CintiPam's Review of Oceania's Nautica June 5 Athens to Rome Cruise

CintiPam

If you have not yet tired of my self-promotion today on the Med or Italian ports boards, I again post the following link to my review of our wonderful June cruise on Oceania's Nautica, which commenced in Athens and also visited Delos/Mykonos, Rhodes and Santorini before going to Malta, numerous Italian ports and Monte Carlo:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=56647.

Although lengthy, it is well-captioned, including underlines for each port, so you can scroll down to the sections of interest.

I love to talk travel, so feel free to post your comments or questions. It really helps keep the trip fresher in my mind.

Pam

Pam, excellent review.

We are doing the Star Princess in September 2010 to the Greek Isles going to many of the ports you visited.

When you rented your car in Santorini did you see any vans for rent??? There are 8 of us and I wondered if it would be possible to get just 1 large vehicle or if we would need 2 vehicles.

In Rhodes, do you feel the main sights are walkable around the old town area DIY???

How easy is the walk around Delos??? There is a ships excursion from Mykonos that takes you there and we plan on doing it.

Thanks again

Cheryl

Pam, excellent review.

We are doing the Star Princess in September 2010 to the Greek Isles going to many of the ports you visited.

When you rented your car in Santorini did you see any vans for rent??? There are 8 of us and I wondered if it would be possible to get just 1 large vehicle or if we would need 2 vehicles.

In Rhodes, do you feel the main sights are walkable around the old town area DIY???

How easy is the walk around Delos??? There is a ships excursion from Mykonos that takes you there and we plan on doing it.

Thanks again

Cheryl

Thanks, Cheryl, it was a wonderful itinerary and great vacation.

1. Santorini - We never saw any vans for rent, but just google Santorini car rentals and you will come up with a lot of rental companies with whom to check by email.

2. Rhodes - IMO, unless you are going elsewhere on the island, Old Town Rhodes definitely is best and easy DIY. We just copied some materials from guidebooks in our local library, including a map. The walled Old Town is very small, so you cannot get lost for very long, and you will be docked only 100 yards from an entrance. The old synagogue and its museum have small rooms, so best DIY, as well as the Archaelogical Museum, if that interests you. The Grand Master's Palace is a Mussolini recreation, with mosaics stolen from around Greece; many tours visit there, but again, its museum is best visited DIY.

3. Delos - Most of the walk around Delos is very easy and flat, including to and from the famous avenue of the lions and the sole museum on Delos. There is one area to the right of the dock with some houses and the theater that would require a lot of steps up and down, but if that is a problem, it would be easy to have a very nice trip just skipping that area.

Enjoy your trip!

Pam

Thanks Pam

We definitely love the museums and the history!!! We will reserve the Delos trip with Princess then.

I think Rhodes is a day we will wander the town and maybe go back to the ship early and relax. We have only 1 sea day out of 12 days so we will be worn out.

Again, great review. I will be visiting it often to see what other questions are asked, etc.

Thanks

Cheryl

Archived