Questions from first-time QM2 cruisers

tiller

My mom and I are taking the September 8 Eastbound TA. We've cruised several times, but never on the QM2, and we have a few questions. Any advice or answers would be greatly appreciated.

1. Approximately what time do we pass the Verrazano Bridge after we set sail, and where is the best place to view it?

2. We saw a photo of a bathroom that had a caddy on the counter, for holding toiletries. Is that standard for all rooms? We're in an oceanview stateroom.

3. Is it hard to adjust the cabin temperature--i.e. are the controls difficult to reach?

4. What is the temperature typically like inside the ship--do you recommend a jacket or light sweater?

5. What is the self-serve tea in King's Court like? We'll definitely partake of the formal tea at least once but are curious about what type of food is offered in the self-serve version.

Thanks!

Laura

Hi Laura, here are the ones I can help with.

1. Approximately what time do we pass the Verrazano Bridge after we set sail, and where is the best place to view it?

It only takes about 30 minutes to get from the dock to the bridge. I would go to the open decks on deck 12 behind the funnel. She only just fits under the bridge.

2. We saw a photo of a bathroom that had a caddy on the counter, for holding toiletries. Is that standard for all rooms? We're in an oceanview stateroom.

Thereare shelves and a lot of space under the sink for storage.

3. Is it hard to adjust the cabin temperature--i.e. are the controls difficult to reach?

The controls are next to the bathroom door. Two buttons, up to make it warmer and down to make it cooler. Not like on QE2 where it was a tiny wheel.

4. What is the temperature typically like inside the ship--do you recommend a jacket or light sweater?

I am naturally a warm person and I found it just right, so if you tend to feel chilly, I woul take a jacket or light sweater. It's better to have it and not need it than not have it and be cold.

5. What is the self-serve tea in King's Court like? We'll definitely partake of the formal tea at least once but are curious about what type of food is offered in the self-serve version.

Sorry can't help on this one, I had afternoon tea in the Queens Room each day. :)

If you mean the afternoon tea at 3.30pm, in the King's Court you get small sandwiches (with no crusts) with fillings such as smoked salmon or cucumber etc. There's also small cakes and also fruit scones with jam and cream.

----The caddy holds cotton swabs and cotton balls. You will also be supplied with shower caps, bar soap, shower gel, shampoo and conditioner.

----It might take a day to find the exact temp. you want but it's easy to do. It's touch control, up or down.

---- I find it okay for me but have found there are some really chilly areas so I suggest you bring a wrap (shawl, sweater, etc.) just in case

----Like Stephen I generally prefer to be served tea in the Queen's Room but they serve the same food in King's Court at teatime. It's help-yoursef consisting of sandwiches, scones with jam & cream and pastries. In the ballroom the tea is poured by white-gloved waiters from pots. In the buffet you have to make your own tea which involves dunking the teabag in the mug.

Linda

Archived