MTD - prebook vs. first day

Hi - When I sailed this past April, we signed up for MTD on the first day in the MDR. We always prepay our gratuities so that's not an issue. I'm confused about the options with choosing the dining plan prior to sailing. Is MTD only for signups onboard or can you choose MTD before you sail?

If so, is there an advantage? Do you still have to go to the dining room to express your desired time?

Thanks!

David

Yes, you can sign up beforehand. I tried to sign up 2-3 weeks ago for a Rhapsody cruise from Sydney on Dec. 1. I'm on the waiting list--the MTD list is full.

My understanding is that you don't need to put down a desired time, but you can. Or you can just show up, and they'll seat you as soon as they can. The Dec. 1 cruise is my first with MTD and my first on RCCL.

--Michael

Assuming the other RCI ships run MTD correctly as they did on Brilliance in June you have to make a reservation time for each night you wish to eat in the Main Dining Room. From reading the many CC threads on the subject it is clear some of the other ships are not.

They will however in time find you somewhere if you just turn up! but they prefer you to arrange a time for the following night beforehand or you can call during the day to arrange a time as we did on one occasion.

Many people on CC seem to have a problem with the concept and believe they can just turn up as you do on Princess which is "Anytime Dining" ie turn up anytime .... with the RCI ... "Mytime Dining" means you choose a time that you wish to dine! hence the term Mytime dining.

I would pre book if you can. This MTD is getting very popular. On our recent IOTS cruise many people were turned away even on the first day. The line to sighn up was also very long.

If you really want it book it now!!!!:)

I think it depends on the ship as to if you have to make reservations. On smaller ships like the Radiance class they ask for reservations. On larger ships they have more tables allotted to MTD so don't need to reserve a time. What they have on their website says you can choose when to dine every night with no mention of having to make reservations:

With My Time Dining you can experience the fine quality, ambiance and service offered in our main dining room while enjoying flexibility in your dining options. By selecting My Time Dining, you can choose to dine in our main dining room between the hours of 6:00 – 9:30 pm (times vary by ship). Then once onboard your ship, you will have the convenience and flexibility to select the perfect dining time for each day of your cruise vacation.

Many people on CC seem to have a problem with the concept and believe they can just turn up as you do on Princess which is "Anytime Dining" ie turn up anytime .... with the RCI ... "Mytime Dining" means you choose a time that you wish to dine! hence the term Mytime dining.

On some of the RCI ships you CAN do this. We did MTD on Freedom last fall and NEVER made a reservation. We dined at different times each night and were seated within minutes of showing up each and every time.

It appears each ship is working MTD a little different so making broad statements on the process doesn't work in this case. If you specifics on how a ship works you need to ask about that on in particular!

To the OP, if you want MTD I would sign up as early as possible as other have mentioned it is starting to fill up and not always available once you board.

Luckyprincess ..... There may well be differences in the way various ships are running MTD ....but the last line of the paragraph you posted is a little ambiguous, although it does state flexibility to choose the perfect Dining time! which gives the impression that you choose a time to eat ..ie make a reservation! ..... something RCI could do well to clear up.

you will have the convenience and flexibility to select the perfect "dining time" for each day of your cruise vacation.

Akcruz ... my broad statement as you called it is how i understand the MTD works as passed on from the Dining room staff of the Brilliance! if other ships are running it differently then i would suggest it is they who probably have it wrong.... otherwise it may as well be called Anytime Dining so that you can just turn up at Anytime as you are suggesting!

Thanks to all for the feedback - it sounds like it is really taking on. When we were on the Grandeur in April they were practically begging people to sign up for MTD (it had just started on that ship at the time).

So I think if we want to do it we should sign up ASAP.

THANKS!

David

Can you request a table size in advance with MTD? Having had a very bad experience once with a table mate (who was eventaully asked to leave the ship) we prefer a table for two. Are those available?

Can you request a table size in advance with MTD? Having had a very bad experience once with a table mate (who was eventaully asked to leave the ship) we prefer a table for two. Are those available?

You can absolutely get a table for 2 in MTD, as a matter of fact your party will most likely sit by themselves. Not many 'combined' tables in the MTD section that I have seen or heard of.

Archived