Back from Glory--DS disappointed with CC

bdink921

We just returned from an awesome Western cruise on the Glory. Ship was clean and well maintained, service was excellent, and we loved loved loved our balcony :D. The one disappoinment came from DS10 regarding Camp Carnival. He was really looking forward to spending some time there meeting new friends and having 'kid time'. He refers to it as 'going out'.

Since he loved our Disney cruise--he just knew he would be spending lots of time at CC. Unfortunately although he liked a few things--he really only went a couple of times. We gave him sign out privileges in order to participate in the scavenger hunts--he only made it to one but he had a great time and that turned out to be the highlight of his time at CC. He also played mock blackjack and learned a dance from Fun Force, the hip hop dancers. He told me that free time was only well after 10pm(he was only there once late and when I went to pick him up, it was the only time he wanted to stay) and if he didn't like the activity offered, there was nothing to do. On DCL there was probably more free time than I liked but at least there was an option to do something else if you weren't interested in the activity going on. Once he said the staff were yelling at them for 'no reason'.

I wasn't sad that he wanted to hang out with us though--we had a great time together, went to the shows, played in the arcade, ate lots of ice cream, swam...I considered it a blessing in disguise. BTW I met a few parents that said they couldn't drag their kids out of CC--maybe it was just my DS's age? Anyway, just thought I'd post his experience. He was in the 9-11 group.

I think the 9-11 (and 12-14) age group is a difficult time. Kids mature so differently during this age.

Or it could have been that he was expecting the "Disney experience" and Carnival certainly does not provide that....but Carnival does not have the Disney price tag either.

Glad you still had a good family vacation.

EEK! I have been just a little worried about the 9-11 group, as this is my DS's first time in that age group. Hopefully, he will have fun! I'll report in when we return from our upcoming cruise on the Freedom.

CeleBrat

My ds took his first cruise when he was 11. He's now 13 and we're going on his 4th next week. He tried out the kids club on his first (RCCL's Navigator of the Seas) for about an hour and has never been interested in going back. From my observations with dd10 on the Carnival Glory a few months ago, most of the activities are group activities such as card or board games or dancing or art activities. There seemed to be more girls than boys and the activities seemed to be more aimed towards the girls.

DS13 now spends much of his time in the arcade or doing activities with me.

My 9 year old had the same experience as your DS on Carnival (ours was on Triumph though).

It's not that SHE was disappointed, I guess I was the one who was disappointed. The activities were ok. The camp couselors just didn't seem excited to be there. I know it's work. But they made it seem like a chore to hang with the kids. And we didn't have that experience on Disney or Royal Caribbean.

From my observations with dd10 on the Carnival Glory a few months ago, most of the activities are group activities such as card or board games or dancing or art activities. There seemed to be more girls than boys and the activities seemed to be more aimed towards the girls.

I think you're right about the activities aimed more for girls--there was alot of art and more quiet activities. He liked the gross boy stuff he did last time like making flubber and volcanoes--also he thought there would be more sport like activities like boys vs girls and stuff on the sports deck. Lots of the activites during the day were in one of the clubs that was closed off for the CC kids. I saw what was offered before we went and had a feeling he may not love CC but he really wanted to try it out anyways. The counselors seemed ok to me but yes they seemed much more interested in the kids and excited about their job on Disney. Since we've only cruised the 2 lines it's all I have to compare. I know he wasn't expecting the 'Disney experience' --he thinks he's way too cool for that LOL (at least he'd never admit it).

We were on the Glory in January and my kids ages 6 and 8 were a little disappointed in CC too. They enjoyed some activities but weren't as excited to go there as they were on Disney. When we went on the Wonder when they were 5 and 7 they never wanted to leave the club! They especially enjoyed things like making flubber, jr. detectives and learning how to be a pirate with captain hook. Carnivals activities were just ok.

Archived