Cruising to Bermuda - kids need passports?

CoolTripletMom

It's official. We are cruising to Bermuda next May from NJ on RCL Explorer of the Seas. Will have my 3 year old triplets en tow. Do they need a passport to cruise from NJ to Bermuda?

Also, if anyone has cruised to Bermuda with kids this young, recommend an excursion if there are any. Dolphin Encounters worth the money?

All children must have passports valid for the six months after the date they leave the US. This is on all cruise lines now. No exceptions.

Not quite. :) There is a loop hole ;)

If it is a closed loop cruise, meaning it begins and ends in the same US port, then no passports needed to cruise. Birth certificate (and if over 15 photo ID) are needed...not passports.

Now, with that being said, if something happens while you are away and you need to fly back home, then you need a passport.

Since when? that is not true. You can not re-enter the US without a passport. This is for all cruises because all cruises leave the uS and return to the US due to the Jones Act.

As of June 1, 2009 all Americans have to have a passport to travel open looped or closed loop sailings. This is a fact and for anyone out there- you do have to have a passport.

[quote=rebeccalouise;20470579

I think you should check with the cruise line because it really depends where you are going.

I apologize to Cruisinmama because she knows this stuff but I would check because in the fine print of all the websites it say that all Americans but then makes remarks for kids- ugh..

Since when? that is not true. You can not re-enter the US without a passport. This is for all cruises because all cruises leave the uS and return to the US due to the Jones Act.

As of June 1, 2009 all Americans have to have a passport to travel open looped or closed loop sailings. This is a fact and for anyone out there- you do have to have a passport.

Nope, sorry, I have traveled since June 1st on a cruise, people who live in the US still don't need a passport on closed loop cruises.

The entire discussion here at Cruise Critic....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=998726

The Homeland Security Web Site talking about Closed Loop Cruises...but with all things, consult your cruise line.

https://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1139&p_created=1238714641&p_sid=uIRYBvDj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=74&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9OSw5JnBfcHJvZHM9MCZwX2NhdHM9MjgzJnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9MS4yODMmcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1jcnVpc2Vz&p_li=&p_topview=1

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) Passport Requirements became effective June 1, 2009, for land and sea borders. While the WHTI requires a valid passport for land and sea travel, a final ruling was issued allowing leniency for “closed-loop” cruises, i.e., sailings that both originate and terminate in the same U.S. port.

Recent guidance received from the Department of Homeland Security indicates the documentary requirements under WHTI for “closed loop” cruises are not limited to cruises that travel only to contiguous territories or adjacent islands. This means U.S. citizens calling on ports in Honduras, Panama, Costa Rica and Belize will also be exempt from the passport requirement.

U.S. citizens taking “closed-loop” cruises are not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) as well as a government-issued photo ID. Children are also required to bring proof of citizenship, and if 16 and over, a photo ID is also required. Canadian and Bermudian citizens are required to have a passport for air, land and sea travel, including all Carnival cruises.

And if Cool Triplet Mom is going on Royal Caribbean to Bermuda as I am - then here is the wording from Royal Caribbean...

Effective June 1, 2009 only a valid passport (unless otherwise noted below) or other WHTI compliant document will be accepted for entry or re-entry into the United States. For a list of all approved documents visit: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html#compliant_document.

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Why wouldn't people want a passport? It's the very best form of I.D. and proof of citizenship that you could every have. I couldn't imagine being outside of the U.S. without a passport. Who knows what could possibly happen?

I agree, since we all have them here. HOWEVER, I can understand where a parent is coming from, especial one with "triplets". Some of my friends would love to cruise, but one of the first questions they ask is "HOW can I get passports for my family of 5 (6, 7, etc)

For a family of 5 - an extra $500 for passports may just blow the budget. Especially if this is a "once in a lifetime" thing. Which is sometimes the case.

So although I tell my friends that they should get passports, I don't lie to them and say it's an absolute necessity. :) The rules are pretty clear. They are recommended, not required for closed loops. :D

I am very clear that if, heaven forbid, something happened while they were out of the country that required flights back into the states, that they were on their own.

I am very clear that if, heaven forbid, something happened while they were out of the country that required flights back into the states, that they were on their own.

And for that reason alone, its worth the extra money for me to have the passports. No way would I want to be stuck in a foreign country and have to fight my way back home. If you cant afford the passports, then dont travel outside the country, period, imo.

As for shore excursion, no idea what to do in Bermuda. However I know in general how much dolphin encounters are and NO WAY would I pay THAT MUCH for a 3 yo, much less three 3 yo's.

That and the fact that almost all the dophin encounters I have seen have a minimum age of anywhere between 7-9 yo pretty much might exclude that as a choice anyways.

Cruisinmama is right about the requirements and I spent alot of time reading the fine print of the various cruise lines and the state department website.

The state department does indeed allow for close-looped cruisers to use a birth certificate and photo ID (for adults). Kids under 16 don't have to have a photo ID just the birth certicate...

However, I was interested to note Princess does not allow for anything other than a passport via their website and cruise brochures.

Celebrity also requires passports but does allow for an exception if you have made application for a passport (and can provide proof of this)and a birth certificate.

Other cruise lines are adhering to the state department guidelines.

Since the rules keep changing and there is a danger of not getting back into the US should an emergency happen- I would get passports.

That and the fact that almost all the dophin encounters I have seen have a minimum age of anywhere between 7-9 yo pretty much might exclude that as a choice anyways.

Actually most of the "encounters" start at Age 3. I was even able to do it with my youngest when she was 2. But would I pay the price for three of them plus parents, yeah no way. :eek:;)

Since the rules keep changing and there is a danger of not getting back into the US should an emergency happen- I would get passports.

Agreed. :D

Actually most of the "encounters" start at Age 3. I was even able to do it with my youngest when she was 2. But would I pay the price for three of them plus parents, yeah no way. :eek:;)

Agreed. :D

Really? Cause every ship one I have seen has been the higher age ranges. Maybe Im just looking at different encounters.

I did find a few on Carnival for example that will accept 4 and 5 yo with a parent but even some of those had height and/or ability to swim requirements.

Sure my kids have fed dolpins before but I guess I was looking at more of an upclose encounter/swim/training kind of thing.

What I always find interesting about these discussions is that people seem to think that while an adult needs a passport a child may not. In the case of the "closed loop cruise" neither an adult or child needs a passport. Can anyone list a situation where an adult needs a passport and the child does not?

Can anyone list a situation where an adult needs a passport and the child does not?

Yes, on a non-closed loop cruise. ;) Adults would be required to have a passport, children under 16 would not.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Please Note: Children under age 16 will be able to continue crossing land and sea borders using only a U.S. birth certificate (or other form of U.S. citizenship such as a naturalization certificate.). The original birth certificate or a copy may be used. See the Department of Homeland Security's Ready, Set.. Go! for more information on the changing travel requirements.

And I also thought the op was referring to RCCL's Bermuda Dolphin Encounter which does list the participants have to be 8yo and strong swimmers.

But maybe theres other private non ship ones.

Sorry. Yes, you are correct.

In Bermuda, the dolphin encounters require strong swimmers and higher age limits.

We did the encounters in the Bahamas - different encounter, the age limits are alot lower. And we did go through the cruiseline.

So, you are right, the OP would not be able to do this activities anyway with 3 year olds.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Cruisin Momma! I really didnt' want to have to get a Passport for the Triplets just yet.....we ar cruising from NJ to Bermuda, back to NJ. And I just felt like I was getting conflicting info from websites. I have their birth certificates but will check one more time with RCCL in the next month or so just to make sure!

Archived