tuxedo & shoes question

rednblackstar

I'm sure I don't know my dear but if you ask one of the nurses they'll tell you.

A Compassionate Gari

Oh Gari, behave and do tell what one wears on ones feet on a formal eve...although l dread to think what is about to come...after seeing your pic earlier :rolleyes:;):eek:

Jackie :)

I'm sure I don't know my dear but if you ask one of the nurses they'll tell you.

A Compassionate Gari

Well, Gari, I took your advice and did ask the nurse who very kindly told me just who I am, but for the life of me, I can't remember what the dear gentleman said.

Gail (I believe)

I've always bought tux's from our local rental place for my boys starting in junior high on up. The rental places sell off the tux's from sets when too many cannot be replaced in the rental pool. I got a great classic black tailored tux and brand new white shirt for about $75 for my 15 year old son. He's already used it twice and we are going on a 16 day trans atlantic cruise in three weeks on Holland and he will get at least two more uses just on the cruise. Great deals! Now if only there was a classic black rental/purchase program for women?

Here I am:), gosh you've got a good memory. No, can't abide men in patent shoes; fine on ladies. Don't know why, just one of my (many) little foibles:o.

Mary

Oh, Mary. No need to apologize. It is quite a bit for men, but then again, it IS the proper and recommended shoe for us of a formal eve. I am loathe to depart from proscribed tradition. And quite frankly, I do like the shiny shoe look once in a while...off to boil some eggs...

I have a pair of cap-toed oxfords with patent at the toes and calf through the mid....frankly, I hate them with everything. ;0)

At least in the US, due to the financial ills at Hart, Schaffner & Marx, I've found Hickey-Freeman and HSM tuxedos at scandalously low prices at Nordstrom Rack; I purchased one in May for under $100 (plus alterations), of the same model President Obama wore to the Inaugural. I donated my old one, which seems to have shrank in the closet, to the local chorus.

E

I think your fine with formal black leather shoes. I have worn my silk evening slippers black with a gold fleur de lis , but so few people wear formal shoes, it was a bit of a conversation piece, not necessarily one I wanted however. You would be well advised to bring your own tux shirt, studs, ties, cumberbuns and the like, though they have them for sale in the shop, they are pricey.

I donated my old one, which seems to have shrank in the closet, to the local chorus. E

Shrank in the closet;).... there seems to be a lot of that going around. Apparently a little-known property of long storage.

question: for a tux, does one have to wear the shiny patent leather oxford shoes or could i wear a pair of leather suit shoes i have? thanks!

Hi, thanks for asking the question. If you are requested to wear "formal" clothes for dinner, part of that is a "dinner suit" or "tux" and a "formal" shirt. ie. one with pleats on the front or studs (instead of buttons) that separate it from shirts that many wear for work or business/interviews. You would also wear "cuff links". And a "bow tie". And a "cummerbund". Black socks. And "patent" shoes.

Hi, thanks for asking the question. If you are requested to wear "formal" clothes for dinner, part of that is a "dinner suit" or "tux" and a "formal" shirt. ie. one with pleats on the front,

or studs (instead of buttons) that separate it from shirts that many wear for work or business/interviews. You would also wear "cuff links". And a "bow tie". And a "cummerbund". Black socks. And "patent" shoes.

or a Marcel front (Much nicer, pleats are a bit, 'Ladies Night at the Buffs (Elks)'

Gari

hi - i'm going on my first QM2 voyage.

2 questions for you veterans and tuxedo-in-the-know:

1) i was gonna buy a tux, but ended up decided on renting one on-board. anyone ever rent a tux on board and have any reviews and/or suggestions on navigating it?

2) i know i have to bring my own shoes. question: for a tux, does one have to wear the shiny patent leather oxford shoes or could i wear a pair of leather suit shoes i have?

thanks!

I spit shine my shoes and they are fine. I would go with a well polished pair of suit shoes. Joe We were aboard five years age and are returning in November . Enjoy your cruie

The one thing I would not advise is colored bow tie/cummerbund sets or highly decorated vests. I was once the only guy with a maroon tie and cummerbund on QE2, and I did not make that mistake again.

Are you sure it was the colour, or did you have it on upside down ?

Not sure which is worse...

The one thing I would not advise is colored bow tie/cummerbund sets or highly decorated vests. I was once the only guy with a maroon tie and cummerbund on QE2, and I did not make that mistake again.

I hope my avatar is visible, then you can see how utterly splendid a colourful, but tasteful, matching set can look.

Peace and love,

Nalcoln

Lordy Mary, l don't know where l drag things up from either, but l do recall you mentioning your dislike for the male patent wear! ;)

Do hope you are well.

Jackie :)

Patent leather are still preferred with a tux even though (for my feet anyway) they rarely are comfortable. I solved that problem on a QE2 crossing in the 80s by tossing them overboard in the wee (very) hours of the last formal night of the crossing. No one noticed me padding around in black socks the rest of the evening. Saved packing them to take home too. Besides, some oceanographer will find a pair of formal shoes at the bottom of the Atlantic and claim they came from Titanic.

rednblackstar,

I noticed you hail from Brooklyn, don't we all.

I found a guy online and he has a shop on Orchard st off of Grand in NY. $99 for Tux, shirt, tie and cumberbund. Fit great and was as good as anything you can rent. I've used it over 10 times over the last few years and would not hesitate to get another.

BTW, for shoes I recommend Bates lites, which are military dress shoes. They can be found at any uniform shop. Very comfortable. Go with the shiny ones.

Are you sure it was the colour, or did you have it on upside down ?

Not sure which is worse...

Point of Order Mr. Chairman. Is it possible to have a bow tie on upside down? Just a thought in case I have been getting it wrong for the last XX years.

An Interested Gari

Archived