What train to take from Brussels Airport to Central Station?

Does anyone know how to choose what train to take from BRU airport to Brussels Central Station? I know that the trains are in basement level 1, but how will I know which is the correct one to take for a direct route? Is there a tourist information booth where we can receive help? We are flying into Brussels prior to a cruise out of Rotterdam. I know how to get to the hotel from Central, but am concerned if I will have trouble knowing which train to take. Hopefully someone on CC can help me out.

There are direct trains every 20 minutes or so, takes about 15 minutes.

Go to this site

http://www.bahn.de/international/view/en/index.shtml

and enter your arrival date and time and station names (BRU airport and Brussels Centraal) and it will show you the train numbers for that day.

It is well signed at the airport, and the ticket booth will be able to help you with directions to the proper train platform.

You might want to have a look here: http://www.brusselsinternational.be/wabxlint/en/visitor/practical-information/4681/brussels-airport-train.act

We've done the journey from the airport to Brussels Midi several times and the signage is great, so I would assume that finding the right train for Centraal will also be easy.

Official site for Belgian rail: http://www.nmbs.be. You can even buy your tickets online.

Hours from Brussels airport to Brussels Central are (putting in the minutes past the hour): .04 - .27 - .36 - .52. Rail is under the airport, so very close by.

As long as your remember that our trains sometimes aren't very punctual, you should be fine. Enjoy Belgium for the short time you'll be there

cindy

Cindy's comment on the punctuality of Belgian trains needs to be read in context. Is there on-time record as good as the Swiss? No. Is it much, much better than what you would deal with in England or (setting the bar VERY low) North America? yes. Also, this is a commuter run with 4 trains an hour, so the exact timing isn't all that important.

You will have no trouble finding the "right" train. I've made this trip several times and I have no recollection of how I found the right train. That means simply that it is so easy, there is nothing to think about.

Thanks Cindy. And, thanks to everyone else that took the time to give me invaluable information. I am feeling better about taking the train into town after getting this info. And, yes, compared to our train schedules, I will probably find it a short wait, but it's good to know there is a little leeway so that I won't worry if it isn't there just on the dot. :)

Cindy, I have never been to Brussels and am looking forward to visit very much. Is there anything you can tell me that you think I should know in advance? I would appreciate anything you can tell me. Lindy

Thanks Cindy. And, thanks to everyone else that took the time to give me invaluable information. I am feeling better about taking the train into town after getting this info. And, yes, compared to our train schedules, I will probably find it a short wait, but it's good to know there is a little leeway so that I won't worry if it isn't there just on the dot. :)

Cindy, I have never been to Brussels and am looking forward to visit very much. Is there anything you can tell me that you think I should know in advance? I would appreciate anything you can tell me. Lindy

ARe you planning on visiting Brussels?

Other than that, I can only advise you to keep an eye on your luggage. Pickpockets are operating at train stations. Don't leave your luggage alone for a minute. Don't put your wallet in the back pocket of your jeans or backpack or something. Brussels is pretty safe, but it's just that train stations are the main goal for pick pockets. Brussels Central Station is actually pretty okay, but like in any city, beware of your valuables. And if you happen to travel to Brussels Midi, be extra careful. I had my laptop taken there once and I didn't see or feel a thing. But at Brussels Central, you'll be ok, there's always a crowd there, so no need to worry. Security agents are around stations, they are wearing red sweaters, t-shirts, should you need any kind of help.

When traveling to the Netherlands by train, try taking an IC or IR train. They're much faster. Try to avoid a CR train at all costs, they stop at every station :eek:

And since you're there, try a Belgian (Brussels) waffle with powdered sugar or our fries, they are delicious (I don't know why they're called french fries :confused:). And don't forget to take Belgian chocolate with you :D. It is too delicious to miss it. One word for you: Côte D'or :cool:

Should you need more help, ask away. I'm addicted to CC, so I'm nearly checking the message boards every day

Cindy

Cindy, you gave me a good laugh.....I too seem to be "addicted" to Cruise Critic also. I usually check once a day if possible for any changes or additions.

Yes, we are planning to visit Brussels before we board HAL in Rotterdam for our cruise. I rode a train from Amsterdam to Paris once years ago and I fell in love with the Belgium countryside and always wanted to go back for a visit. I am thrilled to make a dream come true. We will have two days there. I realize that is a short time in which to see so much, but at least I will have a "taste".

I appreciate the tips on being careful. My husband is more trusting than I am so I am having to impress on him the need to be very careful. We are meeting friends that are flying in a day earlier and I was concerned about knowing how to get from the airport to the hotel. Thanks to the help from CC, I think we can make it OK.

Again, thanks to everyone. Lindy

Archived