cell phones in Alaska

Markanddonna

If you cell phone says ROGERS, you are going to pay very high Canadian rates, most especially if you have an IPhone. This warning has been on Cruise Critic for a long time.

It's a matter of perspective. If my phone says "ROGERS" I'm fine, it's when it says "AT&T" that I have to be careful.

It's a matter of perspective. If my phone says "ROGERS" I'm fine, it's when it says "AT&T" that I have to be careful.

When you are in Texas you can use my iPhone all you want and I'll use yours in BC.

But the rates US people are charged for Rogers service is why I am going to buy a Canadian cell phone and just use it in Canada. I'm there often enough to make it worth doing.

When you are in Texas you can use my iPhone all you want and I'll use yours in BC.

But the rates US people are charged for Rogers service is why I am going to buy a Canadian cell phone and just use it in Canada. I'm there often enough to make it worth doing.

You realize all you need to do is swap out the SIM card. There's a little hole next to the headphone jack, push in a paperclip in there and the sim card pops out. Then just put in a basic Rogers or Fido SIM card when you're in Canada

You realize all you need to do is swap out the SIM card. There's a little hole next to the headphone jack, push in a paperclip in there and the sim card pops out. Then just put in a basic Rogers or Fido SIM card when you're in Canada

Thanks, I've thought about that but really want to have a Canadian telephone number. I am severely dependent on my cell phone.

Thanks, I've thought about that but really want to have a Canadian telephone number. I am severely dependent on my cell phone.

You will have a Canadian phone number if you swap the SIM Card out; that's the whole point. The SIM Card provides the 'identity' (ie phone number) to the phone.

how can we make sure we are not using the tower on the ship when making a cell phone call? I heard it is very expensive.

Just don't use it when you are onboard the ship. If you are right in front of the gangway, you may also want to avoid using it. (I've had no problem using my cell phone in a cruise terminal.) But otherwise, if you are not close to the ship, you will not be using the cell phone tower.

That being said, this thread makes it sound like a big hassle but the ship cell tower is a Godsend for emergencies. While I was on my European cruise in November, my petsitter ran out of food and called me. If it wasn't for that cell tower, my babies could have starved!!! :eek:

Archived