Laundry/Dress Code onboard Zaandam

ClarkKentBlues

Hi, I've read that there are laundry facilities on the Zaandam. Is this true and if so, are they coin op washer and dryers and do you pay with quarters, bills or does it go on your account?

I've also read that no jeans or T-shirts are allowed after 6pm. Do most people follow this rule? Could I get away with jeans and a dressier shirt? It's so hard to pack!....

There are coin operated washers and dryers, with a free iron on the Zaandam. Although we didn't use the washers we did use the iron several times and never had to wait. Most people adhered to the dining room dress code for dinner. I did see one person turned away for wearing jeans in the dining room (upstairs), but another poster who was on our same cruise said she did see people wearing jeans in the dining room and no-one said anything. There were many people in jeans/t-shirts in the Lido at night, as well as casually wandering the various rooms/clubs at night.

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.

Please note: there is no stated prohibition regarding jeans on smart casual evenings. Only shorts and t-shirts are expressly prohibited on smart casual and formal evenings. On smart casual nights I've, many times, seen people in jeans. I don't wear them, but I almost never wear jeans (I don't like how they feel on me).

That being said, I wouldn't suggest wearing jeans for dinner in the Pinnacle Grill on any evening. While the dress code is for the whole ship, people tend to dress up a bit more for the Pinnacle Grill.

Washers are $2 -- 8 quarters -- just puch a button to release the special Bio soap.

Dryers are $1 -- 4 quarters -- bring along your own dryer sheets.

Quarters can be gotten at the front office -- no need to lug your own.

As for jeans -- they are heavier than slacks -- thus weigh down your luggage more -- thus less clothes to take.

Archived