Century broke down week of 12/18

tidelover

We were looking at booking the Century cruise that goes on 24 december 2005 in the Caribbean - altho looking at the postings here we are starting to wonder if we should look at another option... What do people advise based on their overall expereince. To date we have been on the Qe2 and P&o Aurora in Europe. We are from the UK and had read good things about Celebrity. Thanks gary

We're just back from the Century's Christmas and New Year's cruise. We had a wonderful time. I did notice a few areas of disrepair--especially torn upholstery in one lounge and the bad ceiling above the thalassotherapy pool--but they did not interfere with my enjoyment of the great service and wonderful food.

The entertainment wasn't consistently great. Part of the problem, though, was that they had two extra nights to fill. I would have preferred to see another production show. The singers and dancers were very good. The juggler/comedian was great. He performed two nights--once on his own and on the last night as part of a recap show.

Even with our delayed sailing, we made it to San Juan on schedule. The two days at sea gives them time to make up for the delay.

We are sailing the Century on the 1/22 sailing and we have no qualms about it at all. There were complaints about her last year before we sailed her for the first time (mold in shower, dirty carpets, funny smells etc). We noticed none of this. Our cabin was immaculate all of the time, including the bathroom, there were no odd smells unless you count cigarette smoke in the smoking areas, the food was great, the weather was great and we met wonderful people. Will we have the same experience this time? I don't know, but I bet I'll have a blast with no real complaints. There is too much to do and see and too many nice people to meet to worry about much else unless the ship is actually on fire! :eek: :D

:eek:.... :eek:..... :eek:

If you want genuine "what were those idiots thinking????" tales of lousy ship maintenance, you KNOW you've gotta head to Carnival. Nobody can forget their infamous Tropicale ...

http://www.sptimes.com/News/92399/State/_No_water_No_toilet_N.shtml

What's fascinating is that the same Carnival spokeswoman quoted back then is also the one "explaining" what's happening this month with the latest Carnie junker, the Holiday:

http://www.al.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news/1104574657111831.xml?mobileregister?nmet

The Holiday's passengers have reason to talk about cruises from hell:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=115924&page=2

My family and I also were on this cruise. It was the first time for some and we chose the Century because of its good reputation.

We have cruised on several Celebrity ships and expected the Century to be a similar standard. That was not the case.

We did receive good service from the dining staff and cabin attendants, but the administration of the ship didn't seem to much care about passenger satisfaction.

Along with all the other issues that have been mentioned (cleanliness, low CDC score, etc.), it also bothered me that one of the lifeboats used as a tender in Grand Cayman lost an engine. In strong seas, passengers were tossed around for two hours while the crew tried to resolve the problem. This, along with the propeller problem, that I understand has been a recurring issue for the ship, raised a safety concern for me.

On the whole, the Century was a definite step down from our other Celebrity experiences.

Despite the disappointments on the ship, my family did make the best of things and we did have a good time and enjoyed being together, however, the first time cruisers from our family claim they will not return to Celebrity for another cruise.

Prior to this experience my husband and I booked a January cruise on the Constellation. I am hoping that this experience will be up to the Celebrity standard.

Archived