Anybody not use the pools on a cruise?

JackieH

The only pool I've really used is the swim against the current pool on the Princess cruises I've been on. They are adult only and rarely have anyone in them. Otherwise I just find a deck chair, preferably not even near the pool and layout for a few hours. I find that even on a Caribbean cruise I usually am only out there for a couple of hours anyways. I like the activites on board. Every now and then my husband and I will use the hot tub at night, once again when it is empty!

I went down the water slide on my first cruise, on Carnivals Destiny, one time. I've thought about the pools on the next 2 cruises...and then ordered another drink.

Never been in a hot tub on a ship.

I saw a special on TV about hot tubs and if they dont keep them at a minimum of 103 degrees F, its a nice warm bacteria stew.

Ah, no thanks, I'll pass.

We're coming up on our 9th cruise and have yet to set foot into a pool - we're not "pool people", although we like to sit outside on loungers and read, people watch, etc.

Hot tubs - no chance are we going into the "Human Soup". Ugh.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

We have been on 13 cruises my DH and myself and I think I only went in one pool and that was the last cruise. It was desperatly hot and I couldn't stand it any more.

There is no way that I would get in one of the hot tubs either. People allow alot of their children to get in them and also the pools and don't care about the diaper thing so no thanks.

Plus I also don't want to subject people to my look in a bathing suit.

I am really not that overweight (only about 10 pounds) but still don't want to do that.

This last cruise on the Carnival Freedom I saw so many fat grossly overweight women (even very young) that I guess they thought they looked good or either didn't care with alot of tattoos. I think it looks disgusting with fat hanging all over but that's just my opinion.

Happy cruising:eek:

I thought that we were a bit strange not to use the pools and hot tubs, but obviously we are all the smart ones..My DH got the only infection he has ever had from a hot tub, and so no way is he going to risk it again in the "human soup bowl"

Another bonus is that we get to "bag" everyone who thinks they look great in a swimsuit..especially those "beer-belly" guys:D

Anybody else not use the pools on a cruise? I know it sounds like a silly question. We have been on 3 cruises, and not once have I used the pool. The odd part is, I love summer. I spend just about all summer at the pool at my healthclub/gym here in town. I love sit and get that golden tan, while the kids play around. Yet, when I go on a cruise, the pools never appeal to me, maybe because they are so small, and so many people in it, around it etc...

Dont get me wrong, I love to feel the sun on my face. Last Aug we went on RCCL. Although we never went in the pool, me and my son sat on the upper deck and sunned ourself all while watching the bellyflop competition from above;)

So anybody else that doesnt get into the cruise pools???

I get in the hot tub once or twice and I will swim in the ocean at a port but I don't think I've swam in the ships pool yet and we just finished trip 5. I think because it makes me feel like I am in a tin can swimming.

I went into a cruise ship pool...once...up to my calves and the water was so darned cold I couldn't go any further. Then I noticed the pool was filled with little kids and forget it, no thanks.

I've been into the hot tubs when there is an adults only area, but am now starting to rethink that choice as well. I never put my head into the water and always shower off as soon as I get out, but I hadn't thought about skin rashes before. Just looking at the public in general, not just on a cruise, I don't think I want to share the same bathing water, yuck.

I have also been on 3 cruises & have never been in & have no interest in going in the ships' pools. I agree that they are too crowded & too small. And I don't like salt water, lol! But I have to admit that I'm not a big pool person anyway ... I only tend to go to our neighborhood pool in the evening when it's cooler, the sun isn't so intense & there aren't many people around!

I don't think I've been in a ship's pool in several years. I like the swim against the current pool on Princess (adult only) or the Solarium pools on RCI (also usually adult only). I've sat in a couple of hot tubs, and guess I was lucky. But I have one at home, so I just stick with that for the most part.

In 26 cruises on Monarch I never so much as stuck a toe in the water. And the hot tubs, although they are drained and scrubbed every night...<shudder>

I do not use the pools; I personally find them to be kind of gross; far too many people sharing the same water.

+1

I've never used a pool or hot tub on any of my cruises, and never will.

• Administrators
Anybody else not use the pools on a cruise? I know it sounds like a silly question. We have been on 3 cruises, and not once have I used the pool. The odd part is, I love summer. I spend just about all summer at the pool at my healthclub/gym here in town. I love sit and get that golden tan, while the kids play around. Yet, when I go on a cruise, the pools never appeal to me, maybe because they are so small, and so many people in it, around it etc...

Dont get me wrong, I love to feel the sun on my face. Last Aug we went on RCCL. Although we never went in the pool, me and my son sat on the upper deck and sunned ourself all while watching the bellyflop competition from above;)

So anybody else that doesnt get into the cruise pools???

It's extremely rare for me to use a public pool or hot tub of any kind, but especially on a ship where they are so very small and are used by so very many people. I've seen people doing some WAY gross things before entering the water, and while in it. Even if folks aren't intentionally being gross, sheer numbers mean that by the end of a day those pools and tubs must contain a heavy concentration of bodily fluids, skin flakes, and hair. <shudder>

If the ship has a private spa type area with a mineral pool/hot tub/heated lounger set up I usually will check that out and I've purchased passes to those. But those passes are normally limited and the number of people using those facilities is small.

I'm another one who has never been in the pool or hot tub in 10 cruises. I've never laid on a sun lounger in the sun either - have far too much respect for my skin.

If our balcony is in direct sunlight I usually enjoy the peace and quiet of a reclining chair on the rear decks of a ship in the shade with the added bonus of it often having a view. A much more pleasurable experience and I've never struggled to find a chair

I have only been in a ship's pool once. I was partying hard one night and it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I hide from the sun. This has the added benefit of avoiding the "Lounge Chair Hogs" who are at their worst at the pool. It is just much better for my health and sanity that way.

I always wanted to do the hot tub thing but never had the time when it was not packed like a can of sardines. After reading the comments about human soup I will pass on those too unless I can find the time to be the first one to use it in the morning after it has been emptied and cleaned.

This last cruise on the Carnival Freedom I saw so many fat grossly overweight women (even very young) that I guess they thought they looked good or either didn't care with alot of tattoos. I think it looks disgusting with fat hanging all over but that's just my opinion.

Careful. You don't seem to be dissing the large men, only the women.

I support the right of anyone to wear a bathing suit. I only hope that they choose wisely for their size and shape. If they do not, that's their problem, not mine, and I also support their right to not give a crap what you think about how they look.

if you are too self-conscious to "subject" anyone to your extra 10 pounds, that is your problem. I will wear a bathing suit whether you think I look good in it or not.

YES, YES!!!!! I thought it was only me. On Carnival's Lido deck is where the main pools are and they are all sorts of types of people in it & too many people for me :eek:. Plus I like my privacy. ;) Most of the time I would end up using the jacuzzi in the spa which never has anybody in it. :cool:

Careful. You don't seem to be dissing the large men, only the women.

I support the right of anyone to wear a bathing suit. I only hope that they choose wisely for their size and shape. If they do not, that's their problem, not mine, and I also support their right to not give a crap what you think about how they look.

if you are too self-conscious to "subject" anyone to your extra 10 pounds, that is your problem. I will wear a bathing suit whether you think I look good in it or not.

Yes! You said it! I have spent 55 years of my life hiding out because I do carry extra weight and probably always will. I don't look good in a bathing suit but now, as a grandma, I enjoy spending time in the pool (but NOT on the ship) and beaches with my grandkids and my less-than-perfect hubby. The bathing suit I wear is modest and well made but it doesn't hide my entire imperfect but well loved body....so I have chosen to risk the criticism of "perfect" people and just relax and enjoy my life. If you choose to judge me by the dimples on my thighs instead of the dimples in my smile, it's your loss.

Yes! You said it! I have spent 55 years of my life hiding out because I do carry extra weight and probably always will. I don't look good in a bathing suit but now, as a grandma, I enjoy spending time in the pool (but NOT on the ship) and beaches with my grandkids and my less-than-perfect hubby. The bathing suit I wear is modest and well made but it doesn't hide my entire imperfect but well loved body....so I have chosen to risk the criticism of "perfect" people and just relax and enjoy my life. If you choose to judge me by the dimples on my thighs instead of the dimples in my smile, it's your loss.

Right On, Nelly!!!

Archived