Shuttles/Private Tours From Boston Pier?

Mary D

Private tours in Boston have not been a big topic on this forum. Most folks want to know how to get downtown or to a specific location like Faneuil Hall, the Constitution, Fenway Park, Sam Adams Brewery, etc. The HoHo trolley (Old Towne Trolley) is very popular to go from place to place around town and they have started to come all the way to the pier.

• 3 weeks later...

138east,

On another thread you discussed how to take public transportation into town, at least to get to the Freedom Trail. I was surprised you didn't mention using public transit again. Is this still a good option? I had copied your directions and we leave next weekend, so I'm hoping we can get there on our own.

Thanks for your help.

dogolover3 -

Public transit in Boston and NY is always a discussion topic on these boards. If you tell folks how to do it, then others post saying you should not recommend public transit to folks who are not used to it and that they should just take cabs. I figure if people want to know, then they will ask just like you are doing. Also, the HoHo trolley has started coming to Black Falcon Terminal, which means that for about $30 folks can go all over downtown to all the tourist spots without having to figure out a subway route. The HoHo also goes to places like the heart of the North End and the Constitution that are more difficult to reach by public transportation.

The directions to the Freedom Trail are to take the Silver Line bus from Black Falcon Avenue to South Station. When you get off the bus go to your right to the far end of the platform (direction Alewife) and take the elevator down 1 flight or walk down the steps to the Red Line. Walk to your left towards the back of the train. Ride two stops to Park St, which is on the Boston Common. There is a visitor's center nearby (see map from Freedom Trail web site) and the start of the Freedom Trail. If your destination is Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, you can transfer to the Green Line direction Lechmere at Park St. and ride to either Government Center or Haymarket.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I can't really answer your question. I am based in Boston, but I have not cruised from Boston. I've been to Black Falcon a long time ago when the Tall Ships were in port and it seemed to me there was a bit of walking. Perhaps someone who has arrived by ship for the day will post and tell us their experience.

Not stupid questions at all. The Black Falcon pier is the only pier in Boston. HoHo stands for hop on hop off - Old Town Trolley. It picks up near the pier and does a route with 16 stops around Boston. You can hop off at any stop that interests you and then hop on later to continue the route.

I have walking problems. How far is the Bus stop on the Silver inne from the dock? Also are taxies available?

Thanks

Assuming your ship will dock in the main terminal (all ships do unless there are multiple ships in one day, then they go further down the pier), there is a Silver Line stop across the street to the Left about 50 yards. Taxis are available just outside the door of the terminal.

Archived