Our TA advised us to not tip!!!

Hate to harp on the same topic over and over but it sounds to me like another case of someone who is being a TA on the side. A good 'real' professional travel agent would never make an offer like this an not honor it. They live by their reputations.

I think TA's should have to get certified like Real Estate Agents do and Insurance agents. Now, anyone can start working and call themselves an agent (in most jurisdictions... so don't flame!).

Too many people just booking trips for friends so they can get a free trip.

If you choose to use a TA, make sure you find a good one who has taken some courses and has some experience and is doing it as a job and not a sideline hobby. A good agent is gold.

Obviously the "friend" TA is wrong but there is a limited amount of commission to be allocated to perks. I wonder if the TA already gave them an onboard credit or a bottle of wine?

Sounds like the OP has nothing in writing but I'd still complain. A pattern of complaints may result in future action.

I don't know if it's a good idea to take a vacation if you don't even have $100 of available credit to handle unanticipated expenses.

I don't know if it's a good idea to take a vacation if you don't even have $100 of available credit to handle unanticipated expenses.

We don't know that for sure. Money is a hard topic for everyone, and those of us that can cruise and put things on credit are lucky. OP had a really crappy experience and I think we should all keep these suggestions in mind instead of berating the OP, who seems to clearly have learned their lesson. I, for one, feel thankful that this hasn't happened to me, and as I said in my other posts, hope this "friend" is reported every possible agency.

Commission is based on volume usually anywhere from 10%-16%. ....

And a very important note.....the commission is not given on the full fare of the cruise. There are 2 rates that make up the cruise fare...commissionable rate and non-commissionable rate. Then the taxes are added!!! TA's get their commission ONLY on the commissionable rate and nothing else!

As others have mentioned, the pre-paid gratuities will end up on a confirmation from Royal Caribbean. If your agent purchased them for you then they will be on the confirmation right away. If the cruise line is adding them as a part of a promotion through your agency then they will appear within two weeks of sailing. So, if you are outside of two weeks and don't see them then you don't have to get nervous yet. However with two weeks to go you will see them on the confirmation in all cases. Have your agency send you a copy of the invoice noting the fact that the gratuities are pre-paid.

Michael

Maybe I am out in left field here but isn't there an ATM on board. The OP cpould have gotten the $$ from the machine and left it for the tips. If you don't have some wiggle room on the credit card what are you doing cruising? Go camping. Seems likr the budget is too tight.

I am surprised that no one commented on how low a tip they left! And the assistant waiter got nothing?

Did you not read that it hurt their heart to leave such a small amount but it was all they had left? And that they did without what they had planned to do in port in order to give SOMETHING to those who served them?

I figured OP did not have a credit card or means to give more.

Kathy

If money was that tight, and if it were me, I probably would NOT have booked the cruise in the first place.

I feel no sympathy for creating a situation like that.

Seems to me OP was very wise financially. He did without a vacation for three years and carefully saved his money. He budgeted for this short cruise and made a wise choice (no airfare). He researched ways to save even more money. He took just the amount of money he thought he needed so he would not be tempted to go overboard (no pun intended) in his spending. He was just caught offguard by an unscrupulous "friend."

Some people put cruise after cruise on their credit cards and end up paying for them years after they have sailed. THAT is who should not cruise.

Kathy

gotta agree there should be enough margin in the cruise budget to tip all of your service personnel...even if you thought it was already covered by the TA or whomever.

to the OP, better luck (with your TA / "friend" and your budget) next time.

Nasty situation to be in and my only comment other than did you at least write a nice note to the appropriate management people so that they didn't think your tip removal was because of poor service?

I started this thread to warn other people about what happened to me, not to get bashed by anyone, yet some have made me feel worse by their comments. :(

Our bar bill was $0. We do not drink.

Our Seapass account was $0. We are very careful with our money.

I started this thread to warn other people about what happened to me, not to get bashed by anyone, yet some have made me feel worse by their comments. :(

I too am sorry others have made you feel this way. Nothing wrong with being careful. But glad you two enjoyed your cruise :)

Angie, don't let these bad comments get to you.

I totally understand your situation because I travel with folks just like you. We often go in a group of retirees, many of whom have had to save for a long time for their cruise, and I usually take it upon myself to figure out a budget for them to cover everything. These are people who do not have a lot of money. Some don't even have credit cards. This is their "trip of a lifetime." I explain tips, etc. They probably don't spend a penny onboard. I can easily see them falling into the same trap you did given the same circumstances.

Not all of us have unlimited funds.

Kathy

Please ignore these heartless people.............. You did the best you could under the circumstances and that should be the end of it.

To the Op - I am sorry that you are being treated so harshly on here. I think you did the best that you could do in the situation and you should report your TA's unethical behavior. I understand your rewarding yourself with a cruise after not having a vacation for years, buying land, building, etc., and not having the cash on hand to tip when you hadn't budgeted for it. And you are wise not to use credit cards to charge what is not in your budget. You did your best in a difficult situation, and I hope you have great cruise memories.

You don't need to scan and copy your bill:rolleyes: to prove anything to anyone. Anyone intelligent can understand that you weren't trying to skip out and that you were certainly intent on tipping and thought you had. For anyone to imply otherwise is pretty heartless, in my opinion. To say that you should be carrying money to cover tips that you've already paid is kind of crazy. Should I also bring $3000 to cover the cost of the cruise I already paid, just in case? Should I bring the amount to buy a soda card if I already paid it, too? Should I also bring cash to cover all of my excursions, even though I've already booked and paid for them?? Makes no sense. You were under the impression that they were paid. You were duped. I commend you for how you handled the situation. Not everyone has tons of cash lying around or if they do - not all are willing to spend it on a vacation. Yet everyone deserves to vacation regardless! I'm glad you had fun on your cruise.

Nasty situation to be in and my only comment other than did you at least write a nice note to the appropriate management people so that they didn't think your tip removal was because of poor service?

There was no tip removal. The tips were never prepaid like they were supposed to be. At least that's how I read it?

Seems to me OP was very wise financially. He did without a vacation for three years and carefully saved his money. He budgeted for this short cruise and made a wise choice (no airfare). He researched ways to save even more money. He took just the amount of money he thought he needed so he would not be tempted to go overboard (no pun intended) in his spending. He was just caught offguard by an unscrupulous "friend."

Some people put cruise after cruise on their credit cards and end up paying for them years after they have sailed. THAT is who should not cruise.

Kathy

I agree with you Kathy, I cant stand the nasty comments by some people and those that say " If you are on a tight budget you shouldnt go on a cruise you should be doing something else" who are they to make such comments?

I bet most of them stick it all on a credit card and are in debt!!

Archived