ffl fleet week expectations

mina

Okay -- this rarely happens to me as I am quite a thorough planner -- I have accidently booked my cruise out of Fort lauderdale on 4/25/10 -- which just happens to be the weekend for the airshow and start of fleet week. I got lucky and already have the downtown marriot ren for $80 a nite. I am assuming the festivities are right at the port. We really do not like large crowds (or drunk people - although am hoping fleet week is not a party scene). Will we have to hole up in the hotel on friday and sat nites? How bad will the airport be on sunday May 2nd when fleet week ends? Please advise. thanks!

Don't worry, 17th St is not a place that young people go to party! They go to the beach/A1A, to SE 2nd St, or to Miami. The ships will be at Port Everglades, though.

I stayed at the beach this year during fleet week and it was fine. I went out wearing a cotton jersey Maxi dress and walked by a few groups of young sailors and one of them commented out loud "she's dressed a bit formal, isn't she!". I guess he wasn't used to the Maxi dress trend yet, and must have thought it was an evening gown (it was dark out). We walked back to the hotel by about 11 PM, before the majority of the drunks were out and about.

Thank you Royal Cruz -- I thought that the party crowds would be in the beach area -- thats good to know!

Until 10 or 11 the crowd at the beach just isn't the wild crowd. I even went down there this year in the middle of spring break with a girlfriend in the daytime and while there were more people than usual, it was fun but not wild at all. We went to Lulu's and got a spot at the bar right away.

Archived