Buses to Mendenhall

mamadot

Hello,

A suggestion...rent a car in Juneau. Rent a Wreck will meet you at the dock, and take you to the office by the airport. From here it is a short ride to Mendenhall. After Mendenhall, there is a wonderful drive to see St. Theresa's and Auk Bay.

You return the car when you want to and they will give you a ride back to downtown Juneau. Say hello to the owner Konnie.

I would also rent a car in Skagway. Ketchikan and the other ports you can see on your own.

I'm not sure why you would want to rent a car to get to Mendenhall Glacier. The buses are easy to find (under the cable car) and within walking distance of the pier. The driver gave us narration on the way to the glacier. We were able to stay as long as we wanted and walk around the surrounding area. Then hopped on a bus back when we were ready. I believe they ran every half hour. A lot cheaper and less time restricted then the ship excursion to the glacier and also a lot cheaper.

$7.00 a person each way to the Glacier, on the big blue buses. Be careful - we went to the visitor center and the guy there wanted us to share a taxi with another couple, even though all of us made it clear we didn't want to do that. He was quoting incorrect prices for the buses, and incorrect schedules.

If you go on the $7.00 each way blue bus, you can stay as long as you like at the glacier and hike or walk the trails. You do not have to pay money to go into the visitor center unless you want to. Just pay attention as to when the blue bus will be back throughout the afternoon (every hour or so).

Our blue bus driver dropped us off downtown, so we could walk around. It's an easy walk back to the ship!

By the way, you might happen across a free docent-led tour of the state capitol as we did. It was fun and interesting, and the price was right!

I'm not sure why you would want to rent a car to get to Mendenhall Glacier. The buses are easy to find (under the cable car) and within walking distance of the pier. The driver gave us narration on the way to the glacier. We were able to stay as long as we wanted and walk around the surrounding area. Then hopped on a bus back when we were ready. I believe they ran every half hour. A lot cheaper and less time restricted then the ship excursion to the glacier and also a lot cheaper.

Hello,

Did you visit the Auk Bay section of Juneau which is beyond Mendenhall. Did you visit a truly interesting church...St Theresa's which is steps away from Auk Bay? And did you drive over to Douglas Island for some great views of Juneau? Did you stop and get some picnic supplies and have a picnic while in Juneau? Did you see the Governor's mansion?

Sure, it is easy to get the bus, go see the glacier and come back to the ship. But for those who want to see and do more in Juneau and surrounding areas a car rental makes sense. And we have been to Juneau four (4) times and a car rental has made our visits really nice.

And a suggestion, see the Alaska State Building in downtown Juneau and take the tour of the building.

Actually, since you asked, we spent the morning walking around, did the tour of the capitol building, walked some side streets to see how people lived, went to the tacky tourist saloon. My DH took the helicoptor tour in the afternoon where he walked on glaciers. I spent the afternoon going to the glacier and then some shopping.

The OP just asked about taking a bus to the glacier. I thought getting a rental car to go to the glacier was more complicated..

• 2 weeks later...

We took the white shuttle bus to Mendenhall Glacier last week. Like the blue shuttle, it was $7 each way (or $5 for our 11 year old).

The day we were there, they had 3 of the white shuttles running, so they were coming about every 20 minutes. On the way back, somebody else asked the bus to pull over and drop them off, so we got off as well and crossed the street to eat lunch at the Paradise Cafe & Bakery - great curry chicken salad!

What size car did you rent in Juneau? Do you know if they happen to have vans or larger rentals as we are traveling with two families a party of 6? we were thinking of getting a car to see things? thanks.. Deb

I suggest that you contact Rent a Wreck in Juneau and see what they can reserve for you. And if possible talk to Konnie the owner. Most likely they will have something, or even two smaller cars. Please do not miss Auk Bay and Saint Theresa's.

There are other car rental companies but Rent A Wreck will pick you up at the dock, drive you out to their place near the airport (and this is very close to Mendenhall) and return you to the dock. I am not sure if the other car rental agencies do this.

Archived