Oasis - reconsidering?

Well, I can relate to a lot of what has been said both ways. We still like the Majesty and the smaller ships as well. We really like the Mariner and do not "need" more ship than that. However, the Oasis is getting my attention in the same way that a giant 65" plasma TV at Best Buy does. It is so BIG and COOL looking!:D

We love the sea and the smaller ships seem to be more intimate with the ocean. The big ships do seem to turn more attention inward away from that.

At 53, we might need to go ahead & go before marinerboy sends us away to Princess (just kidding marinerboy - I used to think 50 was old too. Good job nanner10).

Beanie, if that picture in your avatar is you, you are wearing 50 very well and I mean that in the most complimentary way. I would have pegged you at 35.

We have a 16 yo that thinks the Oasis would be great. We were looking at next summer, but boy, the prices are sky high. Even the insides are $1200+. I did a comparison of the Freedom and it would cost about $1000 more for the three of us to go on the Oasis if the current prices hold. Our decision would be do book Freedom, book Oasis and hope the prices drop, or wait and see & face more limited cabin choices. We kind of wonder if the high prices for next year are a reflection of high demand or if RCI has posted higher prices in hopes that the market will support it. If it is the latter, the prices may well drop a good bit if sales are not brisk.

Beanie, if that picture in your avatar is you, you are wearing 50 very well and I mean that in the most complimentary way. I would have pegged you at 35.

Well, thank you very much. Yes, that is my pic. It's from May 2008 on a Carnival cruise. I guess between proper diet and exercise since I was 20, staying out of the sun, and being single with no kids (no aggrevation, so I've been told!), it can keep one younger looking longer!

I

Lately I have started to become curious about the Oasis and have started to sneak in and look at the website, etc. We are actually starting to think about booking a cruise on the Oasis. Is anyone else who was initially turned off by the Oasis starting to have second thoughts?

Nah, it's still to big.

I cruise for the ports with a sea day here and there to break things up. I want a cruise that goes places that I haven't already been. I've been to Cozumel. St. Thomas, Nassau, and St. Maarten several times already so would only go there again on an itinerary with several other places that I haven't been yet. I guess no Oasis for me anytime soon.

We kind of wonder if the high prices for next year are a reflection of high demand or if RCI has posted higher prices in hopes that the market will support it. If it is the latter, the prices may well drop a good bit if sales are not brisk.

My guess is that the monthly payments on a Billion dollar ship aren't too cheap....they've got to pay for it somehow!:D

We booked Oasis of the Seas for mainly the ship. However, we haven't been to two of the ports on our sailing so this is an added bonus for us. The one we've visited before (Labadee) is our favorite port so that seals the deal for us. To me, the bigger the ship is, the better.

New ship, ports we've never been too, and Labadee....absolutely worth flying down to Ft. Lauderdale and staying at a hotel the night before for us. I can understand why some don't like the itineraries for the ship because the Eastern Itinerary to us was very unappealing because we've been to those ports before. But, Royal Caribbean wants the main selling factor to be the ship, not the ports of call. And like others said, they would possibly like it more if you don't choose to get off board while in port because then their making onboard revenue from you. Looking forward to next August!!

Still undecided!

We have yet to try Freedom, Liberty or Independence as we were wondering if they were too large.

Also, our recent focus has been to search for cruises that are longer than 7 days and visit some different locales.

With so much ship to explore you would want more than 7 days, too!

Still undecided!

We have yet to try Freedom, Liberty or Independence as we were wondering if they were too large.

Also, our recent focus has been to search for cruises that are longer than 7 days and visit some different locales.

With so much ship to explore you would want more than 7 days, too!

We've never been on a ship as large as the Freedom either, but we're taking the plunge next year. The largest ship we've been on up till now has been the Carnival Legend, and found this ship to be a nice size, but we're not used to anything bigger, so we'll see. As for longer cruises, I would say it depends on your age group. We did a 10 day cruise on the Ocean Princess years ago (the sister to the Sun, Sea, and Dawn BTW). The ports were wonderful as it was a 10 day Southern Caribbean from Port Everglades....enjoyed the ports and loved the ship....was bored to tears on sea days. We were in our early 30's at the time, and were some of the youngest pax on the ship. There were some great, wonderful people onboard, but most of the activities were geared towards an older clientele, so we didn't have much in the way of entertainment for our age group and for our interests. Would I sail Princess again? Probably, but not on a cruise over 7 days in length, at least until we're a bit older.

MrPete you bring up a very good point about hating to get on and off the ship. One of the concerns I have when I cruise Oasis is when we dock at Costa Maya. We won't be docking until 12PM that day. Having experience with 12PM or early afternoon dockings before, I know that everyone will want to have lunch at the same time and get off the ship as soon as the ship is cleared. When sailing the Explorer two years ago there were lines on the stairs all the way up to deck 9 and forget about taking an elevator down, on Oasis I can't even imagine what the lines is going to be getting off with 6400 passengers at the same time. Hopefully, Royal Caribbean will have a good plan in keeping the lines moving quickly otherwise there are going to be some very angry guest on board.

MrPete you bring up a very good point about hating to get on and off the ship. One of the concerns I have when I cruise Oasis is when we dock at Costa Maya.

I also became concerned when I read that the NCL Epic was going to port at the same time in two of the three ports on one of the alternating itineraries (although not sure it it was Oasis or Allure).

Will have to study that closer as time gets nearer.

The Eastern itinerary must of been the one with 2 days in the same port as Norwegian Epic because on the Western itinerary we only see the Norwegian Epic in Cozumel. In Cozumel, we are sharing with the Epic, Grandeur of the Seas, and I think Carnival Inspiration. And that's only looking at RCCL, NCL, & Carnival ships. So it will be a very busy day in Cozumel with over 15,000 passengers getting off the ships that day. Although there are times where I'm going to feel crowded whether its on board and in port, I am still looking forward to this awesome ship!

Archived