Ventura Delayed

ROSEBASKETS

Shows what I know !!

Info under Webcam still says Cannes....but webcam view is different from earlier when I looked the ship was way off shore. Heyho bet some folks on board will not be happy.I wonder if they will overnight there?

I have stopped at Cannes many times during Summer cruises, never had any problems.

It will be interesting to get the full story

Late for Barcelona, not arriving in Corsica until mid morning today! Engine problems? Map upside down?, Capt had a few too many?

Just not P&O is it! Standards slipping? or just too many football shirts and tattoos for Cannes and the Capt. felt a little too embarrassed to stop;););)

Hmm! not good.

we are on Ventura on 31st and even having paid bargain prices for the cabins we were hoping to stop at the Scheduled Stops and have made arrangements in advance for some ports.

Oh well may be spending more time chilling on the balcony than I thought !!:D

LibraLass is spot on about the swells at Cannes. We were there in July last year and tendered into the port fine first thing in the morning but by the time we got back from our excursion the waves were very high and we had a rather exciting ride back to the ship during which we all got soaked despite the tender having a roof. Making the final step from tender to ship's platform was a matter of fine timing and not for the faint hearted. Had we not already been ashore I think the tendering would have been abandoned.

I suspect some of my fellow passengers that day will not set foot in a tender again!:eek:

Bit choppy then. One of the largest ships in the world gets diverted because its a bit choppy, surely the designers would have thought bigger ship, bigger lifeboats? Makes more sence having bigger boats for more passengers. I would assume (maybe wronly) that the tender boats are designed for rough seas and that some sort of docking station would have been appropriate like on the Seabourn Legend for example?

Bit choppy then. One of the largest ships in the world gets diverted because its a bit choppy, surely the designers would have thought bigger ship, bigger lifeboats? Makes more sence having bigger boats for more passengers. I would assume (maybe wronly) that the tender boats are designed for rough seas and that some sort of docking station would have been appropriate like on the Seabourn Legend for example?

I think you may be a bit of a wind-up merchant as all you seem to do is try and mock Ventura. I know you have cruises with Ocean Village and Thompson mostly because some of your posts on that forum are about P & O . What are you trying to achieve by all this ?:rolleyes:

Even with bigger tenders and a docking station I don't think many would have wanted to tender to shore with the waves as high as we experienced. This was on a hot, clear summers day too. Given the same conditions I can well believe this may be why the ship diverted.

We experienced choppy seas at Cannes a couple of years ago and, despite being on a large local tender (at least 3 times the size of a lifeboat) we had to circle the ship for over 30 minutes. The conditions were so variable they had to set up a docking station on the other side of the ship to double their chances of getting a slightly more sheltered boarding point as quickly as possible. Our departure was delayed for over an hour while they were struggling to get the remaining pasengers back on board.

I think you may be a bit of a wind-up merchant as all you seem to do is try and mock Ventura. I know you have cruises with Ocean Village and Thompson mostly because some of your posts on that forum are about P & O . What are you trying to achieve by all this ?:rolleyes:

Wind up merchant, maybe?, trying to engage the forum in lively debate with a sense of humour and irony definately!

I love dear old P&O and make most of my points with my tongue firmly in my cheek. It's definately the best forum to "engage" with, maybe it's the diversity of the passengers and the variety of the customers. I can only comment on Ventura as it's the only ship i'm familiar with as i'm a recent convert having travelled on Royal Carribean, OV and Thomson on my previous cruises.

I love cruising, it doesn't matter who I cruise with because I make the best of it no matter whom I travel with. I'm as happy with football shirt wearing, tattooed Scots as I am travelling with Lord MacSnooty of Chelsea.

The Americans don't get it, the Italians can't understand it, and the Germans can't put a towel on it, irony that is.

The point I am making about Ventura as most seem to get is that it can be all things to all people. The ship is not the issue, it's the passengers and if you cruise for a fortnight or more you can get a different atmosphere and different "group" no matter what.

Balf - No he's dead! sometime in the 19th century I believe, his house is still there though, eigth row up middle building with the flag flying on the top :D

Have just read on the P&O Forum a post from some-one who is onboard the Ventura.

Apparently they experienced technical problems yesterday so were late arriving in Barcelona.

Departure was then delayed till 9pm and Corsica swapped for Cannes to 'save time'

No problems with the weather.

I have heard that they will be stopping for the full day in Gibraltar rather than the 1/2 day, which will please most of the passengers I'm sure, they'll be able to visit "the rock" in the morning and pick up their Pimms and Dubonnet at duty free prices in the afternoon. Good old P&O. Maybe they will also reshedule Cannes, hopefully it won't be too choppy, otherwise they might have to drop anchor in an OV port like St Raphael or St Tropez and mix with the plebicites! :D

A Full Day in Gib.

UNLUCKY!!

Half a day there is too long. Nearly every cruise from Southampton seems to stop there and having 'done ' the cable car etc once there's not much more to it. Shopping used to be good but as I read form another Forum its a bit like Southall High Street these days !!

Odd - she's obviously in Cannes or Villefranche this morning. Her next scheduled calls are Rome, Naples, a sea day, Alicante, & Gibraltar.

I'm puzzled by the zig-zag back to south of France; that puts her further away from her Italian ports of call. We shall see over the next few days.

Does anyone know what the 'technical problem' was?

A Full Day in Gib.

UNLUCKY!!

Half a day there is too long. Nearly every cruise from Southampton seems to stop there and having 'done ' the cable car etc once there's not much more to it. Shopping used to be good but as I read form another Forum its a bit like Southall High Street these days !!

We had a great full day in Gib. IF you haven't done the Rock, seen the Apes, been in St Michaels Caves and toured the war tunnels, did all this starting with the cable car ride up the rock in a morning, The mini bus which took us on this pando tour then dropped us in the square in town where we had a good pub lunch and a few drinks in the sun, then strolled the duty free shops and went back to the ship.

If you have done all the above before, the weather at this time of year should be pretty good there, so I would sunbathe around the pool after perhaps a walk around. There is a new shopping centre in town now .

Ah yes, wouldn't dare swap or miss that stop, there would be mutiny, not to mention the thousands in lost revenue on shore excursions (or am I wrong?)

Those on the Princess cruise from Southampton last week have just had to miss Rome!!

Archived