Need help planning excursions

AlanAllyn

We have recently booked an Alaskan cruise on the HAL with the following itinerary:

Monday, June 14, 2010 Seattle, Washington -- 04:00 PM

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 At Sea

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 Ketchikan, Alaska 07:00 AM 05:00 PM

Thursday, June 17, 2010 Tracy Arm, Alaska, Cruising Only 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Friday, June 18, 2010 Skagway, Alaska 07:00 AM 06:00 PM

Saturday, June 19, 2010 Sitka, Alaska 08:00 AM 03:00 PM

Sunday, June 20, 2010 At Sea

Monday, June 21, 2010 Anchorage, Alaska 07:00 AM 11:00 PM

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 Homer, Alaska 10:00 AM 06:00 PM

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 Kodiak, Alaska 07:00 AM 01:00 PM

Thursday, June 24, 2010 Hubbard Glacier Cruising Only 12:00 PM 04:00 PM

Friday, June 25, 2010 Juneau, Alaska 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Saturday, June 26, 2010 At Sea

Sunday, June 27, 2010 Victoria Canada 02:00 PM 08:00 PM

Monday, June 28, 2010 Seattle, Washington 07:00 AM --

On our first trip to Alaska, we were in Glacier Bay. Although I got to fly over the glaciers from Haines and cruise Misty Fjords, my dw was incapacitated and never left the ship.

I am trying to plan excursions for this and keep within a budget of around $1000 for the two of us. This leads to some questions?

Would we be missing the point by taking the van trip to Emerald lake for $60 rather than the train one way or both?

Is Juneau the best place for a whale watching trip? I’ve seen many recommendations, particularly Harv and Marv?

What can we do for the most bang for the buck from Anchorage? Note that we dock in Anchorage, not Seward or Whittier, for 16 hours. Flightseeing (There goes a lot of the budget)? PWS cruise out of Whittier?

What to do in Homer or Kodiak? Most ships don’t go there.

Butchard Gardens in Victoria?

I thought we would do things in town in Ketchikan and Sitka.

I know that I could easily spend twice my budget and not run out of things to see. I would appreciate any help you experts could give me .

Alan

Absolutely Butchart Gardens. Consider Salmon Fishing in Ketchikan. We caught many fish and had them sent home frozen and smoked. We took Dalin tours and recommend them about $150 per person, but worth it to us.

We have recently booked an Alaskan cruise on the HAL with the following itinerary:

Monday, June 14, 2010 Seattle, Washington -- 04:00 PM

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 At Sea

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 Ketchikan, Alaska 07:00 AM 05:00 PM lumberjeack show and creek street, crab lunch somewhere

Thursday, June 17, 2010 Tracy Arm, Alaska, Cruising Only 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Friday, June 18, 2010 Skagway, Alaska 07:00 AM 06:00 PM white pass etc fish lunch near ship

Saturday, June 19, 2010 Sitka, Alaska 08:00 AM 03:00 PM

Sunday, June 20, 2010 At Sea

Monday, June 21, 2010 Anchorage, Alaska 07:00 AM 11:00 PM rent a car and drive to seward for a boat ride or to see exit glacier etc. i tihnk about 3 hours each way. could jsur drive to girdwood

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 Homer, Alaska 10:00 AM 06:00 PM

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 Kodiak, Alaska 07:00 AM 01:00 PM

Thursday, June 24, 2010 Hubbard Glacier Cruising Only 12:00 PM 04:00 PM

Friday, June 25, 2010 Juneau, Alaska 08:00 AM 05:00 PM whales, mendanhall glacier

Saturday, June 26, 2010 At Sea

Sunday, June 27, 2010 Victoria Canada 02:00 PM 08:00 PM gardens

Monday, June 28, 2010 Seattle, Washington 07:00 AM --

On our first trip to Alaska, we were in Glacier Bay. Although I got to fly over the glaciers from Haines and cruise Misty Fjords, my dw was incapacitated and never left the ship.

I am trying to plan excursions for this and keep within a budget of around $1000 for the two of us. This leads to some questions? touygh questions-flights are expensive

Would we be missing the point by taking the van trip to Emerald lake for $60 rather than the train one way or both? i loved the train but bus one way

Is Juneau the best place for a whale watching trip? I’ve seen many recommendations, particularly Harv and Marv? have not whale watch but on thsi trip that would be my first choice

What can we do for the most bang for the buck from Anchorage? Note that we dock in Anchorage, not Seward or Whittier, for 16 hours. Flightseeing (There goes a lot of the budget)? PWS cruise out of Whittier?

What to do in Homer or Kodiak? Most ships don’t go there.

Butchard Gardens in Victoria? YES!!

I thought we would do things in town in Ketchikan and Sitka.

I know that I could easily spend twice my budget and not run out of things to see. I would appreciate any help you experts could give me .

Alan

welcome

The excursions I like might bore you, and the ones you like might kill me! It is very individual.

Here are some things we liked:

Monday, June 14, 2010 Seattle, Washington -- 04:00 PM Pikes Place Market Walking tour

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 Ketchikan, Alaska 07:00 AM 05:00 PM Ketchikan Ducks, Saxman Native Village, Totem Bight Park, Totem Heritage Center (walkable)

Friday, June 18, 2010 Skagway, Alaska 07:00 AM 06:00 PM Rent a car and drive to Yukon

Saturday, June 19, 2010 Sitka, Alaska 08:00 AM 03:00 PM SEA OTTER SEARCH!!

Thursday, June 24, 2010 Hubbard Glacier Cruising Only 12:00 PM 04:00 PM Have your picture taken in the hot tub in front of the glacier

Friday, June 25, 2010 Juneau, Alaska 08:00 AM 05:00 PM Whale watch, gold mine

Sunday, June 27, 2010 Victoria Canada 02:00 PM 08:00 PM Butchart Gardens, Wine and Chocolate tour

Check out our reviews and pics at

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/alaskaZ.html

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/sapphire2.html

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/volendam.html

http://www.bully4.us/paccoast.html

for a lot of other possibilities.

We've done the whale watch with ORCA in Juneau, and it was enjoyable, but we really like doing one in Victoria better. This is because we really wanted to see orcas. We actually did see orcas in Juneau too, but were given to understand that this is uncommon.

I'm a big believer in renting a car in Skagway for the drive to Emerald Lake. I even suggested this to a co-worker before her cruise last year, and she said it was the highlight of their trip. She actually thanked me again just last week for suggesting it!

I'd also look into getting an Alaska Toursaver book. If it has the tours you want to do in it, it can cut the price in half as its full of 2 for 1 coupons on the excursions.

This would be my recommendation as well. For your trip, it would be absolutely worth it. We used the coupon in Ketchikan for the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour and saved a ton of $$. Also there's a coupon in the book for AK Whale Watching in Junea. But with all the other places you'll be going to, this book will definitely save you a lot.

Go to their site and take a look at all the coupons. Then if you think you can work with this, make sure to buy it up early in May so that you have the coupons. You can also book your excursions using the coupons BEFORE you get the book. Just tell them you're getting it and then you'll need to bring the book with you when you go to each excursion so they can rip that page out. Don't take any pages out yourself beforehand.

Are you an avid fisherman? Renting a charter boat would be an awesome thing to do in Homer. Halibut fishing! I just saw someone the other day (in ketchikan) catch a 144 lb. halibut! The fish are pretty massive in Homer too. The charters will process and ship fish to your home.

If you are coming to SE Alaska, you must see the Misty Fjords. Alaska Sea Plane Tours is who I recommend. Ryan is a good pilot and great guy.

OR...if you want to see bears, take a tour to Herring Cove. If the tide is out, there is a good chance you'll see them. A cheap way to do that is to take a cab. Cab companies in town do tours for about $80.

www.ketchikanblog.com is a good place for additional Ketchikan information

Allison

~Ketchikan resident

Archived