Europe in October 2010

Hello all,

Hope everyone is enjoying their summer. I was thinking of taking the following cruise in October. I have not been to the med at this time of year. What is the weather typically, will we be able to go to the beach? Will we need jackets, I am sure the nights will be cool I was just wondering about the days. I thought the rainy season started in November, As I was there in December. Any other thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks

DAY DATE PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Wed Oct 6 Barcelona, Spain 6:00pm

Thu Oct 7 Toulon, France 8:00am 6:00pm

Fri Oct 8 Florence / Pisa (Livorno), Italy 7:00am 7:00pm

Sat Oct 9 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 7:00am 7:00pm

Sun Oct 10 Naples / Capri (Sorrento), Italy 7:00am 7:00pm

Mon Oct 11 At Sea

Tue Oct 12 Venice, Italy 1:30pm

Wed Oct 13 Venice, Italy 2:00pm

Thu Oct 14 Dubrovnik, Croatia 9:00am 6:00pm

Fri Oct 15 Corfu, Greece 7:00am 7:00pm

Sat Oct 16 At Sea

Sun Oct 17 At Sea

Mon Oct 18 Barcelona, Spain 6:00am

It's a very nice itinerary but unless you are very lucky with the weather and we are having an Indian summer over here in Europe = I dont think you will be ble to do the beach (well not to sunbathe and swim - stroll along it yes). For example in venice average Oct temperature range from 11-19C, Barcelona slightly better at 15-21C and the rest of the ports having similar weather. The good part is that scholl holidays will be over and the cities will not be nearly as busy for getting around and doing things. You may need a light jacket during the day but could probably get away with just having a cardigan or sweater for first thing in the morning when it can be a bit cooler. You could be fine by mid day and early afternoon for strolling about in a t shirt.

• 5 months later...

If you are still thinking of doing the cruise that you have mooted above, then I can tell you that we were in Toulon in November and it was still lovely. We started off with jackets but by 10am, the sun was shining and we were quite warm in shirt sleeves.

We did a wonderful tour from Toulon with a private guide that took us to Cassis, beautiful fishing village where we went out on a boat for an hour cruising through Les Calanques. After lunch, we did a wine tour before heading to the pretty hilltop village of le Castellet.

It is a beautiful area to visit and we saw so much of the Provence countryside. We had already visited Aix en Provence so we wanted something different and that is what we got plus sunny, warm day.

Jennie

• 4 weeks later...

Bonjour,

I was on a cruise of the Western Med departing Barcelona and cruising around Italy and south of France (some similar ports to your itin.) in early Oct 2009 (similar time as you) and we had beautiful and perfect weather. It was sunny and warm but not hot and no rain. Some mornings were a bit cool but by mid am we took off our jackets and put them in our knap sacks. I found wearing capri pants or skirts with layered tops (ie short sleeve shirt covered by a long sleeve shirt and topped with a light sweater or jacket) so that we could take off layers as the weather got warmer.

A few years ago, I did a land vacation of Spain (Barcelona, Mardrid and Valencia) end of Oct and early Nov and again we had perfect weather. It was about 24 degree celcius and sunny everyday, again, warm but not hot.

On both trips, I did not get beach or sunbathing weather but perfect touring weather!

Hello all, Hope everyone is enjoying their summer. I was thinking of taking the following cruise in October. I have not been to the med at this time of year. What is the weather typically, will we be able to go to the beach? Will we need jackets, I am sure the nights will be cool I was just wondering about the days. I thought the rainy season started in November, As I was there in December. Any other thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Agree with the other posters that for this period, the weather can be great for "walking around", but a little marginal for the beach stuff. You can get more exact weather data for each port on that specific date you will visit there by going to this useful website:

http://www.wunderground.com

Barcelona and Venice are two of my favorite cities. Both are so charming with so much character, great architecture, etc. You'll have a tough choice for Naples. Skip that city, but do you go to Capri, Sorrento, Pompeii and/or the Amalfi Coast/Positanio? Tough choices!!! So much to do and so little time.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived