by being loyal, you are loyal because Princess in the past has given you the best product for the buck. There was a time when perks/bribes were necessary but in today's market, at today's rate, be ready to get what you pay for. In this case you paid for a gty and got it.

Views- 4222 and counting, long way from 500 :-)

Most of the people on this thread can read but don't comprehend.

Responding as one of the "silent 500", I think this very statement speaks volumes about your perceived problem. Most of us agree to disagree with you and point out the reasons. You respond with an insult.

We were all upgraded but I was upgraded to a different deck and want to give up my lovely ocean view to go to an cheap obstructed view to be on the same deck with friends. I did not ask for an upgrade I requested a downgrade, they are forward in unobstructed cabins. There are about a dozen cabins left in the obstructed categories. I want the cheaper cabin and princess can resell the vacant upgraded cabin. Deck 8 on sapphire has obstructed view because of the lifeboats and the forward cabins are not obstructed where my friends are. I am happy for them to keep their cabins and don't think it's unreasonable to ask Princess if they will give me a CHEAPER cabin then what they gave me. I didn't ask for something unreasonable or more expensive and if I don't ask I can't receieve :D

Princess put me back into the GTY pool which was a good start and I will follow up with them in a week or so. Apparently they don't mind my giving up the upgraded cabin on deck 5 or they wouldn't have suggested I go back into the GTY category.

Something highly over looked on this board is that people have different opinions and that is an entitlement. Opinions are varied that's what makes for a good discusion but here it's an arguement.

My two friends were together on deck 8 and I am deck 5. Their cabins are worth $410 PP more then mine. I am hurt by the lack of loyalty on Princess' part. Why do they highly upgrade a newbie before an elite member. I will never bring them a new cruiser again. Thanks for letting me vent. Oh it's also way before final payment so I'm toying with the idea of cancelling altogether and booking with a rival cruise since loyalty is a one way street for Princess.

We were all upgraded but I was upgraded to a different deck and want to give up my lovely ocean view to go to an cheap obstructed view to be on the same deck with friends.

Say what:confused:

So, is this the same Kittycat that wants a cabin up front?

I would never book a cabin that's not close to the center of the ship and the elevators. You have to decide what you like better, location or a slightly bigger ..............

The above was excerpted from one of Kitty's posts.

Be careful what you wish for, because sometimes it comes back to bite you.

We were all upgraded but I was upgraded to a different deck and want to give up my lovely ocean view to go to an cheap obstructed view to be on the same deck with friends. I did not ask for an upgrade I requested a downgrade, they are forward in unobstructed cabins. There are about a dozen cabins left in the obstructed categories. I want the cheaper cabin and princess can resell the vacant upgraded cabin. Deck 8 on sapphire has obstructed view because of the lifeboats and the forward cabins are not obstructed where my friends are. I am happy for them to keep their cabins and don't think it's unreasonable to ask Princess if they will give me a CHEAPER cabin then what they gave me. I didn't ask for something unreasonable or more expensive and if I don't ask I can't receieve :D

Princess put me back into the GTY pool which was a good start and I will follow up with them in a week or so. Apparently they don't mind my giving up the upgraded cabin on deck 5 or they wouldn't have suggested I go back into the GTY category.

Something highly over looked on this board is that people have different opinions and that is an entitlement. Opinions are varied that's what makes for a good discusion but here it's an arguement.

Frankly, I don't think the details of what did/didn't happen are relevant/important. You booked a GTY, presumably knowing that you have no say in where you are assigned--nothing wrong with that. You didn't like your assignment--nothing wrong with that. You asked Princess for a change--nothing wrong with that. If Princess accomodates your request, great for you--you have nothing to complain about. If Princess doesn't accomodate your request, that was the risk you took with a guarantee--again no (valid) complaints.

Again, the details don't matter. Princess is giving you what you bought (a GTY cabin). Coming on here and complaining that Princess is not treating you fairly is not going to generate the agreement, understanding, or sympathy you seem to want/need.

I understood the $410 to be to move from your deck to your friends deck with the upgraded unobstructed view cabin. Did they quote you a price to take you out of GTY status and have you pick an obstructed view cabin on the same deck with friends. I would not expect to be able to pick a cabin after I specified GTY without some cost but perhaps it is not as much as the $410. Or did I read that wrong too ?

Am I missing something here? When I read OP's post, she states, "Yesterday I got notified of our cabins. My two friends were together on deck 8 and I am deck 5. Their cabins are worth $410 PP more then mine. I am hurt by the lack of loyalty on Princess' part. Why do they highly upgrade a newbie before an elite member. I will never bring them a new cruiser again."

It sure looks to me like sour grapes over newbies getting upgraded and that Princess did not respect loyalty by upgrading OP.

I'll see what happens before i make any decisions to cancel and book elsewhere. I'm Diamond plus on RCL and Elite on Celebrity and a middle tier on HAL so I have options. My disappointment is that Princess does not value an Elite member and not just that but an Elite member bringing them four new cruisers, it doesn't get better then that for any business in these economic times. I want loyalty to go both ways that's not to much to ask.

Excuse me?!? From where I sit your loyalty to Princess is not exactly what you make it out to be. You happen to be a person who is fortunate enough to cruise, A LOT. But by your own admission, your deep loyalty to Princess has resulted in your choosing them maybe only once in every four cruises. Let's not over play the loyalty card.

Am I missing something here? When I read OP's post, she states, "Yesterday I got notified of our cabins. My two friends were together on deck 8 and I am deck 5. Their cabins are worth $410 PP more then mine. I am hurt by the lack of loyalty on Princess' part. Why do they highly upgrade a newbie before an elite member. I will never bring them a new cruiser again."

It sure looks to me like sour grapes over newbies getting upgraded and that Princess did not respect loyalty by upgrading OP.

I would guess that this statement is part of the reason the OP did not get that 'warm and fuzzy' feeling with the responses. Although she later explained it was location, when you begin by sounding so jealous of your friends that you could explode, it doesn't set well with many. ;)

You may be asking for a "downgrade" from what Princess gave you, but the main point is when you book GTY you don't get to ask for anything at all. You get what you get. BTW, is that obstructed view downgrade cheaper than what you paid for your GTY? Probably not and that's why you're not getting it so easily.

You'll either have to change your booking and pay the difference from GTY to the obstructed view you're asking for or just bite the bullet and enjoy what they gave you.

Either way, good luck.

I am sick of reading about all this.....the OP should just go to another cruise line where she will be satified! If she stays with Princess, it will be my luck that I will have her as a dining partner, or worse yet...next door to my cabin. I want to enjoy my cruise, and not listen to complainers that are never satisfied! I am so thrilled to cruise....I don't want negative people to ruin it for me! So let's get this thread over with, and get back to positive threads that appreciate life!

By the way....I never wrote either, because I thought this was just a rediculous thread. I thought it would have been pulled a long time ago. Too bad...one bad apple can ruin the day!

Frankly, I don't think the details of what did/didn't happen are relevant/important. You booked a GTY, presumably knowing that you have no say in where you are assigned--nothing wrong with that. You didn't like your assignment--nothing wrong with that. You asked Princess for a change--nothing wrong with that. If Princess accomodates your request, great for you--you have nothing to complain about. If Princess doesn't accomodate your request, that was the risk you took with a guarantee--again no (valid) complaints.

Again, the details don't matter. Princess is giving you what you bought (a GTY cabin). Coming on here and complaining that Princess is not treating you fairly is not going to generate the agreement, understanding, or sympathy you seem to want/need.

Moderators, please shut this thread down. It's getting very tiresome. No one is agreeing with the OP and as far as I'm concerned, it's a lot of whining for nothing.

The OP specifically said that people who really can't afford to cruise are booking guarantees -- then why did he/she book a guarantee? This thread has got to stop. I have said my two cents worth.

Janette

Archived