If I don't prepay gratuities.....

jerseygirl79

You can adjust the tips however you'd like - but remember, the tips aren't ONLY your cabin steward and wait team, it also goes to the helpers on the Lido Deck (and maybe other places too, i'm not sure). When you adjust your tips to $0 and pay only cash, you are essentially stiffing some people.

You will get LOTS of opinions here - bottom line, you CAN adjust the tips to $0 and pay cash, but unless you are unhappy with the service, its really kindest to leave it alone.

Why bother taking them off and then tipping with cash when Carnival has made it easy for you? If you want to tip extra at the end for outstanding service, by all means do so. It's not recommended to remove tips and give them cash for reasons discussed on this board numerous times and I'm sure others will explain again.

I know they will be added at the end of the cruise. But what if I don't want them to and prefer to just give the crew the cash I bring? Do I adjust the tips to $0 when I arrive?

Yes at the pursers desk you can adjust, add or remove your tips.......

I know they will be added at the end of the cruise. But what if I don't want them to and prefer to just give the crew the cash I bring? Do I adjust the tips to $0 when I arrive?

Like the others have said, it is your choice as to what to do with the tips. Here is where Carnival says the tips go. So if you do remove them, someone is getting 'left out'.

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $10.00 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline) as follows:

$ 3.50 Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.50 Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

If you remove the tips from your account, any money that you give "anyone" will be put into a "pool" instead of given directly to the person intended. Except for Maitre'd or Hotel Manager.

The staff are given the names and cabin numbers of people who remove the tips and the Steward is questioned as to whether he received any extra gratuity....if so, it's pooled!

And, you better believe that the crew will answer truthfully or be scourned by their fellow workers.

We learned all of this from a friend who works onboard a cruiseline.

If you remove the tips from your account, any money that you give "anyone" will be put into a "pool" instead of given directly to the person intended. Except for Maitre'd or Hotel Manager.

The staff are given the names and cabin numbers of people who remove the tips and the Steward is questioned as to whether he received any extra gratuity....if so, it's pooled!

And, you better believe that the crew will answer truthfully or be scourned by their fellow workers.

According to John Heald's blog, the tips are not pooled if you tip directly.

According to John Heald's blog, the tips are not pooled if you tip directly.

They are not pooled at all........

Nor are the crewmembers questioned if they receive extra tips.........

Carnival sets the options and op and everyone else has the right to do whatever she chooses to do with her tips.........regardless of how people feel

That may be true in your friends experience, but on Carnival ships (at least the 16 that I've been on) and by John Healds own statement on this issue, the cash given directly to any crew member are kept by that crew member.

I have discussed this with many many bartenders and service people and there has never been anyone that has indicated otherwise.

Dont be cheap. If they go above in service, you can always tip more, but why remove the tips? I sure would hate to be on that list posted in the crew quarters saying I removed tips.

Not cheap. Nor am I concerned about being on a list. Just had a question regarding my options.

I really appreciate the answers from the posters who provided real insight and understanding.

AGAIN? Really folks! Leave the gratuity and enjoy your cruise knowing you have already tipped them, then for exceptional service, give them a personal tip! :rolleyes:

Yes. Again. Really. And really sorry if this post forced you to respond. Again.

That may be true in your friends experience, but on Carnival ships (at least the 16 that I've been on) and by John Healds own statement on this issue, the cash given directly to any crew member are kept by that crew member.

I have discussed this with many many bartenders and service people and there has never been anyone that has indicated otherwise.

Thanks for the clarification.

If the "automatic tips" are left in place!

Nope..........ANY CASH TIP......whether you leave the auto tip on or not......

It has been discussed over and over so Host Mach shot a email to John Heald and this is what he said........

Plus I believe the staff prefer it on the S&S as it goes to thier pay check. They do not like to have large sums of cash on them as theft is a real danger for the employees- they have no where secure to keep the cash.

We leave it on the account but also give small tips to anyone that goes above and beyond to us the whole time. Sometimes it is small things like a cigar if I find they like them, or a phone card and the like.

Do I understand correctly: tipping is not mandatory on Carnival Cruise Lines. The cruise company is attempting to add tips as daily charge on patron's account. My question is why? Tipping is something that you give for great service above and beyond your expectations. For something specific that you need(like extra towel, pillow or splash of booze in your cocktail). Most important is that it's a personal decision and private transaction that company has no business to be involved with. Bottom line - how do you feel when you sign for that "tip" at purser's desk? Are you sure that money finds that special person who helped you out? Maybe it does... who knows? I like the warm and fuzzy feeling of slipping the bill directly into the hand of a great servant.

Do I understand correctly: tipping is not mandatory on Carnival Cruise Lines. The cruise company is attempting to add tips as daily charge on patron's account. My question is why? Tipping is something that you give for great service above and beyond your expectations. For something specific that you need(like extra towel, pillow or splash of booze in your cocktail). Most important is that it's a personal decision and private transaction that company has no business to be involved with. Bottom line - how do you feel when you sign for that "tip" at purser's desk? Are you sure that money finds that special person who helped you out? Maybe it does... who knows? I like the warm and fuzzy feeling of slipping the bill directly into the hand of a great servant.

oh no...here we go again poke.gif

Just when I thought this thread was going to go quick and easy. I'll get the popcorn.

I actually like the auto tip, Dont need to be concerned about having the extra cash at end week. I personally find 10.00 PP per day is reasonable for the work of the staff, room stewards, dining staff etc---3 meals a day plus some..., I also tip extra for going above and beyond. Although, I agree it could get expensive for a larger family.

I think they all work real hard for the money.

---Its acceptable to remove tips if service does not meet your expectations however

I wouldnt without giving them a reason for it. Only my opinion.

Archived