What to do in Ensenada? No excursions...

ejeffo

So we are going to be doing an excursion in Cabo, but not in Ensenada. I did a Google earth once-over and it looks like it is quite a walk to get to anything in Ensenada. We don't want to venture too far from the ship.

What is there to do near the ship? Can anyone recommend a good restaurant, bar, shopping area, etc? Also, what are the areas to avoid? Especially with the Cartel crap going on down there right now.

The downtown area, full of bars, restaurants and shops, is maybe a 15-20 minute walk from where the ships dock. DH and I walked it when we were on the Paradise last October.

Be sure to get a map from the Visitors Information Booth, they will map it out for you too. The walk looks far from the ship, but it is not. If you take the "shuttle" downtown, the shuttle people will do everything they can to sell you a tour once you are on the bus, but not point out the street you really need to go down for the restaurants and shopping. We were disoriented yesterday after the drop off point, and just turned around and walked back to the ship because we were overwhelmed with very young children selling and begging. We were not on the street we needed to be, our mistake...

Cheryl

I checked TripAdvisor for a day spa -- have been searching around here for an hour to see if anyone here on CC posted about that type of "excursion." Some cruisers in Mazatlan got 3 hours for $90. I can totally do that!

~gigi

Hey, Gigi!! Just noticed you were on, and thought I'd say, "Hi." Never been to Ensenada...sorry. We are now Diamond plus!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!:D:D

Howdy! Diamond PLUS?! You lucky girl!!! I think that I have found a place for massage -- just had to get creative with my trip advisor searching. Found http://www.ensenada.com/spa/index.html and I'm going to do it! We leave Monday :)

~gigi

Have fun!!!!! John and I did Navigator b2b for spring break, Monarch for Easter, Liberty 7 nts,Enchantment 5 and 4 nts(all three June 6-June 22), and then Enchantment 5 and 4 nts b2b July 11-20. I guess we'll stay home for a little while and save some vacation days for next year.

(just read on some other post that you work for JetBlue.......you do know about interline discounts, right???? John is with FedEx)

Have fun!!!!! John and I did Navigator b2b for spring break, Monarch for Easter, Liberty 7 nts,Enchantment 5 and 4 nts(all three June 6-June 22), and then Enchantment 5 and 4 nts b2b July 11-20. I guess we'll stay home for a little while and save some vacation days for next year.

(just read on some other post that you work for JetBlue.......you do know about interline discounts, right???? John is with FedEx)

Wow, what a cruising year you've had! I agree it's time to take a break from all the VACATIONS! LOL! I remember John was with FedEx -- I applied for JetBlue the week after we got home from Liberty (7/07) and have been there almost two years now. It's been great :)

Got interline rates for the Mariner and Elation, but am not so sure it's not better to ask for them directly through the cruise line vs. using an interline agency. The one I used for Mariner gave me GOBS of push back when I wanted to switch from a 4-person JS to a balcony/other. It was quite ridiculous. They kept saying I agreed to the terms, which said they wouldn't honor a price drop, and I kept saying I wasn't asking for a price drop. Finally got my way, but I wasn't impressed. Maybe it was the agency.

Anyhoo, looking forward to trying Carnival! I went on Carnival in 1988, 4 months pregnant. And very sea sick. Lesson learned!

~gigi

I work for FedEx what kind of discounts? I asked about interline but my TA said that i couldn't use it with this sailing:confused:.

I work for FedEx what kind of discounts? I asked about interline but my TA said that i couldn't use it with this sailing:confused:.

There are interline-specific TA's out there... and there are interline rates on every ship, but it's based on availability (like award seats on an airline). If you find an interline rate for your sailing (google it!), question your TA about it. Next time you can call the cruise line directly and let them know what interline price you found and book straight through the cruise line.

Your TA could very well be correct, that there are no interline rates for your sailing OR maybe your category. Case in point: I wanted a balcony and an inside, had them on hold and let them go. Called the next day and... no more interline balconies. Booked a JS instead. A week later... balconies available again! (Downgrading from JS to two balconies was a test of patience, but I ended up getting my wish.)

Good luck!

~gigi

we have always enjoyed Ensenada. Just stick to the beaten path...there are a lot of shops and bars within easy walking distance. We did Mango Mango and Papas and Beer last time and had a blast. Its not really shopping like some of the bigger ports but there is a lot of neat stuff to be had and at great values

what is an interline discount?

thank you.

One option for Encenada is the ship's winery tour. It is one of the most reasonably priced shore excursions available from the cruise lines. After the tour, they will drop you off in town, a short walk or shuttle ride back to the ship. I really enjoyed this tour last year.

We took the shuttle into town and were able to easily ignore the kids selling things right outside the bus. We also went ahead and went on the La Buforadora tour they were selling and had a fabulous time. We ate near La Bufadora and bought a few things (really cheap!) at the market. You just have to expect a little pushiness...they are very good natured though and we had no trouble saying ''no''.

After the tour, we asked to be dropped off downtown for more shopping (we wanted some tequila ;) ) but they would have dropped us off at the ship too.

It was pretty fun.

we have always enjoyed Ensenada. Just stick to the beaten path...there are a lot of shops and bars within easy walking distance. We did Mango Mango and Papas and Beer last time and had a blast. Its not really shopping like some of the bigger ports but there is a lot of neat stuff to be had and at great values

Hello..Question about Mango Mango???

We are taking an ATV ride in Ensenada and then plan to go eat lunch at Mango Mango. Would it be ok too take our almost 12 year old daugther there early in the day for lunch??

I have read they have great salsa, chips and Guacomole? We are just wanting something light before heading back too the ship?

Just wanted to pipe in about our recent Elation visit to Ensenada.

We had a nice time! I was pleasantly surprised! We were warned by the ship's shopping gal that the shuttle drivers have taken to taking a little "tour" vs. driving straight to the town and then asking to be paid. The walk to town took all of 10 minutes, so no biggie.

Stopped at a pharmacy and purchased some prescription meds at awesome prices. One of my friends is a pharmacist and she viewed all the items before we paid to make sure we were getting quality product. She said most of their drugs are made by the same manufacturers as the ones in the U.S. I got a tube of TriLuma (prescription bleaching cream) that's $85 here and not covered by insurance, for $25.

Had a delightful 1.5 hour massage plus 30-min foot massage at "Massage and Facial Care", right on the main shopping street.

Had lunch around the corner -- the best broiled shrimp I've ever had, bar none, at Mariscos Bahia.

There were five couples on this trip -- the boys went golfing all day while we got massages and shopped.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi gigi,

Where did your guys go golfing? DH and I are going to Ensenada in October and considered playing at Bahamar. We are a little skittish, because it is a 30-45 min taxi ride up the coast, and we didn't know if that would be safe ~

I vote for a massage, quacamole and margaritas in town!

Mary

Archived