Port of Miami to Airport

sallycruiser

Does anyone know how long it takes to get from the port to the airport. I have a 10:50 am flight that I hope to make.

If I get off early from the ship and catch a taxi will I be able to make it?

Take you about 30 minutes pending traffic. If you check in on line using the ships internet you will want to be at the airport at least an hour prior to departure. So you'd want to leave the ship around 9AM. You're going ot be rushed.

You never know exactly when you will get off the ship. Just because the itinerary says you will disembark at 8:00, does not mean that it is set in stone. We have gotten off as late as 10:00 because of customs or other things that can happen.

If I were you, I would try to get a later flight. The cruise lines state in the booklet, not to schedule flights before noon.

JMO

Does anyone know how long it takes to get from the port to the airport. I have a 10:50 am flight that I hope to make.

If I get off early from the ship and catch a taxi will I be able to make it?

The cab ride is about 15 minutes, really very quick. You need to be at MIA by 9:15 at the latest to clear security. This is often possible in Miami, however if the ship is delayed for any reason you will miss the flight.

I had an 11:05 am flight out of Miami and sweated that fact the whole time I was on the cruise. It affected my ability to really enjoy myself because the whole time, there was two things just lingering and eating at me in the back of my mind. First, would the ship dock on time and secondly, would there be anything to hold us up from debarking the ship, thus making us late and missing the flight.

The long of it is the ship actually docked early and we had no issues that held us up from getting off the ship in time to make the flight. We didn't have a lot of time to spare

(about 40 minutes once we cleared security), but we had sufficient time to get through security and get to the gate without a panic.

Now, having said that, I will never ever do that again. Too many things that I can't control can go wrong to cause you to miss your flight. I took a chance and got lucky that time. I took the chance because I didn't want to wait an additionl 5 hours on the next flight. But, I paid for it in grief the whole week and will happily wait the additional time in the future to have a worry free cruise. Unless you have additional cash to trash by having to change your flight if you miss it, I'd book a later flight.

JMHO.

You might want to also take a look at how many other cruise ships dock the same morning you get into Miami. When we docked in February on our last cruise, there were five other cruise ships docked, including one of the big RCCL monsters. That all translates into about 10,000-13,000 people, just about all of whom are heading for the same airport. Fortunately, our flight home did not leave until early afternoon, so we weren't in a big rush. But it took us almost a half hour to get through Customs then 10 minutes in line waiting for a cab. Then the cab got stuck in traffic going out of the terminal because there were 10,000+ other people also trying to leave. It took us another half hour before we were out of the pier and heading for airport. Like I said above, we weren't in a big hurry and fortunately for us, that was good because the security lines at Miami International were incredibly long.

If it was me (and it isn't), I'd opt for an early afternoon flight. Why make yourself miserable at the airport after such a memorable vacation?

I asked this same question a couple of years ago, as we had a Delta flight at that time and the only other flight would have gotten into NE late at night. So I took a chance and booked the 11:00 flight. We were sailing on RCCL's Majesty which is a small ship. We did self debarkation - pretty much a walk off at 7:15 and grabbed a cab and was at the airport by 8:15. Worked just fine. But I have to admit, I too worried about it, and probably would try to avoid it again.

Enjoy your cruise ~

Archived