Florence (via Livorno) - What to do on a Monday (w/ museums closed)

Terence81

We'll be visiting Livorno (and headed to Florence) while sailing on the Carnival Dream this October. What would you all recommend? I have read in other posts and have confirmed via links provided, that the museums are closed on Mondays. This is unfortunate, but hopefully won't deter our visit.

Any suggestions on things to do while visiting Florence? Should we go to Pisa or do a tour in Tuscany in lieu of heading to Florence?

Thoughts? Suggestions? All are welcome! Thanks

There are lots of things to do in Florence on a Monday. If you haven't been to Florence before, I wouldn't pass it up just because the Uffizi and Accademia are closed. (I wouldn't necessarily recommend the Uffizi anyway, if you only have a day in Florence...)

This question is asked fairly often, so I did a search and posted the results below. If you have a look at these posts, you should get some very good ideas of what you can do on Mondays in Florence:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=13995159

There is so much to see in Florence even if the Academia and the Uffizi are closed. Here are a few suggestions:

Duomo – Santa Maria dei Fiori

Baptistery exterior doors by Ghiberti and interior mosaics of the life of St. John

Climb to the top of Giotto’s bell tower (Campanile) or the top of Brunelleschi’s dome for a beautiful view of the city

Stroll through the San Lorenzo market and then visit the Medici Chapel

Walk across the Ponte Vecchio Bridge and along the Arno River

Stroll through the Piazza della Signora and all of the statuary including a copy of the David

Shopping or window shopping along Via Tounabuoni including the beautiful Salvatore Ferragammo museum and store.

Gelato at Vivoli

Have a great vacation!

Brenda

Not all museums are closed on all Mondays. Look at resources to explore the possibilities, I think the Bargello may be opened on half of the Mondays. The church Santa Croce is marvelous and includes the tombs of Michelangelo and Galileo (the state and the Church is celebrating his achievements this year). If you select a private driver, you can also visit Pisa and especially the Cathedral with its marvelous interior and pulpit by the younger Pisano. If you are interested in discussing options for a Monday, you can email our driver (our group employed him on two consecutive years): Paolo Bonetti (info@unforgettabletuscany.com).

Hope that this information is useful,

David

Pisa resources:

http://www.opapisa.it/index.php?id=16&L=1&T=5

http://www.italyguides.it/us/pisa/pisa_italy.htm

Excellent general site for history, monuments, museums and churches:

http://www.discovertuscany.com/florence/museums/accademia-gallery.html

Santa Croce (Crucifixion, Donatello; Pazzi Chapel: Brunelleschi) (1pm on) 4,00euro

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/italy/florence-basilica-santa-croce.htm

[url=http://www.discovertuscany.com/florence/museums/accademia-gallery.html][/url]

We arrived in Florence on a National Holiday and everything was closed. Knowing this in advance we booked with RomeInLimo and arrainged for a Tuscany wine tour. We had lunch and wine tasting at the Torciano winery, all set up by RIL. We also went to a wonderful Midevil town called San Gemanano (sp?). If you are interested in a private tour they will set it all up for you. We also stopped in Pisa on the way to Tuscany. It was a great way to spend the day.

Thanks all of you that replied! Those are great suggestions and definitely will help me in the planning process. I feel better about our trip to Florence...we really wanted to go the Uffizi, but we'll just have to wait. Looks like I have a lot of research to do from all your suggestions, links, and forwards. Thanks again.

October is a perfect time to be in Florence, you'll love it. My first time there was in October - it's still pleasantly warm, but not beastly hot. There are plenty of people around, but not the crushing crowds of summer.

I love the climb up Brunelleschi's dome at the Duomo. It's eerie once you get into the dome itself, you can almost imagine what it must have been like to be a monk, climbing up there a couple of times a day in long robes and sandals carrying a lantern.

Nearby are the Medici tombs at San Lorenzo, for an over-the-top view of how the very wealthy buried their dead. It's a little hard to find the first time, the entrance is the opposite site of the building from the entrance to the church itself, in Piazza di Madonna degli Aldobrandini (try saying that one three times fast!)

Right around the corner from there is the Mercato Centrale, the main food market of Florence. If you're at all into food, wander through it for a few minutes and don't forget to go upstairs to see all the fruits and vegetables.

You'll also be in the midst of the big San Lorenzo street market - plenty to see and bargain for there.

If you're up for a hike, I love the walk from the Ponte Vecchio up to San Miniato al Monte. I do this every single time I'm in Florence. You start in the bustle of the city and find yourself, only a few minutes later, in an almost pastoral setting, then a few minutes later you're climbing, climbing, climbing up to one of the most beautiful views in Italy. There are a couple of ways to get there, but I prefer the route along Costa di San Giorgio up to Ft. Belvedere, then Via di Belvedere (along the city wall) to Via del Monte alle Croci and up the staircase (there's a cat santuary along side the staircase).

There is so much to see in Florence even if the Academia and the Uffizi are closed. Here are a few suggestions:

Duomo – Santa Maria dei Fiori

Baptistery exterior doors by Ghiberti and interior mosaics of the life of St. John

Climb to the top of Giotto’s bell tower (Campanile) or the top of Brunelleschi’s dome for a beautiful view of the city

Stroll through the San Lorenzo market and then visit the Medici Chapel

Walk across the Ponte Vecchio Bridge and along the Arno River

Stroll through the Piazza della Signora and all of the statuary including a copy of the David

Shopping or window shopping along Via Tounabuoni including the beautiful Salvatore Ferragammo museum and store.

Gelato at Vivoli

Have a great vacation!

Brenda

Too bad, but Vivloi is also closed on Monday. But try Grom. It's open. and get a copy of Frommer's Florence Day by Day. Lots to do.

From Sunny 94F OBX. :cool:

Archived