Epheseus, Turkey Questions

bunrattyqueen

I hope someone who has already been to Epheseus can answer these questions.

Is it true that the entrance fee is in Turkish Lira only? If so, where did you change funds?

Did you use a taxi? My husband cannot walk too far so we do not want a tour that he could not catch up with. Let me know how you handled this, and what you consider a decent price.

While I'm thinking about Turkey, did you have to pay for the Visa individually or did the cruise ship take care of the cost?

Thanks,

Bunratty queen

Is it true that the entrance fee is in Turkish Lira only? If so, where did you change funds?

Did you use a taxi? My husband cannot walk too far so we do not want a tour that he could not catch up with. Let me know how you handled this, and what you consider a decent price.

While I'm thinking about Turkey, did you have to pay for the Visa individually or did the cruise ship take care of the cost?

Thanks,

Bunratty queen

You only need a Visa if your cruise starts or ends in Turkey. If it is just a port during the cruise the cruise line takes care of the paperwork for all of its passengers.

We took an all day shore excursion, which included a very good lunch, through the cruise line so we didn't have to worry about currency.

Be sure to take an excursion in Ephesus that includes the Terrace Houses. They are amazing.

The tour we went on was excruciatingly slow and the woman had a horrible voice that grated on my nerves.

We broke away from the pack and met up with them at the Terrace Houses (because she had our tickets). Then we went on our own and met up at the bus.

From what I have read the taxis are pretty expensive to Ephesus and it is about a 30 minute ride. At least the tour bus was more comfortable than a taxi.

Do the tour and tell your guide that you are going to go at your own pace. Ask her for your ticket to the Terrace Houses and also find out what time to meet up with the bus.

This really worked well for us. It was 100 degrees and standing in the hot sun listening to this woman drown on was really painful!

DO NOT MISS THE TERRACE HOUSES. If your husband can't walk for long periods of time- you will walk down hill to the Terrace House (they are about midway through the grounds) and then walk downhill to the buses- so it really isn't too difficult to walk through. The terrace houses and the library were the most interesting sites there IMO

Ephesus is quite a drive from the port of Kusadasi. I don't think a taxi would be cost effective. The Turkish currency is the Euro. Walking in Ephesus can be tiring with uneven terrain and large steps in some locations. It is also a large area. A private small group tour might afford the opportunity to go at your own pace. You could check your Roll Call to find out if anyone has organized a small tour and/or go to the Ports of Call board to find information on private tour companies and details of touring Ephesus. You can access the Ports of Call Board by going to the "jump threads" drop-down menu at the bottom of this page. Under Ports of Call, find Europe and then Mediterranean Eastern and Western.

Ephesus will be a highlight of your cruise. Enjoy!

Thanks,

Bunratty queen

I have just returned from the July 6th sailing on the Solstice. My party of 6 hired Ertunga Ecir for a private tour of the Virgin Mary's house, Ephesus, and the Temple of Artemis. It was 35 dollars a person which did not include the entrance fees. The official currency in Turkey is not the Euro, it is the Turkish Lira although the restaurants and shops in Kusadasi all took Lira, Euros and dollars. Ertunga paid the entrance fees and we paid him the equivalent in dollars (he also took Euros). He had a large air conditioned mini bus with a private driver and was very flexible with the schedule. It was HOT at Ephesus and he tried really hard to take advantage of the shaded areas to give us a break and tell us about the site. I would highly recommend him. His website is http://www.ertungaecir.com. Also, no visa required for Turkey, the cruise line handled it.

I didn't go to Turkey on a cruise so I can't comment on the taxi question but I totally agree that Ephesus will be a highlight - it is truly an amazing site. The entrance fees can be paid in Lira or the Euro as I recall - we paid our guide in US dollars. The site is not what I would call 'accessible' friendly - it is on a hill and very cobbly, and there are quite a few steps up or down to various places; this is not meant to discourage you but to make sure you plan to take it slow and are prepared. If its hot when you are there, that will also add to the experience because there is no shade as such. However, there are some fun places to sit down - make sure you check out the group toilet (seriously! - they had slaves to sit on the marble to warm it up before the citizens used them) and check out the signs pointing the way to the brothel! At the bottom of the site is the ampitheatre - you can spend a very pleasant hour resting there, looking out to sea and imagining lions and christians. we hired our own guide at the site, and had our own guidebooks and memories of Classics 101 as we walked around. I don't think a big group tour would be at all fun, especially not if your pace is not quick. amazing.

What is your husband's walking problems? Walking at Ephesus is NOT an easy one. I walk with a cane or use a scooter, and while beautiful, it's a very difficult walk for someone with physical limitations. The surface is very uneven, very slippery and a tough, long walk. The tour lets you off at the top of the site and then you walk the entire area to the pick up site. If your husband has problems walking, you may want to bring a wheelchair. But even then, because the surface is so terribly rough and uneven, a wheelchair is difficult to maneuver.

When we went to Ephesus I was having a lot of trouble walking myself and took the ship tour. The bad thing is that it is very rocky but the good thing is that there are many big rocks to sit and rest on, especially across the path from the library. The tour stopped at a small museum on the way back which was very interesting with a small coutyard to rest in while othere go upstairs. Hope your trip is wonderful.

you are right that the surfaces are uneven and it is not wheelchair friendly or scooter friendly.

No one that can't walk up a two story flight of stairs should go to the terrace houses- there are lots of stairs.

However- apart from the heat (which the terrace houses were shaded and comfortable) it was not a huge place. If you keep to the path you can be done in an two hours- even with a visit to the terrace houses.

When we were in Turkey a few years ago, we used Kagan Kosagan as a guide.

One of his associates took us around Istanbul, and he was in Kusadasi with us.

We were there for a full day. My wife walks slowly, and another in our party of 6 was even slower. It wasn't super hot--November.

Kagan took us around so as to miss the cruise buses. We first went to the museum, then up the hill to Mary's house. When we got back to Ephesus, we were the only party in sight. When we were about 1/2 way through, a busload of Japanese tourists whizzed by us, snapping pictures like crazy.

It was a great day, and I would certainly recommend Kagan.

We had the privilege of taking a private tour with Levent Solmaz when we were in Kusadasi and Ephesus at the end of May (2009)and I am so glad that we had the opportunity. Levent is a wonderful guide, highly knowledgable, very personable, very entertaining, very considerate, and his English is excellent. He is also very experienced, particularly with cruise passengers, and was extremely reliable. He provided everything he promised, and picked us up and dropped us back at the ship in a very timely way. He and his driver picked us up in an air-conditioned van, complete with a very welcome cooler of ice cold water. The driver provided us with the closest possible access to the sights, and he was always waiting to pick us up when we were finished at each stop..

I have some difficulty with a bad hip and also have chronic back problems. I'm reasonably good when walking on the flat, but I use a cane for stairs. (My collapsible cane was my best friend on this trip). Levent was so considerate about making sure that the pace was manageable for me, and there were lots of places where I could sit down and have a brief rest. (I had a light sun umbrella with me, and that turned out to be a godsend).

With respect to Ephesus, I most heartily agree that, if at all possible, the Terrace Houses should NOT be missed. There are 88 steps in all, but the steps are modern and solid, with good handrails and excellent treads. The climb is punctuated by many stops, i.e. you go up half a flight of stairs (or at most one flight), then you reach a platform where you stop and look around at the amazing architecture, and start again when it is comfortable to do so. Levent had us arrive at Ephesus as early as possible, so there weren't any large tours in front of us. When we were at the Terrace Houses, I was able to go at a relaxed pace, as most of the people didn't buy the extra tickets required for the Terrace Houses (the cost is so minor--15 Turkish Lira, I think. We were told by the ticket-taker in the Terrace Houses that less than 20% of the people who come to Ephesus buy the tickets to see the Terrace Houses. What a lost opportunity!) After reaching the top of the houses, there is a long flight of steps back down, but again, I used my cane and took it at my own speed. It was no problem. Just be aware that some of the steps are a little higher than we are used to.

Taken from Levent's own description, this is what our tour for Kusadasi/Ephesus included:

(a) the most spectacular ancient ruins on the Aegean coast of Turkey; Ephesus (including the TERRACE HOUSES in Ephesus). The sight is almost intact, and includes the Odeon, the Hadrian Temple, the Scolastica Bath, Trajan's Fountain,etc and of course the magnificent Celceus Library, which is also almost intact. We also get to see the largest amphitheatre of Turkey, that accommodates almost 25,000 people!!! There is a lot to see in Ephesus!!!

(b) then we were driven up to the beautiful Nightingale mountain to see Mary's Shrine, where the Mother of Christ spent her last years nearby Ephesus with James, the brother of Jesus. (This has been accepted by the Roman Catholic Church). This house and the grounds are run by an order of holy sisters, and has become a pilgrimage place not only for Christians but also for the Turks!! It is a very charming and peaceful place.

© We had our (optional) lunch of authentic (delicious) Turkish food in the town of Selcuk, at a local family-run restaurant. We were supposed to visit the museum of Ephesus in the same town, but we were so facinated with Ephesus that we spent almost 4 hours there. As well, we took our time with the wonderful lunch. The museum houses very rare artifacts from Ephesus; among them is the most famous statue of the Greek goddess Artemis, called "multi-breasted Artemis" by the Turks. The Romans call her Diana. Athough we were a little sad to miss the museum on this trip, we know that we will return to Ephesus one day, so we will see the museum then. :)

(d) We also got to see the ruins of the Temple of Artemis which used to be one of the Seven Wonders of the World. (This temple is situated outside of Ephesus).

(e) the tour was also scheduled to include the beautiful Isa Bey Mosque built in the 13th century - one of the finest Ottoman mosques built around Ephesus vicinity, but we will have to add that to our next trip as well. We drove past it, but did not see the interior of the mosque.

(f) we also attended a demonstration at a carpet weaving school near Kusadasi. I loved the demonstration. Carpet weaving is being supported by the Turkish government as a cottage industry, employing young women, many of whom are at home with young children, who are thereby able to contribute to the family income without leaving their homes. We got to see silkworms and their cocoons, and to see how the thread is spun, and how the carpets are woven...The people were very kind and I loved the whole experience. We were very pleased to buy a carpet at a very good price, and every day when we see it, we are reminded of our wonderful day in Kusadasi.

The cost of our tour was based on four people with the following services:

1) Air-conditioned mini van with a driver

2) Levent's services throughout the day

3) Entrance fees to the sights and museums mentioned above, including Terrace Houses of Ephesus

4) Pick up and drop off at Kusadasi harbor

5) Parking fees at the sights and museums

The cost did not included lunch, however, the cost of our lunch was minimal, and the offerings were generous, delicious, and authentic.

Levent can guide up to 12 people, and the per/person cost will come down according to the number of participants. The price was VERY reasonable.

I know this is probably WAY MORE detail than you were looking for, but we had SUCH a WONDERFUL day. We just hope that everyone who cruises to Kusadasi gets a chance to experience something magical that all four of us will never, ever forget.

Absolutely make sure you bring an umbrella to Ephesus as the heat and sun are horrible.

I was so glad that I had purchased one of those Chinese parasols on the grounds of the Colisseum when in Rome. It came in handy, time and again, and was well worth the 5 dollars I paid. Next time I will bring a small collapsible one from home.

In Ephesus in late May, the heat was not too bad, as there was always a bit of a breeze, but the sun was relentless, and without the sun umbrella, I would have been burned to a crisp, full-on sunblock notwithstanding. :o

Hi Elena,

Thanks for the information on Levent and Ephesus.

We will be with him in Kusadasi as well as two days in Istanbul.

He was recommended on our roll call by someone who used him two years ago, and thought his tour was great.

Glad you had such a memorable day.

Mari

We had a wonderful private guide in Ephesus. Nahide at Ekol travel. The cost was $65 per person (for 2 or 3 people) and that included transportation, entrance fee and Nahide's services herself. It was well worth the money.

One correction for a poster above--the official Turkish currency is the Turkish Lira. It ios not the Euro. ALthough Euros and dollars were widely accepted near the port.

ALso the drive from port to Ephesus is about 20-30 minutes--not too long.

If you use a private guide you will be able to tailor the speed at which you walk. It was 2 dollars more per person thatn the group excursion on the ship.

Right at the port there is a new Euro style shopping center with stores like Lonchamps, Diesel. Swatch, rug dealers, some Turkish equivalents of GAP and Banana Republic, Starbucks, etc http://www.scalanuova.com/eng/

Then when you go outside the gates and cross the main road, you will find rugs dealers, jewlery dealers (both real and "genuine fakes") and the Main Bazaar which is the second largest in Turkey after Istanbul. Lots of junk but definitely some great shops scattered in as well.

Hi Elena,

Thanks for the information on Levent and Ephesus.

We will be with him in Kusadasi as well as two days in Istanbul.

He was recommended on our roll call by someone who used him two years ago, and thought his tour was great.

Glad you had such a memorable day.

Mari

Hi Mari:

You will have a WONDERFUL time with Levent. When we left, I felt that we were saying goodbye to a friend.

Please say hello to him from Eileen and Gerry in Vancouver.

Archived