What in your opinion, is the best thing to do in Belize?

rene194215

I am looking for ideas for my up coming cruise that is stopping in Belize. The last time I was there we did the cave tubing excursion that was outstanding!! What else is fun to do? What is your favorite thing to go here?

Thanks! Renee

We just got back from our cruise (our first). We stopped in Belize where we did zip lining and cave tubing. It was amazing! By the far the best thing we did on this trip. We booked through Cynthia and Nacho's company (NCQ Adventures). Awesome! There were only three of us on this tour, very personal service.

Since you have already experienced the cavetubing, that leaves snorkeling and ruins. The snorkeling on the reef is some of the best that we have done. Bannister Island is pretty nice for a beach day and there are some unique ruins available from this port.

I am looking for ideas for my up coming cruise that is stopping in Belize. The last time I was there we did the cave tubing excursion that was outstanding!! What else is fun to do? What is your favorite thing to go here?

Thanks! Renee

I was there in April and we did Carnival's Landrover and Cave exploration excursion.. and WHAT A BLAST it was! The day was broken into several segments so we really felt we did as much as we could have with the little time we had at port.

It started off with a Jungle bus ride through the city where we passed the kids walking to school and also got to see the condition of the city in general. The ride was long enough (and open air!) that we felt we got to see the area. We hit a rain shower but were protected by the canvas covers on the bus.

After a drive through some low lying jungle, we got to a staging area where we got our headlamps and then walked through the caves. There were only a couple bats, but unfortunately I didn't see any of them. At one point, we all turned off our headlamps and it was pitch black. very fun!

Back to the staging area, we were assigned to, and drove the Landrovers through the puddles, splashed, and back onto the country highway. I have video of us on the trails and also took pictures of some of the houses we passed. (very poor.)

Then came lunch. We had chicken, rice & beans, cole slaw, and a fried banana. It was very good. :) We also loaded up on Rum punch and a few swam in the river.

To return to the port area, we took a river boat and cruised up the river. It was maybe a 45 minute ride full of lush greenery and iquanas in trees! The rum punch flowed freely on the boat too.

PLEASE NOTE: Use the bathroom right before you get on the boat to return.. me and a few other ladies were about to die holding it in until we got back to the port area to where the restrooms were!! 45 minutes isn't that long to hold it, but when you are full of punch and around that much water.. egads!!

Bang for buck, you can't beat the day. We had an absolute blast! The tour can also run in reverse if the group is too big. (They will split in half and some will start the day with the boat ride and then do land rovers, cave etc.)

I can post pictures if anyone would like to see!

Jena I would love to see pictures!!

Thanks!!

This might take a few posts... please let me know if the pictures don't show up!

Jungle bus: (Check out the size of that bamboo!!!)

3233_757450555900_4908205_47812584_621054_n.jpg

About to enter the caves:

3233_757450610790_4908205_47812591_3335065_n.jpg

3233_757450640730_4908205_47812595_4160696_n.jpg

And then on to the land rovers!

3233_757450720570_4908205_47812604_531501_n.jpg

Jason holding on at the back of our land rover!

3233_757450735540_4908205_47812607_2001373_n.jpg

3233_757450820370_4908205_47812621_322163_n.jpg

Jena I would love to see pictures!!

Thanks!!

This little guy is native to the area, and is a relative of the fox:

3233_757450865280_4908205_47812629_2668558_n.jpg

You can see the boat we took the 45 minute ride in:

3233_757450900210_4908205_47812633_3073698_n.jpg

I think this is River Wallace?

3233_757450895220_4908205_47812632_3908120_n.jpg

I don't see that landrover tour as an option on my upcoming cruise. Did they do away with it?

I didn't remember seeing it prior to the cruise. We only noticed it at the excursion desk on board. They had special fliers for it too.

There's aYoutube of it.

and a website with information and tour numbers for booking it through the cruise line.

http://belize-excursions.com/

Looks like a lot of fun and not as wet as cave tubing or as long as mayan ruin tours.

Thank you for sharing the video! We didn't see any gators, but I passed it on to my family to give them a better idea of what all we got to see/do. :)

Here's my videos from that day:

Cruising down the river:

Landrover ride:

Thank you for sharing the video! We didn't see any gators, but I passed it on to my family to give them a better idea of what all we got to see/do. :)

Here's my videos from that day:

Cruising down the river:

Landrover ride:

jena, how much was the tour?

jena, how much was the tour?

Honestly, I can't remember. I want to say it was in the $105 range... and worth every penny! (Jungle bus, Land Rovers, Lunch, River boat ride, and Cave "equipment', plus a guide the whole time.)

As they say a good bit there... "You have to see it to Belize it." :D

Honestly, I can't remember. I want to say it was in the $105 range... and worth every penny! (Jungle bus, Land Rovers, Lunch, River boat ride, and Cave "equipment', plus a guide the whole time.)

As they say a good bit there... "You have to see it to Belize it." :D

...AND unlimited Rum punch after the land rover portion. :)

...AND unlimited Rum punch after the land rover portion. :)

Ok, I just called Carnival about it. It is $99.00pp for age 8 and up. Children younger than 8 cannot go. It is a seasonal private tour company, and Carnival has not received the schedule yet for my September cruise. To me it sounds worth the extra money. I think I much prefer doing this rather than the tube floating.

Better start saving. :)

Ok, I just called Carnival about it. It is $99.00pp for age 8 and up. Children younger than 8 cannot go. It is a seasonal private tour company, and Carnival has not received the schedule yet for my September cruise. To me it sounds worth the extra money. I think I much prefer doing this rather than the tube floating.

Better start saving. :)

They told us that depending on the time of the year and if it is the rainy season, that the mud can get VERY deep for the landrover portion! They pointed the mud levels out on the trees. They said they still run tours when it's deep like that, crazy!

I heard from others that went tubing that the water isn't the warmest!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question, and hope someone can answer it. Did they change this landrover tour? On Carnival's website it states the following for this tour (it looks like they took off the river boat part??):

You’ll feel like Indiana Jones as you traverse through raw jungle trails in a rugged 4x4 Land Rover and trek through ancient Mayan caves.

On this excursion you will:

• Take a 45-minute ride to the “Landing”, the base camp for your expedition.
  • Participate in a short orientation before your expedition begins.
  • Set out in convoy formation and head along the highway.
  • Experience the Jungle’s natural beauty as you make your way from the Tourism Village into the heart of the rainforest.
  • Ride over some of the most challenging terrain imaginable in the jungle around Gracie Rock.
  • Arrive at base camp where local guides will lead you in small groups over a foot suspension bridge.
  • Reach the first cave that tunnels through the mountain and emerge into a hidden cirque.
  • Be outfitted with a safety helmet and headlamp before your guides lead you through the caves.
  • Be entertained with various stories along the way.
  • Return to the camp and swim in the river or simply relax as you enjoy some light refreshments.
  • Take an open-air 4x4 jungle truck back to the Tourism Village in Belize City.

Note: This excursion may operate in reverse to facilitate departure times and is not recommended for pregnant women or guests with back problems.

Minimum age for participation is 8 years. Guests wishing to drive the Land Rovers must be at least 21 years of age and show a valid driver’s license.

All vehicles are manual transmission.

Life jackets must be worn for the river portion of the tour. Sunscreen, sunglasses, a hat and insect repellant are recommended.

I have a question, and hope someone can answer it. Did they change this landrover tour? On Carnival's website it states the following for this tour (it looks like they took off the river boat part??):

You’ll feel like Indiana Jones as you traverse through raw jungle trails in a rugged 4x4 Land Rover and trek through ancient Mayan caves.

On this excursion you will:

• Take a 45-minute ride to the “Landing”, the base camp for your expedition.
  • Participate in a short orientation before your expedition begins.
  • Set out in convoy formation and head along the highway.
  • Experience the Jungle’s natural beauty as you make your way from the Tourism Village into the heart of the rainforest.
  • Ride over some of the most challenging terrain imaginable in the jungle around Gracie Rock.
  • Arrive at base camp where local guides will lead you in small groups over a foot suspension bridge.
  • Reach the first cave that tunnels through the mountain and emerge into a hidden cirque.
  • Be outfitted with a safety helmet and headlamp before your guides lead you through the caves.
  • Be entertained with various stories along the way.
  • Return to the camp and swim in the river or simply relax as you enjoy some light refreshments.
  • Take an open-air 4x4 jungle truck back to the Tourism Village in Belize City.

Note: This excursion may operate in reverse to facilitate departure times and is not recommended for pregnant women or guests with back problems.

Minimum age for participation is 8 years. Guests wishing to drive the Land Rovers must be at least 21 years of age and show a valid driver’s license.

All vehicles are manual transmission.

Life jackets must be worn for the river portion of the tour. Sunscreen, sunglasses, a hat and insect repellant are recommended.

That's it! Only a few hopped in the river to swim as there wasn't THAT much time. We didn't wear life jackets on the river tour though..

That description makes it sound more exhausting than it is, gosh, had I read that description, I probably would have passed! "Base camp" and the like sounds so intimidating!

After 10 cruises, we have not yet "stayed on the ship" but might do it someday. However, one of the reasons we cruise is to explore new places. On our first trip we did cave tubing and the second time we did Carnival's Altun Ha and River Wallace excursion. Highly recommend both. Our third trip to Belize is next month and we plan on a beach/snorkel day.

Archived