Doing New England Cruise 10/10/09

firecapt25

We are taking cruise to New England in October on Princess. In Newport we are taking the Cliff Walk Tour. But interested in doing the Fort Adams Tour. Is the tour close to where the boat tenders drop you off and second is it a pretty good tour. I love the old forts and history.

Also doing Hop on Hop off tour in Halifax along with doing the Titanic tour.

Freedom Trail In Boston and St. Martin and Bay of Fundy in St. John

Waiting on to see if can get on Olie's Trollee in Bar Harbor.

And other excursions that might be worth the time and money.

Just a comment on some of the tours.

For Newport, you can take a city bus to Cliff Walk and return, the only difference is you won’t have the narrative from the tour guide. Buy a Frommers travel guide instead or read here: http://www.cliffwalk.com/index.htm

As for the Princess tour of Fort Adams, I went looking for details of the tour at the Princess site and came up empty. You will need transportation to get to Fort Adams. If all forts are your thing, you’ll love Fort Adams. http://www.fortadams.org/

The tour buses line up on the streets closest to the tender dock, maybe 100 feet away.

For Bar Harbor, Oli’s Trolley ( http://www.acadiaislandtours.com/ ) is a good choice. If that doesn’t work out, try Acadia NPT (http://www.acadiatours.com/ ). They are a private compay that provides tours of Acadia National Park. Whichever one you select, take the longer tour; and just a warning, you’ll be visiting BH at near close to peak leaf peeping season and you may find the tours filling fast by tourists.

Make sure you allow time to walk the town and do the Bar Harbor Shore Path : http://www.acadiamagic.com/ShorePath.html

Yes Fort Adams is not a princess tour, but I heard its a great place to visit while in Newport. Just wanting to know is there a place close by where tenders drop you off where you can do Fort Adams tour. And yes I have tickets for Oillies Trolley.

Thanks for info on bus for Cliff Walks looking forward to it.

Fort Adams is approx. 3.7 miles from the tender dock; and since your visit is in October, the seasonal ferry and bus to the fort are done for the season :(. If you really want to visit the fort, consider a taxi. With a cruise ship visiting Newport, you would have a better chance of getting a taxi at the Newport Visitor's Center, located one block north from the tender dock.

As your cruise ship approaches the Newport anchorage area, Fort Adams will be to starboard; and when anchored, the fort will be within sight. The tenders go right by the fort and you should get your closest view then. If weather permits, ride on top of the tender for the best view.

Here's what you will see from the ship. It quite a view of the fort.

newport.jpg

Last time I heard you can't get in but can only walk around the outside. This may have changed but that late in the year I doubt it. This was taken in 04 on the Grand Princess.

framer

• 2 weeks later...
We are taking cruise to New England in October on Princess. In Newport we are taking the Cliff Walk Tour. But interested in doing the Fort Adams Tour. Is the tour close to where the boat tenders drop you off and second is it a pretty good tour. I love the old forts and history.

Also doing Hop on Hop off tour in Halifax along with doing the Titanic tour.

Freedom Trail In Boston and St. Martin and Bay of Fundy in St. John

Waiting on to see if can get on Olie's Trollee in Bar Harbor.

And other excursions that might be worth the time and money.

We're on this cruise also, with a group from the City of Miami Fire Dept. Are you part of this group? I didn't recognize the name.

Keep in mind that in Newport, we'll also be there during their Oktoberfest. This will be held right in town, so after touring you can enjoy a beer and a little chicken dance!

We've planned to do the hope on/off in Boston on the Old Town Trolly. Been to Boston before and want time to enjoy a lobster lunch. We've don'e the Acadia tour twice and have opted to do the lighthouse tour through Princess by catamaran.

If you haven't been to Peggy's Cove, that's beautiful. We're doing the Pub tour in Halifax, and the Traditional Lobster Bake in St. John's.

After this miserably hot summer here in FL, I'm so ready for the fall weather!

If you haven't already done so, you might want to sign up for the roll call onboard the ship with other Cruise Critic members.

Nancy

No I am with Atlanta Fire, I heard there was a bunch of firefighters on board.We have did Peggy's Cove before this time HoHo tour . And looking forward to Jordan's Pond House.

Wanted to do Island Explorer but, called chamber and they stated last day for free buses is 10/12/09 the day before we arrive.

• 1 month later...

Archived