food allergies

anniecat

How does Az handle food allergies...such as someone with an onion/garlic allergy? It's easy for me with my oyster and wild mushroom allergy as those items are usually listed as part of the menu. But what about those sneaky ones? Do the wait staff know enough to help choose menu items? Can the kitchen provide some idea of what is actually IN the menu items? What is your experience?

I hope you get an answer from someone on Azamara since I have similar issues and we just booked a cruise with them. Before booking (onboard a Celebrity ship) I was told they do it the same as Celebrity and Royal Caribbean but to try and get same waiter etc. every night so staff has knowledge of your allergies since they have open seating. You or TA should fax over your special diet letter about 6 weeks before you cruise to special needs office. I always make extra copies of my letter and than on board - when 1st arrive I meet with the head of the dining services and they usually bring out the cook. All of my meals are made to order. I was told same policy would be true on Azamara. Since you have ingredient allergies after the 1st night you will be given a menu to order for the next day so they can have your food ready for you. You will be given a contact person to get your meals - who will have your order information. Give some extra time for lunch because they need to make your food separately even if you are at the buffet. They generally don't want you eating the food at the buffet unless you know it doesn't have the foods in it you are allergic too - like ice cream!! I hope this helped. :D

Hi Anniecat & Tupper10 !

For starters, I recommend you contact Azamara's Special Services Department at 1-800-882-8292, or you can email them at: specialneeds@celebrity.com . Once onboard, I suggest speaking with the Restaurant Manager as soon as possible. I am sure they will do everything possible to work within your dietary requirements.

I hope this answers your questions. Enjoy your Cruise !

My husband has a nut allergy and we have had no problems on Azamara. As well as talking to specials services, get a hold of the Maitre D when you board, he will brief his team. Each night when you go to a restaurant, whichever one you are going to, you remind the assistant maitre d of your situation (actually after a couple of days as Azamara is so small they will remember you) - the AMD will then take you to your table and brief the waiter. It does also help if you can plan a night ahead where you will be eating next night as the AMD will bring you the menus for that night and you will go over it with them and pre order if need be

As regards lunch time, the buffet is more of a challenge and you will not find the servers familiar with what is on offer. However on days the dining room is open you can go there and we have also found room service great (more on that in a minute). Also we can usually identify the products to stay away from so for example as the pasta/stir fry is prepared before your eyes you can watch what they are putting in

The other person I would get a hold of is the Assistant housekeeper as they can then brief your butler/stateroom attendant so you have no issues with room service or if you order it afternoon tea or canapes. When we call down for room service we always remind them but again they seem to know

Whilst it takes a couple of hours to set up when you get on board - and please do not rely on Special Services shore side to have sorted this out ahead - once you have it setup it is easier than staying in a hotel.

A

Our travel agent sent Azamara a list of my food allergies and I was never contacted by anyone on board to discuss any potential problems. Luckily, there is a buffet for breakfast and lunch and also one of the choices for dinner.

By contrast, the list of allergies given to Grand Circle prompted the maitre d' to contact me and discuss menues, and some times I spoke with the chef about my dinner. As with Azamara, buffet breakfast and lunch were never a problem

Cruise easy

Whilst you can speak to Special Services before you cruise they CANNOT handle it completely and they best way to deal with it on a day to day basis is with the Food and Beverage Manager and/or Hotel Director and we have very first hadn experience on Azamara as to how well this works

Cruise easy

Whilst you can speak to Special Services before you cruise they CANNOT handle it completely and they best way to deal with it on a day to day basis is with the Food and Beverage Manager and/or Hotel Director and we have very first hadn experience on Azamara as to how well this works

We have had this dicussion before and I agree with you in terms of dealing with it on board. However, I do not agree with you in terms of Special Services not being able to handle it completely. Actually, I was not saying the poster should contact them. I have never spoken to them before in regards to my wishes.

I only speak from experience and the advice from special services themselves as regards an inclusive food intolerance ie gluten nuts onions it cannot be effectively be handled pre trip but has to be dealt with through the relevant managers on board

if however you require special items to be loaded on then yes it issomething special services handle

I hope that clarified the situation for everyone

I prefer to keep my dealings with the Food and Beverage division of Celebrity rather than special servies. They are more suited to my needs and wants. I have never dealt with special services for any cruise line and since I usually get what I need or want I am not planning to deviate from my plan that works.

Azamara handles special diets differently than Celebrity. In the dining rooms all meals are specially prepared per order. I did low sodium without a hitch. The assistant maitre'd also was very helpful. Even tho' I had all the information with my reservation, it was not necessary to do it in advance.

For specific food allergies it might be helpful to have a small card listing what needs to be avoided to give to the waiter.

Have been on three Azamara cruises and the food concerns were handled without any problems.

Archived