Who flies in the day of embarkation?

jerseygirl79

Do you fly in the day of embarkation?  

347 members have voted

1. 1. Do you fly in the day of embarkation?

• Yes, I always fly in the day of embarkation.
    • No, I prefer to fly in a day or more before to start my vacation early.
    • I live close enough to drive to the port(s).
    • I've done both. I fly in earlier if I can, If I can't it's fine too.

There's almost always a connection to get to whereever I'm headed flying out of SA...so regardless of how regular flight schedules are from SA, it is usually the connection that causes the problem. The only port I have ever flown to, then boarded the ship immediately was Galveston...no connection, go figure!

Not to mention, I often fly on free 1st class tickets using reward miles, since I have traveled a good bit for work, and the offerings, depending on how early the flights are "purchased" can be quite limited to off hours flights. I'd rather have the relaxing travel day to get to the cruise and then concern myself with the embarkation process after a good night's sleep (hopefully) in a luxury hotel (sometimes also free, depending on my hotel points' statuses). To me it just makes more sense when going on vacation to enjoy things.

My first cruise, I drove to the port. Even then, I got there the night before.

My second (and most recent) cruise, I flew in the day before. I got to the airport only to learn there was a 2-hour delay.

I brushed it off because I wasn't worried about time. I can only imagine that if it had been the day of, I would have been stressed!!

After still almost missing a cruise a few years ago with flights booked the evening before - I don't just fly the day before, I book first thing in the morning the day before. Much less chance of flight problems with early flights vs. later in the day.

what they said! The earlier, the better. Then if there is a problem, more opportunities to get on another flight.

We flew in once on the day of for our Splendor B2B out of Fort Lauderdale last Nov and made it with very little time to spare. Our flight got delayed and we missed our connection at JFK. They managed to get us on another flight out of LGA which barely got us into Fort Lauderdale. I remember landing, coming in right over the ship, seeing people on the lido deck from the air and thinking theres no way we are gonna make it. It was a mad dash and way too much stress to start off the vacation. The only positive out of it was that by the time we got to the cruise terminal there were no lines or waiting. Everybody had already been checked in and aboard the ship.

Most of our cruises have taken place in the winter months. When you are flying in from Chicago you NEVER know what massive snow/ice storm is going to hit. It is kind of a necessity to allow that extra day...and PRAY!

On the same subject....we live about a 45 minute drive from O'Hare airport in Chicago. Before a cruise we took in 2008 they were predicting a very big snow storm during the night and we were to fly out the next morning (still a day before the cruise) So that night we drove up to the O'Hare area and stayed in a cheapo hotel that would keep our car for the week. The next morning we could barely see our car under the snow drift, but the hotel shuttle took us into the airport. Our plane was about three hours late leaving. We thought it was great that it was not cancelled. Made it to our destination later that day and onto the ship the next morning.

what they said! The earlier, the better. Then if there is a problem, more opportunities to get on another flight.

Learned my lesson the hard way on that one - until you've sat in the airport in tears after being told there is no way they can get you there in time for your cruise the next day (that you booked a year ago and have been patiently waiting for) it's easy to say otherwise. I even thought I was covered as I knew there were two possibilities for later flights that night but they were all overbooked. Everything the next day was overbooked.

We had just gone back to the agent to have them book our flights to Cozumel to meet the ship three days later when they miraculously found us a flight early the next morning (day of.) We went home, stressed and didnt' sleep all night worrying as we would not make it if there were any delays the next day. I thought I would kiss the ground when we actually made it to FLL after a VERY tight connection in Charlotte. We came off one plane, literally ran to the other side of the airport and straight onto the connecting flight. They shut the doors behind us. :eek: It was a terribly stress filled way to start a vacation!!!

After that experience, I was also very thankful that we had both passports and travel insurance. We came just a little to close to actually having to use them!!! (We actually did use the travel insurance some - they reimbursed us for the missed hotel night we were charged for.)

I'd like to fly in a day early but with work schedules and the cost of hotels it never seems to happen. I'll be going on my third cruise next Feb and I already have my flight booked for the day of. We'll be flying in at 11am to Ft Lauderdale. Ship leaves at 4. Praying any snow storms hold off until our flight is off the ground.

The first cruise I was on (with my now ex) our flight was over booked and he decided to take the offer of free round trip tickets for taking the next flight... BIG MISTAKE!!! We were cruising out of San Juan and originally had a direct flight. The new flight had a layover in Miami. We were delayed leaving Pittsburgh and got to Miami with about 10 minutes to spare to get on the next flight. By the time we got to the check in, they told us they had already boarded and closed the doors. No one else could get on. So we sat for an hour and a half waiting for the next flight. Arrived in San Juan around 10:15 pm for a 10 departure. We had called the cruise line and told them the problem and they held the ship for us and another couple who were on the same flight. The only positive to this was there was absolutely NO line at embarkation! LOL

To top things off we couldn't find our luggage because it was on the original flight and was being held in a lost luggage room. We ended up getting a cab at the airport and leaving the luggage behind. The purser took care of everything and we had our luggage the next day while we were in St Thomas. In the meantime, my "husband" only had long pants and a winter sweater to wear because he didn't think to pack clothes in his carry on. I had shorts, tank top, and swimsuit! I still laugh about that! I know, not very nice but it's still funny to me.

Patty

I've only been on two cruises. The first one we let Carnival book our air and it was the day of and we got delayed. Carnival was great though. When we got into the Miami airport there was a person from Carnival waiting at the bottom of the escalator with a sign. I approched her and she was waiting specifically for us. Told us to grab our luggage(which I think mine was the last off the plane) hopped onto a schuttle and were wisked through the embarking process. Last ones on the ship. Missed the life boat drill, which we didn't mind but by then my nerves were shot. Couldn't get a drink in my hand fast enough! Second cruise we flew down the day before. Much calmer. My next one is booked and we WILL fly down the day before.

Always the day before, have a nice dinner out, pick-up any last minute items (suntan lotion, travel size shampoo, etc - easier than dealing with all of airplane security), settle in for a good night's rest, and not be worried about rushing around the next morning.

There are too many "what ifs" to deal with otherwise...Potential weather delays, flight cancellations, traffic problems, connecting flight problems, delay in getting luggage, etc

That's exactly why we fly in the day before....make a trip to Walgreens and pu "supplies'....Once when we flew in the day of the the cruise, one of our suitcases fell off the conveyor belt at the Memphis airport and we did not get it till we got to San Juan about 3 days into the cruise....Dennis

We always fly in the same day as sailing and out the same day we return. We are in NC, though and have always flown into MIA, FLL, or SJU, so the flight is not that long. We did fly into Honolulu the same day of our cruise with no problems, though. We book our own flights so we can pick the times we want and get in with plenty of time before sailing. We learned very early in our "cruising career" not to let the airlines book the flights.

Cruise before last, due to a long flight delay, we boarded the ship between 3:30 and 4:00 PM. (I don't thinks they allow this now.) Never again! We fly in the day before, get to port early enough to eat lunch on the Lido deck, and RELAX.;)

• Administrators
Just curious as I always fly in the day of, but I know many peolpe fly in before. Just wondering what is your reasoning.

I fly in a day before (minimum -- sometimes more if international flights are involved). That's not because I want to start my vacation a day early, as the poll implies, though that is a side effect. It's because I do not want to miss my ship in the event of: car breakdown on the way to the airport; mechanical breakdown of the airplane; last minute flight cancellation; weather delays; air traffic delays (myriad reasons for those); traffic jam in home city or cruise city, etc. I also do not want to be forced to sail without my luggage in case it's misrouted -- the extra day gives it a chance to catch up.

Other beneficial side effects: much less stressful travel, boarding the ship as early as possible the next day, and getting to see a little of the port city.

For me, those are a lot of benefits and well worth the one night of hotel expense (which I usually Priceline). I build it in as a trip cost, just like travel insurance and gratuities.

My first two cruises I flew in the same day.

On my third, I went down the day before and it was a huge difference.

SO much less stressful I vowed I will never do the same day again.

But then again, Im a nervous traveller and always expect the worst. I create my own stress.:)

Just curious as I always fly in the day of, but I know many peolpe fly in before. Just wondering what is your reasoning.

I would rather get there a day early and have some time to relax and enjoy myself before I go on my cruise. I don't worry about a delayed flight because I know I have some time to spare. I can get a good night's sleep the night before and get to the port early to maximize my cruise time.

Actually, I work with someone who flew into Florida the day of their cruise. Their flight was delayed and they almost missed their cruise. Plus, they were without their luggage because of the delay.

I just don't want to have to deal with that high of a stressful situation while I'm on vacation!

Definitely the day before. We live in Wisconsin, and the weather can do strange things in November, which is when our next cruise is. We did day of on our first one and will never do that again. Too nerve wracking to start a vacation that way!:eek:

Dan

Cruise before last, due to a long flight delay, we boarded the ship between 3:30 and 4:00 PM. (I don't thinks they allow this now.) Never again! We fly in the day before, get to port early enough to eat lunch on the Lido deck, and RELAX.;)

And, I might add, I go for non stop flights, if I can swing it!

Ok, here is my story. We are booked on the Miracle out of Fort Lauderdale in November. We live in Philly. DH and I were booked on a flight into FLL the day of departure arriving at 10:30am. We figured even if there was a 2 or 3 hour delay, we'd still make the ship in time. Then one night when I went in to check the flight info, which I do from time to time, I found that our flight was canceled and we were put on a new flight that would not arrive in FLL until 1:30pm if....IF...there are no delays.

So, obviously I called US Air who gave me no problem with canceling our flight. We simply would not have enough time to make the ship on the later flight. Since I was having anxiety attacks about missing the ship anyway, we rebooked a flight for the afternoon before which, looking back, we should have done in the first place.

The good news in all of this is that when we booked the flight in January we paid $650 total for the two of us round trip. Now the flights are around $300. So we have money to stay in a hotel the night before the cruise with some to spare.

Next cruise I book the day before in the first place!

DW and I had flight booked into Miami for same day cruise on Liberty this Sept., arriving 12:57pm. I got an e-mail from airlines last wk and flight times have been changed, now arriving 2:10 pm. It's do-able if everything clicks. Carnival transfers will take arrivals up to 2:30 at Miami, so I think we're OK.

What's life without excitement?:eek:

At least boarding line should be short.

DW and I had flight booked into Miami for same day cruise on Liberty this Sept., arriving 12:57pm. I got an e-mail from airlines last wk and flight times have been changed, now arriving 2:10 pm. It's do-able if everything clicks. Carnival transfers will take arrivals up to 2:30 at Miami, so I think we're OK.

What's life without excitement?:eek:

At least boarding line should be short.

Call the airline and tell them the new time is too late - if space is available they should move you to an earlier flight at no charge. They might even let you change to the day before if your schedule permits.

All it would take is one thunderstorm, or mechanical problem, or heavy air traffic on the tarmac, to delay you 30 minutes and you will miss your cruise. Due to new homeland security restrictions you must be onboard 90 minutes before sailing now. Are you sure they still take transfer arrivals up to 2:30? It may also take 20 or 30 minutes to get your luggage.

Archived