Sun Princess - run as Princess or P & O

We are booked on the Nov 14 sailing of the Sun Princess. Anyone out there been on her and is she run as a Princess ship or as a P & O ship? What might the difference in management mean? I read somewhere on one of the boards that some think the experience is not as good as on other Princess ships. Anyone had first hand experience that can comment? We have sailed a lot on Princess so would want to know the difference.

Thanks.

Sue

Guest xywolap

Hi Sue..

I've been on the Dawn Princess (identical twin to the Sun) and thought the experience was excellent in every way. Maybe the evening shows could have been better but that is not all that important to me.

From what I have read they are run as Princess ships and the P&O link is purely an administrative convenience seeing they are all under the Carnival shipping umbrella.

When some compare ships they tend to overlook age and size. I found the Dawn to be in pristine condition even though she is about 12 years old. Definitely not what you would call aged. They seem to be meticulous about maintenance on her. I would not compare her with new ships twice the size that you have operating out of your area.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised.:)

We have sailed on Sun Princess - she is definately run as a" Princess" ship not a P&O ship.

I checked this out with the onboard future cruise person on our first trip in 2008 as P&O were bringing in new rules at the time. We were advised that Princess had no plans to do the same.

We sailed again this year on SP and found this to be correct.

Cheers

Thanks everyone for the info. I am not picky so will be happy I'm sure. Looking forward to going down under again.

We sailed on the Sun Princess in April and it really is a lovely ship. We found staff to be perfect and the ship to be in great condition. We are sailing on the Dawn Princess in Feb, which has just had a refurb, not sure how minor or major it was, but you will find that the ship is just great, who knows it maybe the next one to have a refurb...

Sun Princess is due to have the big outdoor movie screen.... MUTS ....

added in April 2010,

so I assume that is when she should have a refit similar to Dawn Princess.

Heres hoping, as it will make a great ship

even greater. :):)

Susan i have just had 17 days on the Sun you will have the best time on her she is absolutly gorgeous.

Everything about her we loved and the crew was very good.

They really look after you and our cabin was well set out.

The entertainment we found good something for everyone and if you have children they are well catered for too

Enjoy your trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sue,

My parents just got back today after a 21 day cruise aboard sun princess. They were not happy campers and they are pretty easy going. I am waiting for my mum to write her comments so I can post on her behalf.

I would love to hear of anyone else with any experiences on the Sun Princess from Fremantle, as there are hardly any reviews available.

Sue.

Archived