Royal Palms - 7 Mile beach

nbsjcruiser

We'll be in Grand Cayman in February and I think our plan is to go to Royal Palms on 7 mile beach for the day. I'd be interested to hear any opinions of the place and see any pics you might have. How much is a cab out to there? Are the cabs readily available coming back?

Any information is appreciated!

We'll be in Grand Cayman in February and I think our plan is to go to Royal Palms on 7 mile beach for the day. I'd be interested to hear any opinions of the place and see any pics you might have. How much is a cab out to there? Are the cabs readily available coming back?

Do a quick search in this forum for "Royal Palms" or "Reef Grill" and you'll find tons of threads with reviews and pictures.

It's one of our favorite hangouts, and we stop by at least once a trip, just for lunch and a quick swim. The beach is awesome, the food is good and the washrooms have always been clean any time we've visited.

According to what others have posted, a taxi there is about $4 per person each way. Any time we've driven by, the parking lot seems to have tons of taxis waiting to take people back to the ships.

If you haven't checked it out already their website is http://www.reefgrill.com and they have webcams so you can see what the beach is like. We thought it was wonderful. In fact, our daughter got married on their beach last summer. If you want to see a lot of pictures you can go to webshots and search for "albums" by jean_lynd. There are hundreds of pictures of the beach, bar area and their upstairs dining area.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

i was just now watching the live cam from the RP. the place was deserted, but there was a carnival ship moored in teh background. I looked at my watch at it was 3:45 texas time. As the shots refreshed every 10 seconds, I got to watch the ship depart. I'll have to come back tomorrow around lunch to see what the place looks like with people. We'll be giving this place a try in a few weeks.

I used to live on SMB, and I sometimes go the the reefgrill.com webcams to get my "Cayman Fix" -- especially during those cold Chicago winters!

The two webcams work most of the time, and they provide a very accurate depiction of the beach and outdoor eating area. Daytime operations at Reef Grill are directed toward cruise ship visitors, so activities begin around 9AM. By 2 or 3PM, nearly all the visitors are pooped out and headed back to their ships. By 3:30, things are usually very quiet.

The Royal Palms/Reef Grill is one of the best places on SMB for a cruise ship visitor on his/her own to get that "beach experience." They are well-equipped with chairs, umbrellas, tanning lotions, and (of course) libations! Also, the beach there is excellent--though occasionally crowded when a bunch of ships are in at the same time. This is the heart of Seven Mile Beach.

If you're looking for something a little less crowded, go a couple miles further up West Bay Road to the beach and public park at Calico Jack's. They're also well equipped for day visitors.

If you're looking for a much quieter place, go to Governor's Beach, which is behind the Governor's residence next to the Westin. Public access to the beach from West Bay Road is available from a small public park north of the grounds--there's a discrete rope that separates the beach from the Governor's yard. This is a pretty quiet place, but there are no chairs or umbrellas to rent. Just sand and ocean! There is a small convenience store in the shopping mall across the road from the Westin where you can buy basic snacks and a few souvenirs.

Archived