NCL Jade: courtyard now open to all suites

jonbrealey

I think you two should meet up in person on a cruise sometime. You'd probably get along famously.

I'm sure we'd get along just fine. If you look in depth at other threads, I suspect you would find that Big Green and I agree on more issues than we disagree.

Wow. I never would have thought that a two week Med cruise would have 700+ kids. But, I guess I was way wrong. I need to have a long talk with my parents--one week in Orlando or Myrtle beach was the gold standard in our family. We are booked in a CV Aug 23- Sept 5, I wonder if that is late enough in the season that the numbers would fall---a little? Don't get me wrong, I am happy for these families that they had the experience, but I must admit these posts are starting to paint different pictures of the courtyard than I had imagined. OP-if you are still reading this thread, I hope you had an enjoyable time and NCL's amends have been to your satisfaction. I too, feel that you handled a bad situation in a classy manner.

I am happy for these families that they had the experience, but I must admit these posts are starting to paint different pictures of the courtyard than I had imagined. .

I guess I am not surprised to learn that, at least at times when school is not in session, courtyard cabins with multiple bedrooms (some specifically described by NCL as children's bedrooms) are often occupied by families with children.

Having just returned from a Baltic cruise and being a very strong fan of NCl [ if they will get my CAS credits on the last cruise straightened out], I can possibly understand their reasoning for wanting to introduce the Courtyard to other passengers who may in the future want to book this area. The Courtyard was hardly used on the Baltic cruise. That being said, perhaps a better way of doing this would be to offer it's use to a small number of AB passengers on a specific port day from 10AM to 3PM on a rotating basis and to compensate the deck 14 passengers by giving them prior notice and perhaps a free dinner at Cagneys. Seems this might be good marketing [that is the only reason I can think of that NCL tried this experiment]. Remember it is hard to sell people something they have not seen!

Having just returned from a Baltic cruise and being a very strong fan of NCl [ if they will get my CAS credits on the last cruise straightened out], I can possibly understand their reasoning for wanting to introduce the Courtyard to other passengers who may in the future want to book this area. The Courtyard was hardly used on the Baltic cruise. That being said, perhaps a better way of doing this would be to offer it's use to a small number of AB passengers on a specific port day from 10AM to 3PM on a rotating basis and to compensate the deck 14 passengers by giving them prior notice and perhaps a free dinner at Cagneys. Seems this might be good marketing [that is the only reason I can think of that NCL tried this experiment]. Remember it is hard to sell people something they have not seen!

NCL is introducing all suite passengers to the courtyard with a cocktail party one evening during the cruise. No reason to allow folks there any other time, IMHO.

Al

NCL is introducing all suite passengers to the courtyard with a cocktail party one evening during the cruise. No reason to allow folks there any other time, IMHO.

Al

Honestly I see no reason for other suite guests to be in the courtyard at any time, unless they were invited there by courtyard guests. NCL has sold the Courtyard as an exclusive area available only to the people who have booked it.

To me that would be like inviting a bunch of people who booked oceanviews up to someones minisuite for a cocktail party, while the minisuite occupants are trying to enjoy the area they paid for.

On our Pearl cruise, the concierge offered to give us a tour of a Garden Villa and the Courtyard Villas, as well as a Penthouse and owner's suite. It was arranged for disembarcation day after the occupants had left the ship. In my opinion that is the only proper way for NCL to allow non CY passengers in to view the CY area.

MrsLeo-

I agree with you 100% in theory, but you can't blame NCL for trying to market the CY. I was lucky enough to visit friends on the Jewel and that showed me how nice it is and we are planning a A3 for our next cruise. No matter how lovely the brochures, until you actually visit, you really can't imagine. In order to make the bottom line work they have got to sell enough of them. I am sure less people are booking them and if they have to upsell too many it won't be profitable. When I sail, I will just consider myself hospitable and welcome the other folks, probably other nice folks I have already met by then in Cagney's at breakfast and lunch.

I would much rather NCL use this tactic to market the CY deck than the aforementioned "free for all" that the OP experienced. I could "share" for a few hours.

I would much rather NCL use this tactic to market the CY deck than the aforementioned "free for all" that the OP experienced. I could "share" for a few hours.

The "free for all" was so completely unacceptable and it is nice that you are willing to "share" but I really think it is tacky for NCL to be pulling these stunts at all.

I think that NCL should respect their guests and give them what they paid for and deliver what was advertised.

If they want to use the CY to market it to other guests, Let them do it at times when the CY guests aren't using them such as before 1:00 p.m. on disembarcation/embarcation day. They could really do a nice job with this, sending out invitations in advance to all who book a suite category, invite them to a lovely brunch/cocktails etc... so those passengers can make arrangements to arrive at the proper time etc..

MrsLeo-

I respect your differing opinion of course. But I like to embark early and disembark late and would relish those times as peaceful. To me, a small party on "night three" would be much more favorable. Besides, I always like a nice party.

Honestly I see no reason for other suite guests to be in the courtyard at any time, unless they were invited there by courtyard guests. NCL has sold the Courtyard as an exclusive area available only to the people who have booked it.

To me that would be like inviting a bunch of people who booked oceanviews up to someones minisuite for a cocktail party, while the minisuite occupants are trying to enjoy the area they paid for.

On our Pearl cruise, the concierge offered to give us a tour of a Garden Villa and the Courtyard Villas, as well as a Penthouse and owner's suite. It was arranged for disembarcation day after the occupants had left the ship. In my opinion that is the only proper way for NCL to allow non CY passengers in to view the CY area.

MrsLeo,

I think perhaps there is a slight misunderstanding here. The poster didn't mean to imply that NCL throws a party for passengers to 'sell' the CY and attendant suites; the Captain hosts a cocktail party for all suite pax only, and that party is held in the CY. That's all. No tours, no selling, nothing like that - just conversation, meeting fellow passengers and ship's officers, and a lovely drink. Or two.

I totally understand the party concept, there is no misunderstanding. However, the primary reason NCL is going to such great lengths to expose suite passsengers to the Courtyard experience is to influence the buying decisions of these people, in hopes this exposure will create a demand.

Like I said, I have no problem with NCL doing that, except it shouldn't interfere with the experience that NCL has promised to the customer who has already paid for that private, exclusive area. I just feel that when the CY is billed as exclusive and private, it should be exclusive and private.

So long as the CY occupants don't mind NCL using it to host a party for all of the suite passengers, I guess it's fine.

I totally understand the party concept, there is no misunderstanding. However, the primary reason NCL is going to such great lengths to expose suite passsengers to the Courtyard experience is to influence the buying decisions of these people, in hopes this exposure will create a demand.

Like I said, I have no problem with NCL doing that, except it shouldn't interfere with the experience that NCL has promised to the customer who has already paid for that private, exclusive area. I just feel that when the CY is billed as exclusive and private, it should be exclusive and private.

So long as the CY occupants don't mind NCL using it to host a party for all of the suite passengers, I guess it's fine.

I agree. We have booked our first CY for our upcoming Alaska cruise. I was surprised to hear/read that a Captain's Party (for Suite Passengers??) is held in the CY. From what I have read, anyone staying in the CY has to vacate the CY for a few hours so that the party can be set up and then cleaned up (approx 4 - 6 hours).

I understand why NCL hosts the party in the CY but this takes away from MY time of resting and relaxing in the CY. Why can't NCL host the party in another area and then maybe give a "walking tour" of the CY?

Oh well, it will only be a few hours of my time that is impacted.

Is this Captain's suite pax party in the courtyard something new - we've cruised 2x in the CY and never experienced anything like this...

Some of the suggestions on how to "market" the CY area to pax are interesting......but several of them would impact our use of the CY and not in a positive way. Like a previous poster said, we embark early (we're onboard usually by 11:30-1:45) and we immediately head up to the CY to check out our suite, climb into our swimsuits. This last cruise we were in the hot tub in the CY by 2 PM:eek: and I personally wouldn't be a fan of having people being brought through to "check out the CY" (I'm thinkin' I feel like we were on display) on embarkation day, port day (some ports DH and I don't even get off the ship but hang-out in the courtyard).

NCL needs to educate the TA's (either through video presentations that the TA could then show their clients), passengers (update the website so that static images aren't being used - again, video presentation). I don't ever recall when booking a suite if we would be interested in learning more about the CY experience - and we use a PCC.

I work in marketing and believe me there are better ways for NCL to market the CY experience than those currently in use. For many of us, all they needed to do was get us up there in a CY villa one time and it was all over from there......I shared these comments with NCL Corp when they called me in response to my e-mail sent to K. Sheehan when this first started. Honestly, if they would listen more to the pax and a little less to the financial folks, some of these recent missteps would never have happened. I do wonder what Corp will come up with next;)

I think that when we toured the CY and GV it was around 9 or 10 in the morning before we debarced. They took great care to only take our group through areas where the guests had already vacated so as to not disturb anyone. That is why I made the brunch suggestion. Watchdiva,your idea is much better. I would think in today's digital age they should be able to come up with a very nice video presentation.

Get (A) a grip or (B) a life. No, really.

The third or fourth day out, the Captain invites every suite passenger to a cocktail party at, I believe, 7 p.m., to meet him and the senior staff. Why, that means even you will be invited. Drinks and wine, and whatever else you might prefer to imbibe, are offered, as well as very nice (think: caviar) hors d'oeuvres. Ours lasted maybe an hour. You are free to attend or not. You could, I suppose, sit in your cabin and sulk and whine that the mean captain is robbing - ROBBING! - you of two hours in the CY THAT YOU PAID FOR!! And I suppose you could inquire at Reception as to whether you are entitled to an OBC because of the intrusion. But that's not all. Ohhhhhhh, no!

Now comes the truly cataclysmic news (I'm warning you, you may want to cancel your cruise right this minute): Sometimes there is no water in the hot tub BECAUSE THEY CLEAN IT EVERY DAY!! Yes, I know. And most likely it will be at EXACTLY the same time THAT YOU PAID FOR when you want to use it that they will clean!!

Just think: If you stayed home, you wouldn't get upset at all.

OMG:eek::eek::eek:

Not everyone will think your post is funny but I sure do.:D

Reminds me of a person who was complaining at one of our CC meetings that somebody brought a few guests to see the Courtyard and they ate all the gummy bears. (I guess on this cruise they had gummy bears in the Courtyard).

The third or fourth day out, the Captain invites every suite passenger to a cocktail party at, I believe, 7 p.m., to meet him and the senior staff. Why, that means even you will be invited. Drinks and wine, and whatever else you might prefer to imbibe, are offered, as well as very nice (think: caviar) hors d'oeuvres. Ours lasted maybe an hour. You are free to attend or not. You could, I suppose, sit in your cabin and sulk and whine that the mean captain is robbing - ROBBING! - you of two hours in the CY THAT YOU PAID FOR!! And I suppose you could inquire at Reception as to whether you are entitled to an OBC because of the intrusion. But that's not all. Ohhhhhhh, no!

Now comes the truly cataclysmic news (I'm warning you, you may want to cancel your cruise right this minute): Sometimes there is no water in the hot tub BECAUSE THEY CLEAN IT EVERY DAY!! Yes, I know. And most likely it will be at EXACTLY the same time THAT YOU PAID FOR when you want to use it that they will clean!!

Um, members and passengers who express the opinion that they do not care to share the Courtyard with other suite passengers, not even for a 2 hour cocktail party, have the right to express it without basically being attacked as "horrible" selfish people. The Courtyard is marketed a specific way and people have every right to expect what they paid for.

I don't believe your extreme sarcasm was warranted. If a cocktail party for all suite passengers and NCL VIPs is held in the early evening, it does mean that CV/AA/A2/GV passengers will not be able to relax in peace after a tiring day. They are entitled to not care for that, just as you are entitled to think that it's fine.

And as a matter of fact, the captain's suite and VIP cocktail party on our last NCL cruise was not held in the Courtyard, but in a lounge. The finger food did not include caviar, although there were several tasty items offered. (Yes, the ship we were on does have a Courtyard and yes, we were in a CV.) Would it have offended or upset me if the cocktail party had been held in the Courtyard? No. However, there were so many VIPs and suite passengers that not everyone would have even reasonably comfortably fit in the Courtyard area...Well, unless some people were relagated to the little gym room or passageways outside the Courtyard itself.

beachchick

OMG:eek::eek::eek:

Not everyone will think your post is funny but I sure do.:D

Reminds me of a person who was complaining at one of our CC meetings that somebody brought a few guests to see the Courtyard and they ate all the gummy bears. (I guess on this cruise they had gummy bears in the Courtyard).

Well, phooey! I'm so upset: We didn't have gummy bears available in the Courtyard. I guess I'd best write a letter to NCL demanding compensation!;):p

beachchick

Hunding the only person I see over-reacting on this thread is you. Most of us have calmly discussed our views and our opinions without all the drama and without the personal attacks. I think you should follow your own advice and :

Originally Posted by Hunding viewpost.gif

There is no need for your nasty inuendo. We are all having a civil dialogue here. Learn how to play nicely, and express your opinion without insults, it's really not that difficult, I am sure you can do it if you really try.

Actually MrsLeo and I, while posting differing views, have each been very respectful of each other, in my opinion. And, debate, while done in a civil manner, can be a very good thing. I am big enough to admit that after hearing someone else's perspective I can change my mind. Even happened once when I was jury foreman.

Without tone of voice it is difficult to determine the true motivation of some posts anyway. We need an emoticon for "sarcasm" at least. Because I think some people throw out humorous jabs and others get offended.

While I personally don't find your attempt at sarcasm funny, you certainly have the right to post your thoughts; and I have the right to post mine, without fear of being ridiculed for those opinions or mocked.

BTW - I do have a life (if this was directed at me) and 20+ years of that life have been spent cruising (since the mid 1980's).

As a first-time cruiser, this whole hoo-hah has done nothing to warm me to cruising! We'd obviously like the chance to have a look around the CY area just to see if it was worth paying for if we ventured on a cruise ship again! And I'd have thought that meeting fellow suite passengers at a cocktail party was a great way to do this. We're in a lowly AE (which, as we're going over Christmas/New Year has already cost quite a bit more than other times of the year!!!). Reading this, I take it that we will get invited to a Captain's Cocktail Party - what's the dress code? We weren't thinking of bringing tuxedos, just a smart suit and tie. (We're a gay couple)

In spite of all of the negative comments, I'm still really looking forward to our first cruise!

Archived