Nice family friendly beach and resort in PV

MnAsMom

We were all set to go to the Krystal thinking it would be easy but I read on a few reviews that the beach was not that nice, rather rocky. I know my children will want to be on the beach some and I would love the option of some pool time as well. What is the best option for a nice swimmable beach at a decent resort?

I've heard mention of Dreams for 6 hours. Is their beach nice?

Then the Marival?

I asked about the Grand Mayan and thanks so much for the pics and review Sofi (if you read this) but you mentioned you just looked around and had a drink (didn't swim). Do you think they would welcome a family to come and play in their pool/beach area for the day or no?

Any other resorts that welcome cruise passengers that is worth checking into?

My SIL mentioned just going down to the Malecon and that there were restaurants on the beach that we could have lunch and let the kids swim there.... is the beach nice around there or the same as the Krystal?

I've also read some reviews about some jellyfish or fire coral that was causing stings/welts on people who swam in the ocean in PV... is that a regular thing? Or maybe just in certain areas... anyone know?

thanks everyone for any advise you have to offer!

The Beach at Dreams (Playa Esteca) is one of the nicest beaches on the bay, BUT Dreams is ALL Inclusive, so if you plan on going there, you need to buy a Day Pass. This includes all food, drink and non-motorized water sports and other activities for both kids and adults. Gorgeous area as well!

Jellyfish: They are drifters and no one can predict when/when/how many there will be, anywhere at any time. They are more uncommon than not.

If it really concerns you, buy a product online called Safe Sea. Excellent stuff!

The Malecon does not have a swimming beach. Well, you can swim there but it is very rocky and there is an undertow because of the sharp drop off in that area. I do not know of any restaurants with a pool in that area that you can use.

The beach at the Krystal is actually typical to most beaches in the immediate area. It is not bad.... but also remember beaches are always changing, depending on time of year, waves, tides, storms, etc. One day can be rocky, the next day, not....

Have a great time and I hope I helped:)

I have stayed at both Marival and Dreams and IMHO Dreams blows Marival out of the water. Food, service, drink were much nicer at Dreams. Beach was smaller but water was much clearer and nicer.

Pools were larger at Marival, they seem to have more water toys such as Kayaks, endless boogie boards, catermerans and the beach was longer for walking on, Marival had bikes that you could take off property (but besides a small mall at Paridise Village Nuevo has nothing but other resorts). That said, it has been almost 2 years since I have been there and reports have been that Marival is not as great as it used to be. I don't know.

But if you are just going for one day *I* would suggest Dreams

Thanks so much... I think Dreams is winning here.

I have stayed at both Dreams and Marival and for my money, Dreams wins hands down, even before all the bad reviews started up about Marival.

I would go spend some time in the morning exploring PV, hit the Malecon, go to the church, shop at the flea market(that said, I got the best prices EVER on the beach at Dreams for the double weighted blankets I am addicted to. ask for James.......) just before lunch when you are hot and sweaty on the southside catch a cab to Dreams for around 50 pesos ($5 USD last time we were there, the cabs use the 10/1 ratio, way cheaper to use pesos) .

After you spend a wonderful afternoon there, eating (food was incredible), drinking and swimming catch a cab back to the ship which should cost about 120 pesos or 15 USD.

We went to the Paradise Village Resort and it was great. We had our 8 and 10 yr old granddaughters with us and they really enjoyed it. Beautiful resort. Great pool with a giant waterslide. Drinks and food not out of line. It was on the beach and have thatched huts you could sit under and lots of other activities. Would really reccoment it. Cost was $75 for 2 seniors and 2 children. It cost $10 taxi fee to get there from dock. We tried to get in to the Grand Mayan palace but they don't give out day passes.

• 2 weeks later...
We went to the Paradise Village Resort and it was great. We had our 8 and 10 yr old granddaughters with us and they really enjoyed it. Beautiful resort. Great pool with a giant waterslide. Drinks and food not out of line. It was on the beach and have thatched huts you could sit under and lots of other activities. Would really reccoment it. Cost was $75 for 2 seniors and 2 children. It cost $10 taxi fee to get there from dock. We tried to get in to the Grand Mayan palace but they don't give out day passes.

Did you get the day passes in advance or just walk-in and ask at the hotel lobby?

Just got back from Mariner Cruise and in PV we took a taxi to the Westin. Beautiful resort with very nice restaurants and pool bar. We spent most of the day there then headed to the Melacon for some shopping before heading back to ship. Taxis were about $10 to Westin and $16 from Melacon to ship.

Just got back from Mariner Cruise and in PV we took a taxi to the Westin. Beautiful resort with very nice restaurants and pool bar. We spent most of the day there then headed to the Melacon for some shopping before heading back to ship. Taxis were about $10 to Westin and $16 from Melacon to ship.

Hi,

We stayed at the Westin Regina about 4 years ago. We'll be going on the Mariner at the end of August. We, too, are looking for a family friendly resort to go spend a few hours.

My husband and I can't recall if we saw 'cruise people' around the pools. Did anyone stop you from entering the resort? I ask because we wanted to visit the Dreams Resort (used to be the Camino Real, and have stayed there quite a few times in the past). But, when we got to the resort we were told we could not come in to visit because it was for guests only.

Thanks for your help,

:-) Bobbi in So Cal

• 3 weeks later...

When you spent the day at Westin Resort, did you just walk in or did you purchase (somehow) online a Day Pass? If you purchased beforehand, how did you do this...online....can you post where you did this? How much did it cost?

Was food/drinks included in the Day Pass? Did you have to pay for a beach lounge chair.

Please more info on your day at the Westin would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...
I e-mailed Dreams and they quoted me $45 per adult and all kids 1/2 this price. So for our family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids) it would be $135. They said no advance reservations were required.

We just got back from a 8 night stay at Dreams Villamagna in Nuevo and WOW the pools and beach are so nice.....

That is a good price for a family of four....we stayed 8 nights at Nuevo and then the rest of time in PV at Playa Los Arcos....loved them both but after breakfast, lunch, drinks, dinner, drinks in town eating cheap (but still really good food) it starts adding up.

Trying to remember but one day at PLA I got a capp and latte (70 pesos) and these amazing baked goods (60 pesos) from a french bakery around the corner from Epico restaurant Breakfast was 150 pesos for two of us

Lunch was a whole roasted chicken(OMG YUM), salsa and roasted chillis with tortillas for 79 pesos....this was at a chicken to go place up by Rizzos in the suthside on Agun Serdin (I think) added two bottles of Fresca and lunch was 100 pesos for two.

Bottles of water and more Fresca (it is so differant but so much better in Mexico) then had two poolside margs for 70 pesos (happy hour 12-3) Dh had two Sols from the Oxxo (16 pesos beer really is cheaper then water here) so say maybe 137 pesos for drinks and water poolside.

This was eating and drinking cheap for us and we spent about 400 pesos and if we had only day with kids I would spend the extra money and go to Dreams either one :)

Archived