Age of Celebrity cruisers?

grummanyankee

DH and I were wondering what the average age is of Celebrity cruisers. When we sailed on the Windjammer, the crowd was young. We were in our late 20's. On the Big Red, I'd say they were 30-40 yrs with children. What are the ages of your cruisers on Celebrity? We are 63(me) and will turn 65 on this cruise(dh)

There are several factors you need to consider when estimating average age:

1) Cruise Line: Out of the Mass Market lines, Holland America has oldest average age followed by Celebrity, then Princess, with Royal Caribbean, Carnival and Norwegian having the youngest.

2) Length of Cruise: 4-5 nighters tend to attract younger age. Long cruises (i.e. more than 10 nights) generally have much older average age.

3) Destination: Caribbean for example tends to attract a younger crowd than a Canada/New England Cruise.

4) Time of Year: Holidays, Summer, and Spring Break tend to attract more families because it coincides with time off from school.

5) Newness of ship: Younger people may be attracted to aspects of a new ship - so Celebrity's Solstice Class ships likely will have a younger average age for similar itineraries as their older ships.

Who cares how old you are. You're as old as you feel and if you're out there happy, you'll make friends of every age. Go out and have a blast and happy birthday to DH as well. I did Century for my 50th and found that it's the best way to celebrate a birthday (although Disney World ran a reasonably tight second :)

If you take a longer cruise, the average age will increase. If you cruise during a holiday the average age goes quite a bit lower. If you cruise in summer, the average age goes down somewhat. If you cruise in winter when kids are in school the average age goes up higher. I would estimate the overall average age is between 45 to 55.

First Celebrity cruise coming up in December, a 9-night out of Baltimore. I'm 36 (and look it) and my wife is 40 (but doesn't!). From the sound of things, we may be the youngest on the ship!! :)

Personally, I love this description from one of our guidebooks:

"Celebrity's ships are best suited to well-educated, more sophisticated adult couples........who like to mingle in a large ship setting with stylish surroundings, reasonably decent entertainment, and food and service that are extremely good, at a price that represents excellent value for the money."

I laughed out loud when I read that! I told my husband that we MUST be sophisticated- the book said so!!:p

First Celebrity cruise coming up in December, a 9-night out of Baltimore. I'm 36 (and look it) and my wife is 40 (but doesn't!). From the sound of things, we may be the youngest on the ship!! :)

Don't worry about it ;) There will be someone younger! I'm 23 and will be cruising Celebrity in September - and I can't wait!!

I'm not sure why age matters :confused: Shouldn't it be more about if the cruiseline matches your personality?

Personally, I love this description from one of our guidebooks:

"Celebrity's ships are best suited to well-educated, more sophisticated adult couples........who like to mingle in a large ship setting with stylish surroundings, reasonably decent entertainment, and food and service that are extremely good, at a price that represents excellent value for the money."

I laughed out loud when I read that! I told my husband that we MUST be sophisticated- the book said so!!:p

Since so many of the guidebooks describe Celebrity's passenger base as "well educated" I did a poll where people checked the highest degree they hold. If that poll was remotely indicative of the actual demographics aboard a Celebrity ship, those guidebooks are merely resorting to snob appeal marketing because the educational levels indicated in that poll were not very different than the general population. However, based on my experience, that didn't really surprise me because I have found the demographics on all of the mass market cruise lines to be very diverse. I have met just as many blue collar workers on Celebrity as on Carnival, and just as many physicians and college professors on Carnival as on Celebrity.

It varies a lot by ship and itinerary.

The oldest passenger base we experienced was on our 11 day Mexican Riviera Cruise on Mercury where the average age was around 75, followed closely by 7 night Caribbean Cruises on Millennium and Century before she was refurbished.

The youngest passenger base we experienced on Celebrity was on our 14 night Baltic Cruise to Russia on Constellation and our 7 night cruise to Alaska on Infinity in 2001 when she was a new ship and cruises to Alaska were a lot more expensive than they have been in recent years. The average age of the adults on those cruises were around 55.

I have found the less expensive cruises seem to attract an older demographic while the more expensive cruises attract a younger demographic. That might be because adults who are still in the work force don't have as much time to travel and are more concerned with finding the best cruise for their limited vacation time than the least expensive. On the other hand there are many senior citizens who take a lot of cruises a year and don't want to spend any more for all of their cruises than some people spend on just one or two during the same time frame.

In my experience, I'd say there is no specific age group...You have 2,000 passengers on the average Celebrity cruise and they tend to range in ages from kids up to seniors...I have been seated in the Dining Room with a table full of 40-50 year olds and the next table over were all 20-somethings...I think out of 2,000 people, you will find people spanning all age groups...

The overall average is something a little higher than you'll see on Carnival, NCL or Royal Caribbean, but younger than you'll find on HAL, Oceania, Azamara or any of the luxury lines...Of course, some of those lines skew the age range older because they don't provide childrens' or teens programs...and price is a major factor as well...The really expensive lines tend to price out most younger people who tend not to have as much expendable income as they are paying off mortgages, saving for their kids' educations, etc.

But, Celebrity's price point is within reason for those wanting a nicer, more refined cruise experience than, say, Carnival, and more traditional than NCL, for example...

So, you tend to get people in all age groups, depending more on what they want out of the experience than on what age group they happen to fall in. We didn't start cruising with Celebrity until we were in our 40s (we're not much beyond that now), but we now know we should have started sooner...I think my travel agent started pushing it to us years ago...it took us awhile to catch on though...

im worrying about our forthcoming cruise. we are cruising the baltics 22nd aug (we are 30 and have 2 boys 3 and 6 - just) Im worried that there wont be many kids on board. It doesnt bother me and dh being younger than most onboard cos we like to do our own thing anyway but the kids are a concern. We have cruised last twice out of school hols and only been a handful of kids oboard and those ships were p&o and princess. I phoned celebrity yesterday but they werent very helpful.

im worrying about our forthcoming cruise. we are cruising the baltics 22nd aug (we are 30 and have 2 boys 3 and 6 - just) Im worried that there wont be many kids on board. It doesnt bother me and dh being younger than most onboard cos we like to do our own thing anyway but the kids are a concern. We have cruised last twice out of school hols and only been a handful of kids oboard and those ships were p&o and princess. I phoned celebrity yesterday but they werent very helpful.

see post above, 400 kids onboard. Although, you are cruising right before school starts, so I'm guessing there will be alot less kids onbvoard. It wouldn't matter what line you are on.

Don't worry about it ;) There will be someone younger! I'm 23 and will be cruising Celebrity in September - and I can't wait!!

I'm not sure why age matters :confused: Shouldn't it be more about if the cruiseline matches your personality?

Not worried about it. Just curious. When we sailed the barefoot adventure of Windjammer, it was a young bunch plus an entire senior graduating class. Bid Red of course was young families with kids. We were just wondering if we'd have some folks our age (mid 60's) and older.

I have to agree with those that say that the age is more dependent on the time of year and length of cruise. When our kids were little, Celebrity was our favorite cruise line because they had a fabulous kids program when we sailed mid-summer. There were plenty of young families with kids on board but not so many that our girls were swallowed up by the crowds. These days, we're taking longer cruises during times that most kids are in school. We probably do see older passengers (but then, we're not looking for the families with kids anymore). All I can say is that I've sailed with many wonderful people on Celebrity and would gladly sail with them again.

Archived