Advice needed on choosing a cruise.

MAZANDSTEVE

Ok, we have just come back from a cruise on the Brilliance of the seas and had a fantastic time in Europe. Next year we would like to visit Thailand and Vietnam but would like to incorporate this with a cruise there, so maybe 7 day cruise and 7 day land vacation. Please, has anyone any ideas which cruisline/ company does this sort of thing and any website info would be great.

Thanks in advance.:)

asia is the new hot spot. not a lot of choices right now buit there will be more.

in less than a month i board my asia cruise :)

be aware, though, that visiting china adds about $200 per person to the cost for a visa.

If flying from the UK you really need to do a 14 night cruise to make it worth the 14 hour flight each way, otherwise you'll be a zombie for part of the trip if only doing 7 nights.

Cruises out of Hong Kong & Singapore do not need a visa if you're a holder of a full UK passport, those out of Shanghai do need a visa.

Costa have itineraries that include Vietnam and they provide the visa for you and it is added to the on board account. Thailand IIRC is not a visa country so you should be OK there.

The Costa 14 night cruise out of either Hong Kong (as I did last year) visits Philippines, Borneo, Brunei, Singapore, Vietnam (Saigon & Da-Nang) and Sanya, then back to Hong Kong. Unlike the Royal Caribbean cruise that is similar, the Costa ships can get right into Saigon via the Vung Tao river, takes 4 hours each way. RCI takes you by bus into the city from the coast, the river journey is amazing and something not to be missed if you can get onto a ship that does the trip.

:)

If flying from the UK you really need to do a 14 night cruise to make it worth the 14 hour flight each way, otherwise you'll be a zombie for part of the trip if only doing 7 nights.

Cruises out of Hong Kong & Singapore do not need a visa if you're a holder of a full UK passport, those out of Shanghai do need a visa.

Costa have itineraries that include Vietnam and they provide the visa for you and it is added to the on board account. Thailand IIRC is not a visa country so you should be OK there.

The Costa 14 night cruise out of either Hong Kong (as I did last year) visits Philippines, Borneo, Brunei, Singapore, Vietnam (Saigon & Da-Nang) and Sanya, then back to Hong Kong. Unlike the Royal Caribbean cruise that is similar, the Costa ships can get right into Saigon via the Vung Tao river, takes 4 hours each way. RCI takes you by bus into the city from the coast, the river journey is amazing and something not to be missed if you can get onto a ship that does the trip.

:)

Sounds like what we would like to do, thanks for info. Were Costa good to cruise with? not heard much about them.

Sounds like what we would like to do, thanks for info. Were Costa good to cruise with? not heard much about them.

I find them to be perfectly fine, a 14 night Far East is running in at 800 quid each for an inside twin cabin, they can add on the flights & a hotel stay pre cruise too which cuts the hassles. Allegra doesn't have the ice rink etc but she is a comfy little ship with a crew that is second to none :)

My huge cruise next year on Allegra - which is the best ship to do the itinerary I did last year on - is costing 3000 quid with flights & hotel and that's for a solo!

Ok, we have just come back from a cruise on the Brilliance of the seas and had a fantastic time in Europe. Next year we would like to visit Thailand and Vietnam but would like to incorporate this with a cruise there, so maybe 7 day cruise and 7 day land vacation. Please, has anyone any ideas which cruisline/ company does this sort of thing and any website info would be great.

Thanks in advance.:)

Royal Carib. has some 3 & 4 day cruises in Asia. We are doing a 16 day on Ocean Princess in December. Since we have been to Bangkok before we are doing an oveniter to Kai River Bridge and Tiger temple. Instead of wasting a sea day, for Vietnam, will will tour Saigon, then fly that nite to Hanoi, see Hanoi the next day and that nite fly to danang and the next day and see Ho An, Hue and Danang. This all do-able. at end of cruise that ends in Shanghai, you can fly to Xian and then to Beijing. We have been to Asia twice before, if you need more info you can e-mail me at

alanmal@aol.com

Archived