New HAL policy

jennan76

Anyone hear about the new HAL wheelchairs policy? I just got a revised letter for my sailing in March that says HAL won't offer comp wheelchairs on board anymore. Has anyone read the website yet? I guess not such a bad idea since the HAL chairs are kinda crappy and there aren't enough to go around anyway. I never liked the idea that you couldn't take the HAL chairs off the ship in to port anyway. What's the use?

As I have always said, if you need a wheelchair, even part time, it is far better to purchase your own (nearly all insurances cover this) or rent your own and bring it from home. It is yours exclusively, you have it for the airport arrival and departure, no hoping you will find one when you need it, and you can get it so it actually fits you (yes, they come in sizes and may be customized if needed). Ships wheelchairs, like airline wheelchairs, are the cheapest one they can purchase, and should be reserved for emergency use only.

I agree with Splinter.

Furthermore, all cruise lines have pretty much stated that their wheelchairs are for embarkation and disembarkation (or emergency use) only (no you can't use them on the ship or on shore excursions). OK, perhaps the "unofficial" policy of some employees on board (who were tipped) was different. In the past, some have let passengers take the chair ashore (unofficially of course). HAL is just restating its policy (so that employees and passengers know what it is). It really isn't a departure at all from their past policy (their real policy -- not what happens on the ships). As Splinter said, if you need a wc full time, then rent one or bring your own. The cruise lines are not obligated to provide this service.

Candy

I also agree with Splinter.

Bringing your own wheelchair or renting one is the best way to go. Relying on a cruise line to provide a chair is risky at best. In the past, we did so because we did want to bring two chairs (a power chair for on board and a manual one for ashore). We found it to be a mistake. On HAL, we had special permission to take a chair ashore, but had to take parts from 3 chairs to get one that worked. RCCL promised us a chair if we would wait for passengers to be brought aboard, but did not get so we had to wait 2+ hours at every port for one to be brought aboard. In addition, the cruise line are moving towards chairs with fixed leg rests which are too small for my 6' 2" husband.

Archived