Rockslide On Alaska Railroad Affects Trains to and from Seward

Chenega

Oh yes. There are flood warning for areas of the Kenai Peninsula due to rain and a glacial dam breakout. We were having a wonderful warm and sunny summer in Southcentral Alaska and then the rains showed up about 9 days ago. Oh well, weather is never dull up here.

Oh yes. There are flood warning for areas of the Kenai Peninsula due to rain and a glacial dam breakout. We were having a wonderful warm and sunny summer in Southcentral Alaska and then the rains showed up about 9 days ago. Oh well, weather is never dull up here.

OH MY, I sure hope it gets it out of it's system in the next 5 weeks. I was planning that it could rain, wasn't thinking floods and wash outs :eek:! We have had that kind of summer where I live so I know how this can be. We lost 2 complete roads, that still aren't fixed, to washouts in one storm. My best to you. Hope you aren't directly affected.

OH MY' date=' I sure hope it gets it out of it's system in the next 5 weeks. [/quote']

In the next five weeks?! LOL. Probably 3-4 different and new obstacles will occur between now and then. Earlier this week the Seward Highway was closed for 4 hours due to a big car accident. Then of course there was the rock slide near Portage in April that cut off the road to Whittier for a couple of weeks. Great reasons for people to not plan on covering long distances in a short amount of time. You just never know.

So far, no problem. In fact, we got the lawns mowed at last. Forecast for the next five days is calling for a mix of sun, rain, and showers. Anything goes.

KTUU news reported tonight that train service is cancelled until at least Friday.

In the next five weeks?! LOL. Probably 3-4 different and new obstacles will occur between now and then. Earlier this week the Seward Highway was closed for 4 hours due to a big car accident. Then of course there was the rock slide near Portage in April that cut off the road to Whittier for a couple of weeks. Great reasons for people to not plan on covering long distances in a short amount of time. You just never know.

I've waited behind road blocks on the Seward Highway (Alaska !) for hours and hours. So long that people got out of their cars, made friends and had picnic meals on the road.

The old joke used to be that sometimes there was time to start a family. Well, some of those pick up campers would rock and roll.

That's Alaska!

Points of clarification for those who, like me, were worried about getting from Seward > Anc after getting off a ship!

1) The bus transport (if the rail is closed) is auto-handled by the train. It's not that you're refunded and then you fend for yourself to find a bus... there would be busses available at the same departure time as the train leaves if the train isn't avialable.

2) If you were booked Gold Star and have to take a bus, you'll be refunded the difference b/t what you paid for Gold Star and the coach price.

This is all per the AKRR, whom I just called. The awesome guy I spoke with also said they expect to have this fixed by this Saturday.

Just letting you all know that we are having way too much fun here. It's been raining a lot, and there was quite a bit of local flooding yesterday. Although it stopped raining for about 24 hours, it's now raining nicely again. Here's a link with some photos:

http://www.adn.com/news/environment/flooding/story/882096.html

On top of that, we just had a nice shaker: http://wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov/

• 2 weeks later...

The train was thankfully open by the time of our trip Aug 2nd. I am so glad it was running. It was a beautiful trip. We saw so much wildlife right from the train. We saw many moose, dall sheep, a fox and a bald eagle. The sceanery was beautiful too.

Archived