Record Warmth Possible Next Week

Mia

On our cruise July 4th - 18th it was 85 degrees in Skagway:eek: and high 70's in Juneau and Ketchikan with sunny skies the first week, a little cooler the second week. We spent most of the week on our balcony. I would definately at least take short sleeve shirts (which I had to buy extras). The locals will tell you they need rain since it is the norm. But the sunny, warm weather made for a wonderous vacation for us!:)

There are also advisories with reference to the rivers being high due to the high temps. I wonder if that will effect any of the excursions or the drive in Skagway?

I was looking to escape the heat next week. But at least it seems like there won't be much rain.

Forgot the sunscreen - wish you could see my lower arms from last week up there! (The Timex was always in the same location on my left wrist!!) Spent more time with my jacket tied around my fanny than on my arms. Wore long (but light weight) pants, but short sleeve t-shirts.

If you are traveling next week, Weather.com has issued a weather statement stating there is a chance of record warmth. You might want to pack some shorts!

I am leaving on Friday and am already packed with all the usual Alaska stuff.....turtlenecks, sweaters, vest, gloves, hoodie, warm-up pants etc. SHOOT ME NOW!

M.

We just got back on Monday. Temperatures were beautiful...we had sun every single day. I wish I had brought an extra pair of capris. Mostly, I had lightweight pants and t shirts. Never used my polar fleece. Watch the weather forecast but be sure to have something warm just in case. You can always buy a cheap jacket or polar fleece in the ports if necessary - they are everywhere!

I just checked weather.com and couldn't find where it said there would be record temps next week....but did see high of 22 C (74ish F.) and sunny for Ketchikan on Sunday. That's when we'll be there!

Better go pack more shorts!

M.

P.S. If anyone hears any more about next week's outlook (like maybe someone who lives up there), sure would appreciate a post.

Thx.

If any of you are taking Yukon excursions out of Skagway, expect temperatures into at least the mid 80s at Carcross next week. I was hiking in cold fog and snow on the Chilkoot Trail yesterday, so bring it on!!! :D

I'll just throw this out there, but the Alaska warmth may be at least partly man-made, and not due to global warming!

http://www.haarp.alaska.edu/

The theory is that the Fed's HAARP project in Alaska may be pushing up the ionosphere, altering the jet stream. Regardless, I don't think it's that big a stretch to think that if you pump 7 Megawatts of radio waves at the ionosphere above Alaska, that's going to alter the weather a little. 7 Megawatts is enough to power two towns.

I see the weather next week in the 70ish. I live in Seattle and lately we have heatwave 80ish. Really nice. I'm packing now to leave on July 26. For 70ish, I can use capri and T shirt with light weight jacket.

My question is "How cold it is in Glacier Bay and Mendenhall when the overall is 70ish?"

I want to take out some heavy clothes to make things easier but I'm afraid I will feel regreted.

Thanks

P.S. How can I control myself to focus on things other than the upcoming cruise? :confused:

Archived