Oasis - reconsidering?

I am one of those that thought the Oasis was massive overkill and was way too gimmicky. I was of the opinion (and still am to some extent) the RCI bit off way to much in committing to two of these monsters. I could never imagine that we would have any interest in being on these ships.

Lately I have started to become curious about the Oasis and have started to sneak in and look at the website, etc. We are actually starting to think about booking a cruise on the Oasis. Is anyone else who was initially turned off by the Oasis starting to have second thoughts?

My reluctance to try Oasis has to do with the ports- since she can only get into big commercial ports and I tend to want to go to smaller, more off-the-beaten-path places, I don't think she'll be a good fit. That said, I'll be on Independence this February. If I fall in love with the huge ship and feel that I could buy into the "ship as a destination" concept, I could see my mind changing. I think Oasis would also have to come down in price to compete for my vacation though.

In a word YES, I was not even happy about trying the Indie but I actually loved it. No way was I taking a cruise with 5000 other people. DH was really keen to try the Oasis, he loves anything and everything high tech, so have now made our reservations. I do feel that the ship is the destination. it really is a floating resort. May not even get off at some of the ports we have visited many times before. Actually very excited about it now. Go on, give it a try, you may love it and even if you don't you can always say at least you tried it.

Count me in as one that has reconsidered. I was always excited about the project, but didn't see myself cruising on her anytime soon. We decided to give it a try though. The Oasis will be a year and a half old when we go, so hopefully the kinks will have been worked out by then. I am really looking forward to going now. This will definitely be one of those "the ship is the destination" cruises for us.

Eric

Not really second thoughts, but I was (and still am) a bit uncomfortable about their ability to handle the huge number of people. So I decided to book for December 2010. That will give me the flexibility to cancel if the reports coming back during the first few months are negative. I have to say that the more I read and hear, the more confidence I have that RCCL is really thinking this through in terms of people handling. An encouraging sign is the new procedure for the muster drills. I remember feeling the same doubts prior to our first Voyager cruise and then being amazed at how the ship never really seemed crowded.

I am one of those that thought the Oasis was massive overkill and was way too gimmicky. I was of the opinion (and still am to some extent) the RCI bit off way to much in committing to two of these monsters. I could never imagine that we would have any interest in being on these ships.

Lately I have started to become curious about the Oasis and have started to sneak in and look at the website, etc. We are actually starting to think about booking a cruise on the Oasis. Is anyone else who was initially turned off by the Oasis starting to have second thoughts?

I would never have booked the Oasis, but came home from errands one day and DH said,"guess what I did today?" He booked us on the Oasis for Sept 2010. He is very excited about it. Like others we have been to the ports many times so this will be a destination cruise for us. I know I will have a good time just knowing he is doing something he really wants to do. Usually I find a marathon in a place I would like to visit and that becomes a destination for us(fyi: I am 70 yr). We usually take one cruise a year in addition.

I am reconsidering in the reverse order. I am currently booked on Oasis for July 2010. After just getting off of Freedom (which was great) I don't know if I want to go bigger. I may do Freedom Eastern next year instead.

Also, an Owners Suite on Freedom is cheaper that a Grand Suite on Oasis.

We booked the Oasis for June of 2010. That should be enough time to get any kinks out. I've only ever been on big ships so I would find it hard to go small. I love the Royal Promenade. I also felt that when I was on the Liberty, it seemed less crowded than the voyager class ships (and ALL my cruises were filled to capacity). Maybe because there's a lot more places to put the people. I am hoping it will be like that on the Oasis. Well, I can only try it and see. It's going to be an awesome ship to see!!!!

I love the idea of the big ships with more to do. I want to go on them while I'm still capable of doing all they offer (rock climbing, ice skating, boogie boarding, aqua slides, etc.). I so wanted to book Oasis for next year, but prices are crazy. So, in lieu, my sister and I booked the NCL Epic for Sept. 2010. Also huge, but rather than paying their starting price of $649 for inside (which is fine), my TA got us $599, and up on deck 10 midship, and $100 OBC.

Not really second thoughts, but I was (and still am) a bit uncomfortable about their ability to handle the huge number of people. So I decided to book for December 2010. That will give me the flexibility to cancel if the reports coming back during the first few months are negative. I have to say that the more I read and hear, the more confidence I have that RCCL is really thinking this through in terms of people handling. An encouraging sign is the new procedure for the muster drills. I remember feeling the same doubts prior to our first Voyager cruise and then being amazed at how the ship never really seemed crowded.

We are also of the same mindset. We are booked on the Oasis for the end of 2010 as well and will wait and see once she starts sailing how it goes.

I really have no desire to try the Oasis. I think it will be too big. DH does want to try it, so I'm sure at some point (in the distant) future we will. He keeps reminding me that I did not want to give the Freedom class a try. It is now my favorite class of ship.:p

Yes, well sort of. I did get intrigued by the website, pictures, blogs, etc and decided I want to see it. I ended up booking the Allure though because she's leaving on Sundays and that means that I don't have to take off an extra Friday to travel to Fort Lauderdale the day before the Oasis' Saturday departure date.

Nope, not the slightest bit interested. Give me a Radiance size ship anytime.....have been on Mariner and that's as big as I ever want to go...frankly it was TOO big....

Oasis, is not a ship....it's a small city....

DW and I took the family on a cruise on Navigator in 2006 and had size concerns about that class so I'm not sure the Oasis is for us. But we (just the two of us!) sail in 38 days on a Liberty back-to-back so we'll see if we have size concerns about that. All in all, I'm still skeptical about whether Oasis is for us, especially since it's moving away from the "all-inclusive" ambiance.

I have said this before. Only 10% of the population has cruised...most people go to resorts. So RCI has come up with a resort that moves upon the ocean. Most of us veteran cruisers do not want to be on something like that...but as time goes by...tastes change and so will we. Eventually...most of us will go on the OASIS...sooner or later...LOL.

Nope, not the slightest bit interested. Give me a Radiance size ship anytime.....have been on Mariner and that's as big as I ever want to go...frankly it was TOO big....

Oasis, is not a ship....it's a small city....

I feel the exact same way. The Adventure was too big, and too crowded, and I did not like it nearly as much as I love the Radiance Class ships. The Serenade is my favorite.

I would LOVE to sail the Oasis. I'm one of those people who enjoys the ship just as much, or more than the ports.

But... with other cruises being Sooooooooo much cheaper, I'm going to wait.

My GF has been psyched to try it since the announced it. I was dead set against it but I think curiosity is starting to get the better of me. It is cost prohibitive at this point for my level of curiosity.

I would LOVE to!

Husband ... not so much. He would rather take 2 cruises on a smaller ship.

I am hoping the balconies will eventually come down a bit. Then I will pounce .... with or without him :D

Two FlowRiders , no waiting ! How could you pass that up? We just got off the Freedom of Seas and didn't even think of booking another one on board until I saw the big advertising board and the really nice detailed booklet about the Oasis. We booked it for Jan. 2011 and the price was less then Freedom. They said price increase has not taken affect yet so we took advantage of the low rate plus $100 per person deposit and $100 credit per room. What I don't understand about the new concept is the open area in the middle. What happens when it rains I asked, you pull out your umbrella I was told. But the chance to zip line the length of the world's biggest cruise ship with 6000 people looking up at you....... Priceless !

When I first heard of Oasis, I thought, No Way. I might as well book a land resort. Then I sailed on the Liberty OTS and we had such a great time. The ship honestly didn't seem that big. I never once got lost. The only time the ship felt crowded was one day when we had a sudden, brief rain shower and groups of people went inside off the upper decks all at the same time.

I do understand those who are skeptical. Every ship and every cruise line isn't for everyone. Truly, to each his own. Just remember, ships that were once considered huge are now some of the smallest around.

While I still have concerns about the Oasis layout directing too much of our attention inward instead of out toward the beautiful Caribbean Sea, I am looking forward to the trip. There really will be so much to do for everyone in my family. Plus, I couldn't resist the chance to once again say I've cruised on the biggest commercial cruise ship afloat, this time with two story high accommodations, unlike any other at sea.

Archived