Recent Suite Passengers

Krazy Kruizers

I was re-reading Windy City's review this morning and something caught my eye.

She mentioned that instead of getting a complimentary bottle of champagne from the captain and hotel manager, they got a bottle of merlot instead.

What has everybody been getting lately?

We don't care for red wines and this is a big disappointment to us.

....... And we much prefer red wine. :)

Funny how there will always be some who are not happy with the change and some who will think it great. :)

I think it nice they send us a welcome aboard bottle of any sort and always enjoy it. I'll let you know what (if) we receive either champagne or merlot on Veendam.

KK, I have noticed this recently too. When we were on the Ryndam in November, we did get a bottle of Champagne which actually was drinkable. We will be asking to change it right away if we get wine, especially red wine. Let's hope this is not a permenant change. We had also recieved a bottle of wine from our TA which the Concierge was able to get exchange for our Asti we really like for just a small charge of the difference in price since the Asti costs a little bit more.

That's interesting that 2 of you in suites on the same ship got different complimentary bottles.

There was a time when we used to drink red wine, but one of DH's medications doesn't get along with red wine - it makes it turn sour for him.

So if we get a bottle of red wine, we will have our concierge exchange it for something we like.

Thanks everyone for answering.

You can exchange any wine you get for a different type. They will credit you with the price of the wine you got as a gift and then you can choose the wine you want.

I had ordered 3 bottles of wine. We found a bottle of champagne from American Express and the 3 bottles of wine, one of which said it was from the Captain. I called the concierge, explained that I had paid for 3 bottles and that I had a card from the captain, one from American Express and the 3 bottles I had paid for and they delivered another bottle of champagne. I traded one of the bottles of champage and a white wine for an expensive Shiraz and I traded the other bottle of champagne for a red wine.

I had bought the wine in advance because I had read on this board that wine was more expensive on the dining room wine list than by prepaying it.

That turned out to be not true. In fact, if you pre-ordered your wine on the ship before dinner you were able to get a 10% discount. I don't think we lost anything by buying the wine in advance, but I don't think we gained much either.

Roberta

We did not request the red wine - we were very surprised it was wine and not champagne, which we had anticipated. Yes, it came from the Captain and the Hotel Manager and we did not think to ask the concierge to exchange it. Rather, at the end of the cruise we gave it away to a fellow cruiser.

Archived