What in your opinion, is the best thing to do in Belize?

rene194215

After 10 cruises, we have not yet "stayed on the ship" but might do it someday. However, one of the reasons we cruise is to explore new places. On our first trip we did cave tubing and the second time we did Carnival's Altun Ha and River Wallace excursion. Highly recommend both. Our third trip to Belize is next month and we plan on a beach/snorkel day.

Thanks- I am looking into either the Altun Ha excursion or some sort of snorkel day!! The first trip into Belize I had not troubles there, the locals were fine. Had a great time there just do not want to cave tube again.

That's it! Only a few hopped in the river to swim as there wasn't THAT much time. We didn't wear life jackets on the river tour though..

That description makes it sound more exhausting than it is, gosh, had I read that description, I probably would have passed! "Base camp" and the like sounds so intimidating!

I know that is probably the tour you were talking about, but I see no mention of the river cruise part. Do you think they did away with that part???

We were in Belize last week and thanks to this thread we went on the Land Rover, Jungle, River, and Cave tour through Royal Caribbean but I think all the cruise lines offer the same tour. It was one of the best excursions we have done in 11 cruises. We had a blast. I was pleasantly surprised that for each segment of the tour there were different guides, all of whom were very knowledgeable. The bathrooms were very clean. It is a very well managed tour.

Once we tendered to the port, we got on the boat which couldn’t go directly up the river because the tide was too high for the boat to go under a bridge. It was a thrilling (and very wet) ride in the ocean to the river. The river was beautiful – unlike anything we have ever seen before. The Land Rover tour was fun and very bumpy in places. My husband drove through the jungle and I am glad I wasn’t driving. There was a very short hike across a swinging bridge and down a well groomed trail to a cave. The cave was small but it was fun to go to a cave that isn’t set up for large crowds. At one point, you do have to crawl on your hands and feet but you can also skip this part. After the cave we had a delicious lunch and then returned to the pier via the open air bus – it is like a very large convertible.

I asked one of the guides if they took quests from the resorts and he said that they only take cruise ship passengers. It was my understanding that you have to book through the cruiseline. I just googled Belize Land Rover tour and the site said you had to book with the cruise ship.

Until this cruise it had been a several cruises ago since we booked a tour through the ship but sometimes the tours through the ship match up best with what we want to do.

We did this tour on an RCI ship in February. Someone mentioned the rainy season - I'm not sure when that was, but one of the Landrovers ahead of us got stuck in the mud and we had to pull it out....it just added to the adventure. My husband and I are in our 50s/60s, and thought this was one of the best excursions we ever participated in. Most everyone was younger than we.

We self-divided up to each Landrover - and there was a "change of driver" at the halfway point. My husband had wanted to drive, but when the change time came - he passed on it. Each part of this excursion was a lot of fun, and also you should be aware that you don't always do this is the same order described - sometimes it is in reverse.

Great fun for everyone. Go for it! My husband thought it was scary good!

Cathy

• 2 weeks later...
We did this tour on an RCI ship in February. Someone mentioned the rainy season - I'm not sure when that was, but one of the Landrovers ahead of us got stuck in the mud and we had to pull it out....it just added to the adventure. My husband and I are in our 50s/60s, and thought this was one of the best excursions we ever participated in. Most everyone was younger than we.

We self-divided up to each Landrover - and there was a "change of driver" at the halfway point. My husband had wanted to drive, but when the change time came - he passed on it. Each part of this excursion was a lot of fun, and also you should be aware that you don't always do this is the same order described - sometimes it is in reverse.

Great fun for everyone. Go for it! My husband thought it was scary good!

Cathy

This looks like a lot of fun, I'm thinking my 17,22 and 50 year old husband would perfer something more along these lines than just tubing :D. I gather the caving part of this adventure is not in water?

• 5 weeks later...

Archived