Birthday cruise 25 July- 4th August

Hi folks,

just back and already hungry,

We had a great time-

I was worried about all the comments as to how old Sun is getting,

I need not have worried.

When we first got on board I did notice that it wasn't as flash and glitzy as Carnival Splendor or Sapphire Princess- ( we sailed on them in April/May)

and not as big and glitzy as Pacific Dawn,

I was shocked initially by size of buffet area and the lifts- both small in comparison to the other ships we have sailed on.

our cabin was smaller too- but keeping in mind that the Pacific Sun was built and first sailed in 1986 I think we got a great cruise at a good price.

We had U74- opposite laundry and near elevators- real handy.

I noticed our cabins were smaller than the balconies we have previously booked but we soon adjusted and now I now I can easily live with an outside cabin- (if we can't afford a balcony)

Wouldn't want an inside cabin though as I love that natural sunlight.

We could actually see quite alot out of our window.

Being able to sail from Auckland to Auckland was great and my mum 78 years and my sister 56 years came too booking their own cabin.

Neither of them have ever cruised and they absolutely loved it.

The buffet food was disappointing but we ate mainly at Burgundy or bordeaux and did also try the steak house which was absolutely superb!!!

The food was to die for and for a birthday treat at $100 for 4 of us it was a small price to pay.

I was sorry we missed Ilse of Pines and Ovea as we did this same cruise on Pacific Dawn last year but only went to Mystery Island, Vila and Noumea so in essence did much the same.

Would never book shore tours on Noumea again- our tour was $55 each to Anse Vatu Beach and City- saw not much as 16 Pacific Island Ministers in town and Police tied up much of the area and also a strike was on. Anse Vatu beach was very disappointing.

There are tours inside terminal half the price.

We did enjoy our Vila tour $125 each -round Island tour and snorkelled where the filmed Survivor- absolutely fabulous!!!

We will not do this cruise again as we done it twice now- once from Sydney on Pacific Dawn and once on P. Sun from Auckland.

I would love to go to Ovea and Ilse of Pines but it seems as though its hit and miss to get there-Wouldn't risk a third cruise trying

Don't want to go to Noumea again!

If booking this cruise make sure when you go into Vila you take plenty of money for shopping at duty free after your shore tour- we did 8 hour tour and only had about 35- 40 bucks,

The prices were unbelievable - our kids smoke and a packet of 5 rolley's pouches was $27-$31 Aussie -

Usually $68 NZ duty free- Unfortunately I didn't have enough as hubby bought brandy,

But i did but cigarettes- talimades - carton Pack of 10 Pall Mall $15 Aussie.

Now to staff and crew- GREAT,

Atlantis show Lounge and entertainment- GREAT

Comedy- GREAT

Art Auctions - GREAT

Bingo- i did not play but someone won $6000 - Bet they thought that was great!!

Gambling - spent and lost $15 - last of big spenders,

Bought an Aussie $615 Topaz ring for $153.75

75 % off - FANTASTIC

My mum and my sister absolutely had a ball and we had a fabulous family holiday for my 50th- Hubby and I and Mum and my sister.

Took bus transfer from Hamilton to Auckland- fantastic value-

Mum got Wheel Chair assistance as she has heart issues and that fast tracked time boarding ship and meant she didn't have to cue.

Absolutely Fantastic.

Horse Racing an absolute hoot- I placed bets and lost!!

but had a fantastic time

Thank you P&O Australia for our wonderful Family holiday spent with my mum, sister and hubby.

yes great read,glad you all had fun, sorry u missed Ilse of Pines and Ovea, Noumea we are the same on that very pricey and all ways some trouble some where there reminds me of morsby and other parts of png lots of mesh and bars on doors and windows. not a place to go out at night or get caught of at night either

Hi Oysterfiend

Glad to hear you had a good time:). We are heading off and will be doing IOP, Mystery Isl and Vila (to name a couple) in October:D, hope we have better luck at seeing IOP and Mystery. Just a question about the Round Island tour in Vila you did, we are thinking of doing this but are unsure whether it would be suitable for kids (9,7,7) would they get bored, etc and aslo how much shopping time did you get at the end of the tour and where was the shopping done. I am tossing up to do the full day tour or a short tour in morning and the afternoon for shopping, what are you thoughts.

Lisa

Hi

Loved your review. I have been slack and haven't done mine yet.

Just a couple of quick questions. Why did they not replace Ouvea with Lifou like they did for us on the Pacific Dawn? Why did you spend two days in Noumea? (we got two days in Vila which i'm sure you guys would also have liked much better too ;)).

Just a couple of quick questions. Why did they not replace Ouvea with Lifou like they did for us on the Pacific Dawn?

I was on the same cruise as oysterfiend, so I will try and answer your questions.

We went to Lifou instead of Ouvea.

Why did you spend two days in Noumea? (we got two days in Vila which i'm sure you guys would also have liked much better too ;)).

As we could not make it to the Isle of Pines as the chef did not want swine flu, and chef has not yet talk to New Caledonia health officials about it.

Yes we went to Lifou and the snorkelling looked good but I didn't go snorkelling here, As it looked difficult to get down to and up again- lots of people in small area and slippery rocks.

However we didn't go down past the Church-as we had already walked along way going down the wrong path and been told to go back by a Kanak doing weedeating,

my sister went past the church and she said it was good.

I was disappointed about Isle of Pines as it seems the Chief is avoiding meeting with P&O

he has apparently cancelled about three meetings- I wouldn't hold my breath in that instance- Lifou may be a substitute for some time.

The Round Island tour was fun and seem to whizz by quickly, but with kids to pay for as well its expensive for a family and I don't know whether you would consider it worth it.

We did the one that stopped where survivors filmed and snorkelling there was easy off the beach-

Thanks all for the comments,

As I said Pacific Sun is an older ship but still a lovely way to holiday,

with great staff.

We have had to cook our own meals,make our own bed and had NO FREE ENTERTAINMENT at Atlantis lounge over the last couple of days.

Archived