Throwing rolls and wine bottles in dining room

When I was on AOS, a RCCL last November, I had complained that the smaller children were taking up the entire front row at the evening performances. I was told my the staff that they do not like to upset other passengers so they just let alot of things slide. I think they let the dining antics slide because they don't want to lose any more clients.

By the way, when I was cruising in November, the bread was on the table. I was reading that they don't leave it on anymore? Is that on all ships?

Try Princess cruise lines, it is a bit more expensive but the food and service speaks for itself. Royal Caribbean is a product of their prices.

Linda

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;5;29;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Enchantment of the Seas May 29

RCL ADVENTURE OF THE SEAS 2003

PRINCESS REGAL 2002

NCL SEAWARD 1993

NCL SOUTHWARD 1992

Dubidub2: You crack me up! icon_wink.gif (and I caught the 'fishing' reference there too!)

..but anyway..

ilinda: Your brought up a good point:

"they let things slide because they don't want to loose any more clients"

BUT - who are they going to lose? They will lose the paying guests who don't find these antics the least bit humorous, or acceptable.

Perhaps those with deeper pockets than the "cut-off shorts crowd"!

...oops, gotta run, Margaret just yelled "Dinner" and I've gotta go put some clothes on...

Grandeur of the Seas

05-31-04

Originally posted by ilinda:

When I was on AOS, a RCCL last November, I had complained that the smaller children were taking up the entire front row at the evening performances. I was told my the staff that they do not like to upset other passengers so they just let alot of things slide. I think they let the dining antics slide because they don't want to lose any more clients.

I don't get it, so they would rather up set the rest of the passengers than just the few that are the problem. It makes no sense.

I would of kicked out the roll throwing passengers and made the rest of the dining room passengers happy.

2 or 3 unhappy is better than hundreds unhappy!

Soveriegn 92 E. Caribbean

Majesty 95 W. Caribbean

Granduer 97 E. Caribbean

Rhapsody 00 Mexico

Vision 02 Alaska

Radiance 03 Panama Canal

Brilliance 3/29/04

Radiance of the Seas/Panama Canal 10/18/2003

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;10;18;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800Are we there yet?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;10;18;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

My bags are always packed!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;3;29;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Brilliance 3/29/2004

I also saw shorts in the dining room EVERY night.Are pride, respect and manners a thing of the past??

---------------------------------------------

Sadly , I think long past. icon_mad.gif

1d.jpg Alaska (my BIG 50)Serenade of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;8;8;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I'm hardly upper crust, definately middle masses.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LCSherwin - your post reminded me of an old Charley McCarthy/Knucklehead Smith routine. They find themselves at a "black-tie" affair and pause to look upon the scene in all its snobbery.

Charley - "Well Knucklehead, how do you like partying with the cream of the crop?"

Knucklehead - "What do you mean by 'cream of the crop?'

Charley - "These people. They're called 'The Cream of the Crop.'"

Knucklehead - "Why?"

Charley - "Well, you see Knucklehead, like these members of society, cream floats on top."

Knucklehead - "Yes, but so does scum."...

Why shouldn't children be in the 1st row? As long as they are behaved I don't see any problme. We generally eat 2nd sitting and are used to the showrooms being so empty that they would welcome anyone in the first row!

Hank

PhoenixCruiser: "SWIM DIAPERS"

For those of us who missed that thread, can you "FILL" us in on that 'Diaper Caper'?!?!

I for one, wouldn't mind getting to the 'bottom' of this issue. icon_rolleyes.gif

FOLGY: " I also saw shorts in the dining room EVERY night..."

- If I may take your quote completely out of context, I would suggest that a gentleman shouldn't be looking up there!

Grandeur of the Seas

05-31-04

FOLGY: " I also saw shorts in the dining room EVERY night..."

- If I may take your quote completely out of context, I would suggest that a gentleman shouldn't be looking up there!

-----------------------------------------------

huh icon_confused.gif

1d.jpg Alaska (my BIG 50)Serenade of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;8;8;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sandhillwings:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I'm hardly upper crust, definately middle masses.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LCSherwin - your post reminded me of an old Charley McCarthy/Knucklehead Smith routine. They find themselves at a "black-tie" affair and pause to look upon the scene in all its snobbery.

Charley - "Well Knucklehead, how do you like partying with the cream of the crop?"

Knucklehead - "What do you mean by 'cream of the crop?'

Charley - "These people. They're called 'The Cream of the Crop.'"

Knucklehead - "Why?"

Charley - "Well, you see Knucklehead, like these members of society, cream floats on top."

Knucklehead - "Yes, but so does scum."...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure what you are getting at... Did I notice the scum or am I the scum?

Anyway, we never had much money when I was a kid, but I was always taught to dress and behave appropriately. There are lots of people who are well off that don't know how to do that. There are lots of people who aren't well of who don't know how to do that.

It seems that the people who are well off who don't behave appropriately do so more in a verbal sense. Even when they dress down, they really don't dress down.

Ah ****, I'm doing it again. Never mind.

Enchanment of the Seas 4/2002

Radiance of the Seas 1/2003

Monarch of the Seas 3/2003

Adventure of the Seas 1/2004

I don't hesitate with this kind of thing, and I'm polite when I deal with it, too.

If I had been in the dining room that night, I definitely would have asked to speak to the maitre 'd myself, and asked that the whole table be cleared. I would have emphasized the HUGE number of people paying a HUGE amount of $$ for this cruise, and we did NOT pay to watch a table full of men have a food (and wine bottle) fight.

My guess is there was more than a little alcohol involved in this incident.

Scruffy appearance: I actually like the people watching to see who dresses the tackiest!!

Peggy - RCI since 1973

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I'm not sure what you are getting at... Did I notice the scum or am I the scum?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oops. Sorry, I was simply relating a joke. Wasn't "getting at" anything...

The cruise ship dining experience is an unusual one to say the least. You have a dining room that has been decorated so elaborately and beautifully that a 5-star restaurant would be impressed. You have several different waiters at your 'beck and call'. Anything on the menu is yours for the taking, with no limits imposed whatsoever.

AND...by the same people who have made all this possible...you will find - waiters singing for you, dancing around the room with centerpieces on their heads, and even an invitation to perform the Macarena during dinner! (on Voyager)
No wonder why they have to tell people what the appropriate attire is for each night! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

HOWEVER..no matter where you're at..be it Spago or 'Mickie D's'...there is basic etiquette to follow. For one, food 'fights' (or the like) is inappropriate in public. If you want to do that at your own dinner table, feel free, but it is most definitely not appropriate in a public place.

I won't address the topic of dinner attire much because it's such a hot topic. I'm in favor of dressing according to whatever is suggested, in fact I look forward to it. In my daily life I commonly eat at fast food or casual restaurants...cruising is such a cool and unique experience...I love dressing up! But many don't, so I won't go there.

That said, I can sit back and maybe do some work today.

Cindy

Sovereign of the Seas-June 2002
Voyager of the Seas-April 2003-Read My Review Here [url="http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=408097554&m=6323075917"]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=408097554&m=6323075917[/url]
Mariner of the Seas-May 30, 2004!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;05;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]  Til we cruise on Mariner--woo hoo!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sandhillwings:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I'm not sure what you are getting at... Did I notice the scum or am I the scum?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oops. Sorry, I was simply relating a joke. Wasn't "getting at" anything...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry... That was my self deprecating sense of humor.

I forgot I am new here.

[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CRUZ-AHOLIC:

HOWEVER..no matter where you're at..be it Spago or 'Mickie D's'...there is basic etiquette to follow. For one, food 'fights' (or the like) is inappropriate in public. If you want to do that at your own dinner table, feel free, but it is most definitely not appropriate in a public place.

Cindy

Sovereign of the Seas-June 2002
Voyager of the Seas-April 2003-Read My Review Here [url="http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=408097554&m=6323075917"]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=408097554&m=6323075917[/url]
Mariner of the Seas-May 30, 2004!
[url="http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;05;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500"]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;05;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/url]  Til we cruise on Mariner--woo hoo!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well stated. I completely agree.

This type of behavior is totally unacceptable. It saddens me that RCCL does not take steps to curtail such behavior. IMHO RCCL will end up losing passengers that enjoy a first class cruise experience and end up with passengers that don't know how to dress or behave themselves in public. I hope RCCL steps up to the plate and starts to enforce their rules. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/vine.gif[/img]
UNTIL I SET SAIL ON THE JEWEL OF THE SEAS
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;11;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
[img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/2hulagirls.gif[/img]

hdawson- "Regardless of age, we are always a reflection of our parents."

Beg to differ. Some of the nicest parents are cursed with the worst kids and some the worst parents have good kids they don't deserve. In today's society, peer pressure can easily have a greater influence on the young than parental example.

Let's examine the statement in the OP and try and figure out what really happened. OP says rolls and even wine bottles were being thrown between two tables. Judging from the responses, I guessing most people are envisioning a full-blown food fight, ala "Animal House", with rolls and wine bottles carreening all around the dining room. If this was the case, I'm sure staff, waiters, security, etc. would have been all over that immediately. Realistically, and I would ask OP to weigh in, I'm guessing there was a group occupying two tables, and they started lobbing rolls from one to another, and thinking this was funny, someone picked up a wine bottle to be really cute and lobbed it over as well (probably a gentle toss, easy to catch, otherwise we would have heard about glasses broken, dishes scattered, etc). I'm guessing by this point either the waiter or HW made their appearance and asked them to stop. OP indicates the conduct did stop. If this is the scenario (which seems quite a bit more plausible than the Animal House food fight), you have some boors who engaged in childish behavior, were called on it and stopped. Unacceptable behavior, but worth getting kicked off the ship? (no repeat behavior mentioned). Worth saying RCL's response was inadequate? That's my point. If this scenario is somewhat like what happened, I think the incident was probably well-handled.

The shorts issue is entirely separate.

Golden 11/01
Monarch 12/02
Fantasy 6/03
Serenade 9/03
Radiance 11/03
Mariner 6/04
Enchantment 9/04
Legend 3/05

In all my cruise experience (5 cruises),I have yet to see any staff member or security staff directly stop rough-play or get involved in any way.No one wants to be the bad guy.

I guess nobody wants to make waves,no pun intended...

"a bad day at sea is better than a great day at work and a lousy day at sea is still pretty damn good!"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cruiserforlife:
In all my cruise experience (5 cruises),I have yet to see any staff member or security staff directly stop rough-play or get involved in any way.No one wants to be the bad guy.

I guess nobody wants to make waves,no pun intended...

"a bad day at sea is better than a great day at work and a lousy day at sea is still pretty damn good!"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On our last cruise, there was a heard of unsupervised children waiting for the doors to open for the chocolate buffet. When the doors opened, the children stampeded for the buffet. There was a security officer standing there that started towards those running for the buffet but he had his arm grabbed by one of the head waiters who told him to leave them be. Now that really irritated me. Security was trying to do their job but a waiter was stopping him from doing it.

Future cruises
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2005;01;14;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]
Monarch OTS - Mexico Baja 1/05
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;11;14;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]
Explorer OTS - Eastern Caribbean 11/04

Past cruises
Vision OTS - Alaska 7/03
Legend OTS - Alaska 7/02

There were several rolls "thrown" and I mean hard, like a baseball. The wine bottle was thrown,corked,with some still in it, it bounced on the carpet and rolled under another table. The people at that table were not amused. I never did see anyone from the staff speak to the guys but I also wasn't watching their every move. Regardless, this type of behavior should not be tolerated and in my opinion, there is NO excuse for it, especially in a formal dining room.My 17 year old son was the first to point out the rude behavior and even he couldn't believe it.These fellows had no concern for anyone else, just in their own "good time".

Enchantment of the Sea
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;1;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

My Father always said "DON'T CONFUSE MONEY WITH CLASS".

Your W2 is no indicator of your manners.

Royal Majesty '89,'90'91
Nordic Empress '95
Galaxy'98
Century '99
Majesty of the Seas '01
Constellation ''03
Mariner of the Seas '04

Archived