Athens - Nov. 17 Anarchists Ball

Lionshambles

Hello - I am traveling on the Celebrity Solstice and will port in Athens on Nov. 17. I just found out Nov. 17 is an anarchists holiday of sorts, a remembrance day regarding a military coup that took place that the U.S. apparently supported. That upset the locals and now every year on that day they protest outside the U.S. embassy and at the universities.

It seems like the Greek anarchists can get a little rangy, based on recent past episodes.

What kind of precautions should I take when visiting on Athens on this day, I mean despite not wearing obvious U.S. clothing or hanging out at the universitya and having good situational awareness.

I want to see the Acropolis, Plaka, Thissio, and I hope the way is clear.

Does anyone else traveling there on this date share my hesitation?

Hello - I am traveling on the Celebrity Solstice and will port in Athens on Nov. 17. I just found out Nov. 17 is an anarchists holiday of sorts, a remembrance day regarding a military coup that took place that the U.S. apparently supported. That upset the locals and now every year on that day they protest outside the U.S. embassy and at the universities.

It seems like the Greek anarchists can get a little rangy, based on recent past episodes.

What kind of precautions should I take when visiting on Athens on this day, I mean despite not wearing obvious U.S. clothing or hanging out at the universitya and having good situational awareness.

I want to see the Acropolis, Plaka, Thissio, and I hope the way is clear.

Does anyone else traveling there on this date share my hesitation?

November 17 isn't an anarchists holiday, is for all Greeks holiday to honor those who died by the military junta.

We don't have any problem with USA citizens!!:eek:

progress towards the U.S. embassy is symbolic of the role played by the U.S. in those years. Since then have changed a lot and never blamed anyone of U.S. citizens but your politicians.

1. if you want visit National Archaeological Museum doing the morning and go ONLY from Victoria metro station! don't walk from Omonoia to museum!

2. Don't go near Syntagma square!

3. You can visit Acropolis, Thissio and Plaka area without problem.

4. if you finish your tour the evening, return to ship with a taxi, don't go to metro... maybe waiting for ever:p...

As usual, good suggestions by Fafos.

My understanding (from participating in the Athens forum daily for the past year) is that it is best to avoid Syntagma Square (where the Changing of the Guard ceremony occurs hourly), where so many of the demonstrations take place, and the university area on such days.

Fafos and CintiPam, thanks for your responses. My wife and I have been looking forward to our day in Athens for quite some time, and from your responses it appears as we will be able to get around pretty well.

Thanks again for your help.

Lion

Archived